This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't read what I sign do you?

The answer to that is yes, only an idiot wouldn't!

Heres the storyfixed for hippa reasons)

I'm always off on the weekends, unless the emergency department is understaffed. I don't really mind, I'm working with a bunch of other students so we're pretty happy. So I'm working my Saturday morning 8-1p, no big deal. So I'm spending much of the morning registring outpatient testing (lab orders, x-ray, CT ect) and a few ER patients.

I have a patient come in as an acuity 5 (acuity goes from 1 being the most severe to 5 being somthing non emergency like a runny nose). When they signed in they are asked to sign a piece of paper that is a concent to treat, giving the hospital premission to treat the injury/illness. The father signed it and went to sit down. After the patient is assessedI called them to my cubicle and I begun registering. The department that needed do a test on her came and took her. She had never been there before so I was still taking down the information from the father. I came to the insurance portion and he gave me a HMO, we are a non HMO facility. There are signs when you sign in that we are a non provider, when you sign the premission to treat the paper states that as well.

I informed the father that we're a non HMO provider, he seemed ok. We do courtesy fillings because they sometimes will pay if it's an emergency. I tried to call his insurance company with no luck. I then explained to him that his insurance may have a higher deductable and a lower coverage for out of network insurace or may not pay at all. He got upset, I mean really upset. He stood up and started cussing me. He then asked where his daughter was and I told him that the department had taken her back for a few tests (he knew that) and he lost it. He walked out of the cubicle and started walking around the ER cussing, came back to me and said that he didn't give premission for that. He was swiftly informed that he did sign the premission to treat. He was very upset and asked who actually reads what they sign. Both me and my co-worker (who had come to back me up) both said we did. That only made him cuss more. He then informs us that this wasn't even an emergemcy (well why the hell did you come to the EMERGENCY ROOM?) His wife them comes up and tells me that she knows somone in another facility and that she'll have my job (ha! I grew up on the same street as the CEO and his kids so I'm safe).

They're bot cussing up a storm, the charge nurse (big guy) comes out and takes over, totally taking my side. He ushered them back to an area where they treat non emergency patients and she was seen and discharged. I wish I could tell you how non emergency this was, we'll just say it was equilivent to a paper cut.

I never heard anything about this, not even from my boss that loves to give me a hard time. I hope that their insurance rejected the claim and they had to pay all the fees: Hospital, ER, Doctor, department and the dr that red the results for that
    Last edited by 0oAmericanGirl; 07-16-2006, 10:35 PM.

He was very upset and asked who actually reads what they sign.
    That is the weakest argument ever. I've never been in that situation, but I can assure anyone that if I were, that would be the point at which I would become rather rude with him.

Comment

I've been in that customer position. I mean, yeah, frankly, I don't read every word of what I sign. If I'm signing for furniture or car rental or something, it's a pretty long document, and it's dead standard. I usually just figure they've got this basic stationery, they're not out to screw me, whatever is on it has to apply to everyone, and just sign it.

So once or twice I've discovered something not to my favour. Did I say "Oh who reads what they sign"? Did I argue with the employees that even though I signed it I still shouldn't have to be held to it? No, of course not. I just sucked it up, realising that at least it really is standard, I just miss-assumed something.

So yeah, I don't think people do read what they sign very often, but it's often not an issue. (And most people at least realise what it IS that they're signing, if not every detail of it).

Comment

god, i'd hate to be him in court, trying to argue that stance.
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

It would be one thing if the paper he signed was long, but it wasn't. He was also told what it was and what it ment at the desk. I hate it too since out hospital dosen't use the word patient, no they're customers.. I was hoping that I would never have to deal with customers again.

Comment

length doesn't matter...arguing that he didn't read it, or anything that might have been posted in plain sight won't hold up if he tried to fight it or sue, i'm thinking. not paying attention or choosing not to read it doesn't equal a free out.

i'd find that court case funny...
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I used to sign people up for cellphones, you think people would read especially if they are signing a two year contract for anything. Had a major headache dealing with a gentleman who was told there was a 15 day trial period on his phone service(he had looked at two, the other was 30 days). And became irate trying to return the phone 29 days into the service. Well I called the company to see if there was anything we could do, they asked to speak with him and basically said "You signed a contract that said 15 day trial period, we are not responsible if you didn't read your contract" That did not make him the least bit happy, but guess who goes out of his way to get the situation solved and get him taken care of? Me, but guess who got yelled and screamed at the entire time and not one word of thanks for getting him out of paying a 175$ early termination fee.

Comment

Working...
              X