X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth corwin02 View Post
    Mind you this is in Euro's so in U$ it would be 145,254.=
    10 Euros for a coke? Seriously? I can get a coke for 60p from the machine at work!

Note: 10 Euros = $13.50 = £8.38
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
      10 Euros for a coke? Seriously? I can get a coke for 60p from the machine at work!

And that may well be only a glass (with ice) rather than a full can.
      "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post

In Venice at the St. Marco piazza they will charge you 10 Euros for a coke (0.25 cl) as well

If you go one street down it is 2 euros for half a liter.

I guess tourists will pay anything.

Comment

I couldn't guess exactly how long that would feed us, but to put it into perspective, it is variously 1.5 the cost of our house [we paid $91 000 in 1990], our combined income before taxes for roughly 2.5 to 3 years, and probably the entire cost of running our little household including mortgage, food, utilities, insurance, fuel for the car, and fuel for the furnace for 3 and a third to half years if we didn't have any state or federal taxes or deductions coming out. Or 12 years of my pittance [12K $US]
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Ugh. And that's one of the main reasons I don't like to visit New York.

Now, it's none of my business how people spend their money. I wouldn't want people criticizing me for my purchases... but when you're spending thousands of dollars on a couple of bottles of wine or whatever, MAYBE you might want to re-evaluate your life and kick a few bucks towards someone who actually needs it. Hopefully they already do that.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
              Ugh. And that's one of the main reasons I don't like to visit New York.

Now, it's none of my business how people spend their money. I wouldn't want people criticizing me for my purchases... but when you're spending thousands of dollars on a couple of bottles of wine or whatever, MAYBE you might want to re-evaluate your life and kick a few bucks towards someone who actually needs it. Hopefully they already do that.
              I think it is more a matter of perspective,

If you make 10k to 15k an hour 100k is a days work and a days income is not much to drop on a meal comperatively speaking.
              Also a 100k investment on a business meal to seal a billion dollar deal is not unreasonable.

Comment

I've been to NYC three times, and have fed myself quite well, without needing to pay ridiculous prices like that restaurant!

On a recent visit I found one yummy Thai restaurant that I went back to three times- an appetizer and main course set me back just over $20 including a tip. Mind you, I don't drink alcohol much, so I saved some money on that front- overwhelmingly, these huge bills are made of booze, it seems.

Comment

Yah, but at what point does it go from "I'm spending a years' mortgage payments on one bottle of booze because I can afford it and I like what it tastes like" to "I'm spending a years' mortgage payments on one bottle of booze because I want to impress the person I'm with about how rich I am"?

Is any booze worth that much money?

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    Yah, but at what point does it go from "I'm spending a years' mortgage payments on one bottle of booze because I can afford it and I like what it tastes like" to "I'm spending a years' mortgage payments on one bottle of booze because I want to impress the person I'm with about how rich I am"?

I suppose it depends on how much the opinion of other people matters to you. Some people can only find self-worth in showing that they not only keep up with the Joneses, they blow them out of the water.
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                      On this forum, that maybe a question only Jester could answer, although it may only apply to expensive rum.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        On this forum, that maybe a question only Jester could answer, although it may only apply to expensive rum.
                        Got to agree on that. Personally I don't like being 'courted' by having expensive items tossed at me that I am not really qualified to judge, and to be perfectly honest and paraphrasing my sommelier ex BF 95% of all wine snobs couldn't tell the difference between 2 buck chuck and the most expensive etherial french wine without reading the label. I would much prefer an excellent tasting menu by someone with real talent because that I can judge, and most people can judge food by taste without a long and expensive education.
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                          -snip- and to be perfectly honest and paraphrasing my sommelier ex BF 95% of all wine snobs couldn't tell the difference between 2 buck chuck and the most expensive etherial french wine without reading the label.
                          Agreed. My husband was reading some interesting studies and shared them with me where a lot of those wine snob types (not the expensively trained folks but the ones who claim to be able to tell the difference) were put to a blind taste test and as often as not chose the super-cheap wine over the really expensive vintage.

And I'm with you on preferring excellent-tasting food (and not just because I don't drink). Give me divine cuisine any day.
                          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Maybe my tastes just aren't as refined as the rich, but there is no food on Earth that could possibly be good enough to drop that much money on. Seriously. I might be willing (if I wasn't unemployed and broke) to go to a fancy steak place in town and pay $50 a plate for a full course meal. I might be willing to go to the Brazilian grill in downtown Portland and pay $60 to have gauchos with short swords carve meat off spits in front of me and serve up all you can eat. But no FREAKIN' way is food, no matter HOW good, worth THAT much. You could feed an entire Army corps a nice dinner for a quarter of that!

Comment

These bills prove that too many people have more dollars than sense.
                              This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Working...
                              X