This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I lose my temper with ignorant jackass

Had a group to check in. Argggggh. A bunch of foreigners all crowded around my desk. Only one knew English. Let's call him IJ.

Me: Hello can I help you

IJ: Yes checking in, the name's [name]

Me: Ok I see 10 rooms under that name

IJ: Yes it's all booked under my name but we will be paying separately

Me: Ok that's goign to take some time. Give me a few minutes ok?

IJ: ??? Ok....

So I begin to check them in, going slowly because checkin in a mass group all at once is complicated, and I don't want to make a mistake. Meanwhile IJ begins complaining.

IJ: I don't see why it's so hard to check in a whole group at once! I mean at the other hotel we had no problems at all!

Me: There is no problem to do it, sir, it just takes time

IJ: *whine whine, bitch, mope, throw a fit* You just don't understand! You don't understand what I'm saying!

At that point, an inhouse guest who had already been checked in began to gather around me desk too, glaring, stressing me out further. IJ continues whining and saying that I don't understand him. Finally I had enough.

Me: Look, I do understand you. You said everyone's paying separately, correct?

IJ: *nod* Yes-

Me: So it's going to take some times because I don't want to mess up everyone with everyone. I have to take their info separately.

IJ: But WHY does it take time??? At the other hotel, it was fast! There was no problem!

Me: *speaking fast* It takes time because I have to do 5 steps for each person.

IJ: Five steps???

Me: 1. erase YOUR info on the reservation 2. put in their info 3. swipe their card 4. print and get them to sign 5. check and make keys. And each step takes about a minute. Times that by ten, you're looking at 50 minutes.

IJ: O.O *blink blink*

Me: So are you going to quit WHINING and take even longer or let me do my job? I'll answer your questions after I check everyone in. Just let me get this done first.

He shut up and nodded. I finally got it all done in 35 minutes (phew!) and he just left. I'm probably going to get a complaint for that, but man, he was riding on my last nerve bitching like that. THat's why it's important to give all the people in your party's info and credit card, so checkin would be much easier. Which is usually what people do. Not like him, just booking 10 room under his name and expecting fast service.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Ugh, yes! My hotel requires me to get all the information for every separate guest, and they start pitching a hissy fit when I ask for ID for each person, whether it's 3 rooms or 10 rooms! They also go nuts if I won't let someone check in under another person's name.
    "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
    Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
      That's why it's important to give all the people in your party's info and credit card, so checkin would be much easier. Which is usually what people do. Not like him, just booking 10 room under his name and expecting fast service.
      But doing one booking online was so much easier and faster for him! And if doing what he thinks he needs is easy for him, then surely it must be easy for you as well.

Another case of someone who didn't think things through and then decided to get whiny and mean about it instead of accepting the consequences of their actions.

And you have my sympathies on the "you just don't understand me" bit. Been there, mostly with people for whom English is not their first language, just assuming that I must be stupid and/or not listening when I can't give them what they want. You may have lost your temper, but I think you handled that well, proving that you did understand and that he should just shut up and wait.
      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
      - IPF

Comment

I gotta wonder which lie he chose about "the other hotel." Did it take them some time too, or had they reserved things differently? And I suspect he's played the you-don't-understand card before, which I've found is often a 'you're not very bright because I have an accent' comment in disguise.

Comment

What a dunce. "Why does it take time?" Oh, probably because ONE PERSON can't check in TEN PEOPLE simultaneously...
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            What a dunce. "Why does it take time?" Oh, probably because ONE PERSON can't check in TEN PEOPLE simultaneously...
            Or one can't clone themselves TEN times so each clone can handle each one of the 10 guests.

Another SC who walks around in a bubble and has no concept of the *gasp* real world.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
            X