Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it troubling that anybody would even try to move the magazines to humor the guy. It implys that he actually has a valid complaint.

Comment

I'm just wondering what else was on that shelf... Maxim, FHM, High Times, any one of the tattoo artwork mags, etc.?
      "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

But, but.....id LOVE a healthy, sexy hoohaa... So would hubby... Lmao..ok, im done with the perv.

I think the man may have been overreacting. But its worth mentioning to management that they have those tabs that cover the magazine covers, but say the mag name on the front. That way the picture is covered, and if you want a mag, you have to reach behind the tab to grab it. And no borderling pics or topics for kids and others to see.

Comment

The Wegman's grocery store has a special holder for the Cosmo magazines. (And I think a few other grocery stores do also). The magazine holder (which is near the registers) has a placard in front of where the magazine goes (magazines go behind the placard) and it has the name of the magazine on the placard. All you can see of the Cosmo magazine is the name and the head of whomever is on the front cover.

I know there are some people out there who find it offensive and I don't mind them being displayed like that.

Comment

Sorry, but my daughter will be learning just as much about how to make sure her man's parts are healthy as my son will learn to make sure his lady's parts are healthy. Identifying STDs, cancers, hernias, and other such issues is all part of being a good partner. It also keeps your own body safe by keeping you from messing around from tainted goods.

The idea that there are people who still think that understanding the human body's functions is disturbing is... well, disturbing.

And can't people just grow up and call the parts by their proper names? Seriously, only giggly schoolkids call things vaja-jays or hoo-has or pee-pees.
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
              But, but.....id LOVE a healthy, sexy hoohaa... So would hubby... Lmao..ok, im done with the perv.

I think the man may have been overreacting. But its worth mentioning to management that they have those tabs that cover the magazine covers, but say the mag name on the front. That way the picture is covered, and if you want a mag, you have to reach behind the tab to grab it. And no borderling pics or topics for kids and others to see.
              They use those here in the great overreacting state of Utah for Cosmo in bullseye store. In a state where the largest age group can't use the potty by themselves yet and the average family size is 6 kids, why they're ashamed of sex is beyond me.

Edit: They're meaning "the majority of Utah". As someone who grew up in Texas, I still consider myself a Texan living in Utah, not a native. :-D

Last edited by Midorikawa; 01-02-2010, 11:11 PM.
              Coworker: Distro of choice?
              Me: Gentoo.
              Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

And yet the mag right next to it talks about a woman wanting to be a single mother.

<sarcasm>What is this world coming to? </sarcasm>
                Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I too fail to see the offensiveness of that mag, I've seen worse. The guy has a stick up his arse.

My daughter is 8 years old and she knows what sex is, if she comes to me with questions i'm happy to answer them, I won't be like my mother who thought that sex was teh evil.
                  I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
                    The part about the healthy Hoo-ha? Well, that's just hygiene there. Everyone should have a healthy hoo-ha. Or bing-bing, if that's the set they've been endowed with.
                    Well at least it's not a haunted hoo-ha, like this poor soul's: http://www.the-isb.com/?p=980. Warning! NOT SAFE FOR WORK!!!
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

The cover is neither NSFW or offensive. I fail to see how healthy sexual relationships or well-being is offensive...

But that's just me.

Comment

When you said lower left, I thought you meant how to Outsmart an Attacker.

That being said, I love Cosmo and read it every time we get new ones. Lots of funny and informative articles in it.
                        Military Spouse Support.
                        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                        Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

How about "vagoo"?

Yeah, I can't say I found it offensive in any way, though I did lose a couple of IQ points in the process.
                          Osoroshii kangae nimo osoware masu...

Comment

In the book "I <3 Female Orgasm" they discuss nicknames for the word "vagina", like book, thing, hoo-haa, etc.

I'm with whoever said it earlier-call it by its proper name. But having said that-are there seriously people who need Cosmo to tell if their vagina is healthy or not? If there's stuff dripping out of it that smells funny or something feels off, I'd go see a doctor, not pick up Cosmo and compare it to the magazine. Same if I had a penis-if there's something off, if it hurts or there's stuff dripping out, I'd go see a doctor.

And by "stuff" I mean the weird stuff, like discharge that smells rotten. Not pee or semen or blood, since those normally drip out of people's respective parts during certain times. :P
                            Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Really?
                              Really?
                              REALLY?!!!
                              He finds THAT offensive? Oh, good Lord. What a sad, sad, sheltered man.
                              http://prosenylund.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth purplecat41877 View Post
                                The offensive part is in the lower left hand corner of the magazine cover. I put NSFW just to be on the safe side.
                                "How to have a healthy vagina"?
                                Or "How to outsmart an attacker"?

I'm sorry, but to me it's pathetic and disgraceful that either topic is considered offensive. The first is no more offensive than any other body part - would "how to have a healthy eye" be a topic to be censored? Or "how to have a healthy liver'?

Sheltering children from the mere existence of primary reproductive organs leads to situations like my mother found herself in, when she was in the labour ward with me.

Her neighbour in the ward was in labour, of course, and nervously and shamefacedly asked my mother where the baby would come out.

She didn't know how she'd gotten pregnant. She'd just trusted that her husband knew 'what to do'. She had no idea about the possibilities of pleasure, contraception, or even disease (other than hushed-whispered horror stories).
                                She had minimal knowledge of menstrual management. She didn't know what type of flow was normal, how to keep clean, how to cope with bad days.
                                She. knew. nothing.

And she was in a labour ward, hours from childbirth.

Mum? Well, she asked enough questions to assess her neighbour's state of ignorance, then hit the call button for a nurse. The matron came in shortly afterwards, and Mum got to have a background murmur of necessary information for the next hour or so. :/

As for my brother and I? Well, I never got taught that sex could be pleasurable or any techniques for that, nor that it was possible that menstruation could be a bitch (or turn me into one!). But the mechanics of sex and primary sexual organs? OOOOH yes.
                                And the local librarians had on file written permission for me to access almost any book on the adult side of the local library: that particular library had no X-rated sort of material, but I had full access to layman-level medical stuff through it.

Mum was NOT going to risk me in a labour ward with that level of ignorance, nor my brother's future wife in such a state. (Nor my brother unknowingly impregnating anyone, for that matter.)

I am VERY against intentional-ignorance as a method of child rearing.

For some things - few things - it's okay to say "I don't think you're old enough to handle the information, ask me again later", but the things I put in that category are the Killing Fields of Cambodia, Auschwitz, the details of domestic abuse: true horror. Even those, I will give them information on a level they can understand. Domestic abuse, I might say 'it's a bit like Cinderella's stepmother, only real'.

But stuff like 'where babies come from', kids can handle. Even if you start on the level of 'when a Mommy and a Daddy love each other very much', and add more detail as they get older. Any kid old enough to read the word 'vagina' can understand when you tell them 'it's a special Mommy part that helps make babies'. And if they're young enough, that's probably all they WANT to know anyway!
                                Last edited by Seshat; 01-03-2010, 04:01 AM.
                                Seshat's self-help guide:
                                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                                X