Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when Hell freezes over (Rant, and longish)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when Hell freezes over (Rant, and longish)

Ok, This is just a pain in the ass for me at work and I just need to vent.

Now I understand that the building I work in is a historical structure, and as such you can't alter it to much on the inside. But for Heavens sake get a the D**n heater working correctly and insulate the basement. For the Love of the Almighty please insulate the basement.

The part of the store where the customers shop got to a Toasty 57 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday. And while yes it was 28 or so outside that is still way to cold for me and my co-workers to stand around in all day.

But onto the basement...which is old and decrepit and actually has vents that are rusted into one position...Open. So the person doing shipping (also known as Me) gets to sit in the basement all day using a computer in 47 degrees. By the end of the day my fingers actually hurt and my lips are so dry that they have chapped and occasionally are bleeding.

And I work in an outdoor store (camping hiking etc), but seriously if its gonna get that cold you have to let the employees wear the down jackets.

Sorry for ranting so.

ok i guess not that longish
    Last edited by iradney; 01-05-2010, 12:28 PM.

Check out the local health and safety regulations. In many cases involving workplace safety, those laws trump heritage regulations.

A friend of mine bought a home that was heritage listed in the UK, and because he used it for a home office he could make changes that would have been banned if he simply lived there.

Comment

yeah 47 degrees F is cold enough to kill if not properly insulated.
      To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
      my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

Comment

I'd suggest some USB powered heated gloves, or blanket, slippers-heck they make heated usb powered everything-and not too expensive.....
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I would think OSHA would have something to say about that.

Comment

Unfortunately OSHA considers temperature of the room to be acceptable if it is comfortable for employees in normal clothing. (paraphrased). and since my boss never takes off his jacket in the store its comfortable to him. Though i have had several people in store complain about it. I just hand out his personal business cards to them and tell them to contact him. He is already complaining about us giving out his card to customers with complaints. Though i dont think he will do anything about it because he hates "bothering" out landlord about anything. My next plan is to bring in a plug in space heater for me and anyone but him who has to use the computer downstairs. let him suffer until he gets his ass in gear.

Comment

Quoth Chainsmith View Post
              Unfortunately OSHA considers temperature of the room to be acceptable if it is comfortable for employees in normal clothing. (paraphrased). and since my boss never takes off his jacket in the store its comfortable to him.
              Wearing a jacket indoors is not "normal" attire unless you work in a meat locker. OSHA determines that standard, not your boss. I'd file a complaint if you've taken all reasonable action within your company.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                Wearing a jacket indoors is not "normal" attire unless you work in a meat locker. OSHA determines that standard, not your boss. I'd file a complaint if you've taken all reasonable action within your company.
                Thats just it OSHA does not determine a standard on this issue, it is left up to the companies. It is not considered a "health or safety" issue as temperature is a comfort or preferance and there for can not be given a definitive setting.

Comment

Quoth Chainsmith View Post
                  It is not considered a "health or safety" issue as temperature is a comfort or preferance and there for can not be given a definitive setting.
                  As noted, 47F is still dangerous. It can cause health issues, even if no one's really going to die. At that point, it is a health and safety issue. Unless you've already talked to them, and OSHA's said no, please, at least consider it as an option rather than dismissing it out of hand.
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

That number, kids, is (800)321-OSHA.
                    "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
                    "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
                    My MySpace
                    My LiveJournal

Comment

Working...
                    X