This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seshat View Post
    Sheltering children from the mere existence of primary reproductive organs leads to situations like my mother found herself in, when she was in the labour ward with me.

*insert horrific tale*
    Whoa...I grew up as the kid of two medical army officers. When it got to be that time to have "the talk", mom whipped out Grey's Anatomy (not the tv show...:-P) and basically read the whole chapter on reproduction organs and such to me (and my brother come his time), complete with showing the illustrations in the book. I probably know more about that sort of thing from the medical standpoint than I should, but I also typed mom's school papers for her (she types 25wpm, I type 115wpm), and more than once lost my appetite when mom left her (graphic) medical journals open to some photos of some disease on the kitchen counter...so yeah...:-P

</offtopic>

The idea of people out there being that uneducated frightens me...
    Coworker: Distro of choice?
    Me: Gentoo.
    Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Oh Seshat, what a horrible story about the woman in the labour ward and good for your Mom to help her. Age appropriate sex-ed is so important, and not learning all sorts of wrong things from their peers when they are teens.

<ponder>So vagina is a dirty word now? All people should lern to keep it healthy, not just the women. Unless of course you think anything remotely related to human reproduction is bad.

Oh yeah... and babies are delivered by storks: New evidence for the theory of the stork
      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Indeed.

However, I *will* say that some of the rest of the cover is not appropriate for communities that choose to be more discreet about sexuality.

I deem the medical/safety information necessary knowledge, and (maybe because of Mum's experience) have always been raised that way. But intimate details of sexuality screamed out for the whole world to see? I consider that a lot more optional.

"100% Hotter Sex", "50 Ways to have fun with your guy" or "The new male sex habit that can hurt a relationship" would be my choices for 'this community doesn't want to see that' headlines.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

As I see it, this isn't fratching, and it's really not up to us to debate whether the cover is offensive or NSFW.

purplecat had the courtesy to put that label on there. I commend her for that.
          A lot of our members post links without any regard to what is contained in the link, either in the banner ads or in the text, and we mods have to go in and post "NSFW" disclaimers all the time.
          In my opinion, it's irrelevant if we, personally, don't find it offensive.

That is not the point of this thread.

This should be a discussion about a customer forcing his own morality on a store rather than whether he should even have a right to be offended.

We are not the judge of whether a person should be offended by a headline screaming about having a ""healthy sexy hoo-ha (vagina)" or "100% Hotter Sex Thrill every inch of his body using a move no woman has dared to try on him before"

As I said, that is for fratching.

CustomerSuck discussions should focus more on the aspect of a customer forcing an employee to remove a magazine from a sales rack because they, personally, were offended by it.
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
          X