This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC told me to go to a different department

First, I'm a cashier. Even though this story takes place nowhere near the cash registers, it is still relevant.

So here I am taking a cart full of adjustments (broken crap that was returned) to the back so they can do whatever they do to them. To get there I have to pass through Hardware. So, on the way back with the empty cart, I get approached by a customer. A lot of the other cashiers, when this happens to them, will tell the customer that that's not their department and move on. I used to do that, but a manager told me that I need to learn how to help people on the floor a couple months ago, so in my duties of putting stock back on the shelves, I now need to know every department in the store to help customers.

SC: "I'm looking for tools for *unintelligible*."
    Me: "I'm sorry, what?"
    SC: "Tools for *unintelligible sounds like 'climbing'"
    Me: "Sorry, I don't think we carry those."
    SC stares at me
    Me: "Are you looking for something specific, I can search the computer for you"
    SC: "Yeah, pliers"
    Me: "Oh, they're in that aisle over there *points* and I saw some on the end of one of those aisles *points*"
    SC stares at me for a sec, then we head to the aisle I pointed to. Sure enough, there are pliers there.
    SC: "I wanted needlenose pliers. Where are they."
    Me: *looks down at the pliers on display* "Uh... needlenose pliers..."
    SC: "You should be transferred to another department. *unintelligible*." SC walks away.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking, is my service really that bad? He said a bunch of unintelligible crap, and I misunderstood him. Then he tells me to get transferred to another department.

Perhaps I should ask my manager if I can be transferred to hardware
    free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Being a small chain of family owned Hardware Stores, our big thing we have against the big box HW Stores (sorry BBHWS employees!), besides that "one item you can't find anywhere else", is Customer Service. Which I'm very cool with, because that's how I like to be treated when I'm a customer, and that's how I like to treat others. Nothing special, I don't believe I'm the only customer in the world, just good, but not overbearing service.

They want us to, if possible, (they don't force us, or threaten punishment if we don't, and they don't expect us to know exactly where every item is) greet every customer, and walk any customer that approaches any of us regardless of our Dept. to the item the customer wants. I'm more than happy to do that for a decent customer. But, being a Cashier, I'm frequently on my way to or from a Dept. to find a SKU number, either with my customer, or they are waiting back at the Register, along with a line. In that case, I'll try to be as polite and helpful as I can be and direct them to the item, or proper Dept. Again, I really agree with this policy.

However, there is hardly anything more frustrating than an unappreciative customer, because you didn't know exactly what, where, why in regards to their item, when you explain that you aren't part of that Dept, but you've tried to help them anyway. Especially when they do sucky stuff like mumble unintelligibely!
    Meow.........

Comment

Working...
    X