This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer took credit slip

Today I had a customer come through my line, bought a few things. One of them was some razors. The box was inside a plastic case to prevent theft. I didn't have anything at my register or a nearby register to take it off. So I had him sign the credit card slip and gave him the receipt and ran up to the service desk to take it off, instead of sending him up there himself where he'd have to wait in a line for a little while(good customer service right?)
    So I come back, throw it in his bag and send him on his way. I go back around to my side of the register, greet the next customers, and look around for the credit card slip, because I didn't think I put it in my register yet. I saw the pen sitting on the little area to sign credit slips, but no credit slip. I look all around the register. Nothing. I open up the register, and didn't see a new slip in there(I had just organized them so if a new one was in there I would've noticed).
    So...great. He had to have taken it by mistake(why would someone actually take it?).
    So I asked my manager if anything could be done and she pretty much cut me off before I even finished explaining saying no and that I would come up short because there would be no slip in there.
    I'm afraid I'm going to be written up for it but I don't know if I should sign anything. It's not that I didn't notice he took it, I just noticed it too late. He was at the door and walking out when I noticed I didn't have it.
    It's not like it's cash, where if it's not in the register then it's just gone. The store is still going to get that money aren't they? It's not like the guy got all the stuff for free and his credit card isn't going to be charged. If that was the case wouldn't people try to take those slips all the time?
    I do my best to not do ANYTHING wrong when I'm working, and now I"m going to be short $20-50. I don't even remember how much it was. It's not like I'm going to be fired(as far as I know...I think I'd have to be short over $100 for that to happen). I don't have any infractions or anything...but still.
    I'm just stressing out about it and I don't know what to do. I even made sure to make sure of the time so I could let them know if anything could be done. But nope, apparently they can't do anything.

your register should not be short if the actual slip printed - whether the man took the receipt or not. The only thing the customer "may" do is try & claim it is a false charge & get it removed from his bill in which case his CC company might contact your work to get the charge taken off & the people who handle credit cards should know that if this happens & your work has cameras to prove it was the customer in the store who used the card - he could get in trouble for credit card fraud.
    You shouldn't get in trouble at all as far as I'm concerned - as long as the card went thru & the slip printed - your company should get the money.
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann
    RIP Plaidman - you are loved & greatly missed.

Comment

I wouldn't sweat it at all. The charge went through and your store will still get the money. I've accidentally given CC receipts a couple of times in the past and I never got in any trouble for it.
      Osoroshii kangae nimo osoware masu...

Comment

You (or the store) must have a process for reprinting a credit card receipt. The store WILL still get their money.

Even so.... you may have still violated your store policy by leaving your register without securing the transaction.

If they want to write you up they will find a way.

Comment

Quoth The Last to Know View Post
          your register should not be short if the actual slip printed - whether the man took the receipt or not.
          Actually, at my register jobs, we had to reconcile slips on hand with the automatic total at cash-out. If you lost a slip, you were short.

Part of the problem is, if a person wants to be an asshole, after they've taken the slip they've signed, you no longer have any proof the card was present, and they can dispute the charge. Since you don't have a slip, the store loses.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
          X