This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventures in Grocery-Land

I worked express yesterday, so I have a few fun stories from that.

- I had a lady who just couldn't get her debit card to work; she kept sliding it and sliding it. Finally, I had to punch in the number and get the manager to come override it. She enters the wrong PIN, so we try again. I see her attempt to slide the card again, and then it hit me. She'd be sliding it the entire time wrongly. The reader is one where the person slides the card strip down and to the left. Her card was strip up and to the right. I only noticed this because she held her card up in preparation to slide; normally I can't see the reader unless I stand on my tippy-toes. I corrected her, and it went through. This whole thing took like ten minutes. Fortunately, the customers behind her were really cool about the whole thing; they all saw that she was doing it wrong.

-A guy comes through my line with way more then ten items. I let him through because the guy before him had more then ten items (not much more though) and I was afraid this guy would totally pull the racism card on me (he was black, guy before him was white). He tells me that he wants to use $10 in cash and put the rest on the EBT card. He hands me the cash first, which I enter first, thinking that I could to it like that. I learned that EBT can't be done that way, the EBT must come first, through this incident because the register charged the whole thing to his food stamps. Guy proceeds to fuss. I try to explain to him what happened and give him his cash back. Manager sees him fussing, comes over and tells him to come over to the front office and she'll just put the $10 on his card so that it would even out. Guy fusses all the way to the office because he didn't understand what was happening. He still fussed all the way out of the door. He was an older guy, so maybe he didn't really function as well in the brain.

- A family purchases a watermelon and some other things. After finishing with them, I go on break. I'm standing in line to buy a snack when the lady from the watermelon family comes up to me.

WL: You charged me for two watermelons! See, $6.98!
    Me: Actually, you got a seeded watermelon. Seedless ones are the ones for $3.48.
    WL wanders off in a huff. I purchase my snack and head over to the deli to eat. Really Cool Manager is over there too. She gets called to the front to deal with a customer. I look over there, and there's WL. I tell RCM that I already told WL that she got a seeded watermelon, but WL didn't believe me. RCM goes and deals with WL and her returned watermelon.

I only have one story for today, but it's not really express line related.

-There was a brief lull, so manager on duty and bookkeeper step out for a smoke. A few minutes after they go out, a lady comes in and stands by the front office, looking irritated. I finish with my customer and walk up to her.

POL=Pissed off lady

Me: Can I help you?
    POL: I want to return this (a package of mints) and get some change because I never got my change.
    Me: Ok, just let me go get a manager to return that and get your change *starts to walk to the door to get manager*
    POL: *in loud pissed off tone* Why'd you even ask me if you couldn't help me?
    Me: I can't do returns, ma'am.
    POL: I've been waiting *exasperated and angry sigh* Fine, just go get whoever.
    I left immediately at that point because I don't have patience for pissy people. I get manager and let her deal.

Of course, as soon as I go back inside, I have a line of 5 people again.

Quoth coop52
    Of course, as soon as I go back inside, I have a line of 5 people again.
    At a register with no cashier? They just lined up in hopes someone was working there?
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl
      At a register with no cashier? They just lined up in hopes someone was working there?
      But of course! The store can just pull extra cashiers out of thin air, dontcha know.

Or, at my store, they just push their cart up to the service desk and start unloading it before the person behind the desk can tell them to go the checkouts. And if the person at the service desk tells them to go to the checkouts, they always whine "But the lines are too long!"
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
      X