Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy new year... now here's a warning.

Well, to start the new year off right, last night my roommate topped off my aquarium for me. With 3 gallons of chlorinated, 50-60 degree water (tropical aquarium that I keep at 80-82). So the fish were in shock when I got home.

Made it to work on time today (a miracle since I had a clopen, and NEVER, EVER open anyway). Work was going relatively smoothly. Until I was BSing with a customer after she'd done a debit transaction. I even remember saying "$40.00 cash back as well, correct?" before sending it off for authorization. We kept BSing.. I closed the drawer, and handed her her bags/receipt and wished her a happy new year.

2 or 3 minutes later I thought "OH SHIT, I DIDN'T GIVE HER HER MONEY!". Ran outside to the parking lot, but since I'd had a couple of customers since her and was on express, I couldn't remember what she looked like... all I remember is average height/weight, 45-65 year old white woman with a regional accent (i.e. the one everyone in this part of Texas has).

Told the FES, got a printout of what my till should have and counted it... sure enough, +$40.

Talked to FES and he agreed to let me leave the $40 at the desk in case she came back for it, even talked to one of the cashup people about it and they agreed it would be less hassle. Store manager on duty and another FES told me that was a very, very, very, very bad idea and I should just take the hit on my record.

So... since my drawer was more than +/- $20, I get a written warning on my next shift. Good thing it wasn't for more, +/- $50 = writeup, +/- $100 = 2 writeups (which lands you on "final" for a year for general work performance).

I've never been off by more than a few bucks. It's extremely rare for me to be off more than a few pennies here and there, when I am off it's almost always under 25 cents. I think it's safe to say I lost my unofficial title of "Zero Hero" today.

Today is the one time I'm really hating our "1 till = 1 cashier" policy. I could easily blame it on someone else if we shared.
Working...
X