This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for an argument

So I'm currently working for an engraving shop as a Seasonal Employee, my contract ends December 24th. At which point I have a few General Work Suck things to tell you all, but that can wait until I am done my contract. This story, however, needs to be told right now.

So the whole time I have been working for the engraving shop I have not encountered any major SCs. Maybe a couple of EWs, and some minor SCs, but for the most part all my customers are pretty darn nice. So Saturday, I am nearing the end of my shift and I'm talking to my CW Blondie. It's been dead all day, and I'm just manning the til while Blondie goes around cleaning all of the store's displays. Originally, Blondie was going to send me home early, but decided not to because she wanted to clean the displays and that's much easier to do if there is someone around to deal with customers. So Blondie is a fifth of the way through her cleaning, and I'm closing a sale, when our SC shows up to pick up a pen. Unbeknownst to me, she had ordered the pen the day before and wanted to pick it up by closing (6pm), but hadn't.

A little background: The only bus that can take our manager home leaves a few minute after six, and only runs once an hour. So we tend to start closing shop around 5:50 or so. Now the manager might leave at 5:57 to catch her bus, but unless she is closing alone, one of the staff will always stay until 6pm to insure we are open until the last possible minute. We advise customers to arrive before 6 just to be safe.

Anyway, I close my sale with my customer and retrieve the SCs item from out pick up locker. I bring over the pen, and show her how lovely the engraving is, and make sure she likes it. She says it's good, and as I'm bagging it she starts.

SC= So I thought you guys didn't close until 6pm?
    Me= *Thinking she's referring to Blondie cleaning up* Oh no, we're open. Blondie just wanted to clean the displays. We are open for another half hour or so.
    SC= Yeah, because I came here last night at ten to six and you were closed.
    Blondie= No, we closed a 6.
    SC= No I was here at ten to six and you were closed.
    Blondie= I closed last night, and we were open until 6pm. In fact, I stayed and watched the store until ten after six and no one showed up.
    SC= You weren't because I was here at six and you were closer. (Notice how she was saying ten to, and now has changed)
    Blondie= I was here until ten minutes after close, and no one showed up.
    SC= Well I guess your clocks are just wrong.
    Me= *Looks silently between Blondie, SC, the Mall's clock, and our digital clock*
    Blondie= Must be.
    SC= HEY! I'm just saying that my cell phone clock must have a different time from you, because i was here at 6 o'clock. Anyway, I'm leaving.
    Blondie= Alright, have a good day.
    SC= Why can't you just DROP IT! I said my clock must have had a different time.
    Blondie= *calm but confused* and I just said "Have a good Day"
    SC= *says something i can't hear and storms off*

My guess is that the woman is used to stores that are unable to close on time because of the amount of customers, so they are open for nearly 20 minutes after close. The shop is small enough that one person can run it alone, because we don't get that many people coming in at once. So we always close exactly on time. It was hard for me not to laugh when Blondie ended the argument and wished the customer well, and the customer just kept going on. She came pretty close to Blondie as she was leaving, I half expected her to do something.
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Sounds like she was itching for an argument. People who do that have no lives!

Comment

Oh, you wanted arguing, I'm sorry, this is CONTRADICTION!
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        Oh, you wanted arguing, I'm sorry, this is CONTRADICTION!
        No it isn't!
        I no longer fear HELL.
        I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Lol. I used to get people like that back when I worked at a charity bookstore. Cuz I was pretty much running it alone, due to their lack of staff and my lack of anything better to do with my time, having left college and being unable to find a job, I used to close on the dot of five thirty, no exceptions. My main method was to lock the door at twenty past, announce that I was doing so, and let customers still inside out one by one, unlocking the door then relocking it. If anyone moaned, I'd just say that I had a bus to catch and my boss wasn't about to get rid of me seeing as if he did, he'd have no staff at all. XD Still wish sometimes that I still had that freedom nowadays.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Enjis View Post
            No it isn't!
            Yes, it is!!
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Did someone call us?
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                Oh, you wanted arguing, I'm sorry, this is CONTRADICTIONabuse!
                Fixed that for ya...

Comment

*grabs a pair of CHC-MX semi-automatic assault bananas*
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
                    SC= HEY! I'm just saying that my cell phone clock must have a different time from you, because i was here at 6 o'clock. Anyway, I'm leaving.
                    Blondie= Alright, have a good day.
                    SC= Why can't you just DROP IT! I said my clock must have had a different time.
                    Blondie= *calm but confused* and I just said "Have a good Day"
                    SC= *says something i can't hear and storms off*
                    "WHY CAN'T YOU SEE HOW RIGHT I AM??"

Never quite sure what to say to people who demand that. It's amazing how desperate people can be to be right about the most minor things.

"I'm right, you're wrong!"
                    "Actually, I'm right."
                    "No, I'm right, you're wrong!"
                    "Well, I'm right, but it doesn't really matter."
                    "NO I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG!"
                    "Fine. You're right."
                    "It's not enough for you to say I'm right, you have to say you were wrong!"
                    "Can we just drop it?"
                    "SAY YOU WERE WRONG!"
                    "*sigh* I was wrong, Dad."

BUT I'M NOT BITTER
                    Last edited by EricKei; 12-17-2013, 02:27 AM. Reason: trimmed the quote a bit more

Comment

Some people apparently believe there is a great cosmic book out there somewhere that records how many times they are right, and how many times they are wrong, and by damn they are going to make sure they have more check marks in the "right" column than in the "wrong"!
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                        Lol. I used to get people like that back when I worked at a charity bookstore. Cuz I was pretty much running it alone, due to their lack of staff and my lack of anything better to do with my time, having left college and being unable to find a job, I used to close on the dot of five thirty, no exceptions. My main method was to lock the door at twenty past, announce that I was doing so, and let customers still inside out one by one, unlocking the door then relocking it. If anyone moaned, I'd just say that I had a bus to catch and my boss wasn't about to get rid of me seeing as if he did, he'd have no staff at all. XD Still wish sometimes that I still had that freedom nowadays.
                        This is the exact reason why I like the fact that I'm one of the only guys besides the boss who has been trained in closing procedures at the arena, I was able to negotiate a setup so that I could start cleaning up about 20 minutes before closing time and then boot everyone out smack on closing time since if I didn't get out by a very specific time, I would miss my bus, which incidentally is the last bus of the night - if I miss it, I have to get a taxi (which I have thankfully only ever had to do a couple of times due to the fire alarm going off and the boss covered the bill for me)

Boss tends to be quite negotiable since he knows that it is either that or doing the closing shift himself or wasting valuable hours training one of the other part timers to be able to do a closing shift on the off-chance I may not be able to do it. He decided to be flexible.
                        Violets are blue,
                        Roses are red,
                        I bequeath to thee...
                        A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Sounds to me that he was less concerned about being right and more concerned about getting the last word in.

Comment

Working...
                          X