This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My usual Christmas wish.

Every year I read stories on this site about people who've "ruined" someone's Christmas. I'm so jealous. I have fantasies about having stickers made with a crossed out Santa face that I could fix to the counter when ever I hear the phrase that would make me feel I accomplished something during the holiday season.

Please let it be this year.

When I worked for Make-A-Wish, I used to dread the 2-3 weeks after Christmas because we always got calls from people yelling at us that we ruined Christmas because the card they asked us to send for the donation made in their honor as a gift wasn't received.
    99% of the time, it was received but the recipient thought it was us soliciting donations and just threw the card away.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I'm trying to remember the circumstances, but I think I managed to ruin a Christmas without even working in retail. There are always additional opportunities to be had, from grabbing the last Perfect Gift in the store to just saying "Happy Holidays!" to the wrong person. All you have to do is make them feel that you've deprived them of something.

I mean, the Grinch practically took every stick of Christmas cheer from every house in Who-Ville, and even stopped to play with some of the toys, and even HE couldn't ruin Christmas. But I guess when your heart's two sizes too small...

Comment

I had someone tell me I ruined Christmas because she ordered a bunch of stuff and had it shipped to the wrong place. Then she tried to cancel but everything but one item could. She kept hemming and hawing about it and arguing about why I can't cancel the other ones to the point where she finally said to cancel the one she could it was too late. Then she blamed me and I had to tell her that I can't cancel something without the customer saying cancel it. She then went at me about how embarressing it will be to tell this person that she needs to send it all back.
        The angels have the phone box.

Comment

Keep a notepad and pen in your pocket. Have a page to flip to that just has a tally. Whenever someone says you ruined their christmas, make another tally mark.

Or if you prefer, have some santa stickers. Attach a happy santa whenever someone thanks you for helping them; attach a santa and then cross him out whenever someone says you ruined christmas.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

If I had one wish that I could wish this holiday season, it would be that all the children of the world to join hands and sing together in a spirit of harmony and peace.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Juggler View Post
              I have fantasies about having stickers made with a crossed out Santa face that I could fix to the counter when ever I hear the phrase that would make me feel I accomplished something during the holiday season.
              Sort of how WWI aces would paint their "kills" on the sides of their planes
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                Sort of how WWI aces would paint their "kills" on the sides of their planes
                Didn't Richtofen have a row of beagles?
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I have ruined someone's life with toothpaste. Is there a way to beat that?

Comment

I managed to ruin someone's Christmas all the way back in June. I was really proud of myself.

Comment

Wow,

You know, in 7 years of working security at a mall, I don't think I've EVER ruined a Christmas. I feel like I've failed!

Well, wait. I was my fault when cars got broken into because someone left their purse sitting on the front seat during holiday season; does that count?
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I haven't ruined Christmas yet this year (just give it time, I'm sure), but I did have a few people tell me I ruined Hanukkah...because you know it's my inability to get the post office to deliver the things that they ordered on the afternoon/evening on Friday the 22nd (or later) to them by Wednesday the 27th, and not their selecting the standard delivery (5-10 business day) that is really at fault.

Comment

I ruined someone's Christmas on Saturday. It was FUN!

For the first time in ages, I actually live in a flat that has room for a Christmas tree. And as I've been good, financially, this year, I thought I'd treat myself to a nice artificial tree that should do me a few years.

So off to the internet I toddled, and found a fabulous 6 ft pre-lit, pre-decorated tree for £35. Bargain I think. Then I look again. It's reduced to half price (Do they realise it's not January yet. It's prime "Christmas tree buying" season). Not one to argue with nearly £20 off a tree, I order it online to be delivered to my nearest store.

I get the call on Saturday and off I toddle to pick it up and get my last few bits of present shopping. I go to the Customer Services desk and give them the details, and then tell them that I've got some browsing to do, and I'll stop off after I've paid for the rest of my stuff to get it. I previously worked in this store (but not this branch) so I know what it's like having customers hang round waiting for orders when the warehouse isn't being particularly speedy.

Anyhoo...I've done my shopping and I go back to Customer Services. No tree. That's OK, they're busy. I'm joking with one of the staff about how you can never get anyone from the warehouse onto the shop floor during opening hours cos they're scared of customers, the usual stuff, trying not to be a SC, you know how it goes. Said staff member says that she's going to get it herself to stop me waiting much longer.

At this point, another lady comes up and asks for a tree - it appears she's seen the adverts and is interested in the same one as the one I've bought. The shop have sold out, and are waiting for stock to come in, but the guy behind the counter points the lady to the in-store computer and says that if she orders (and pays) there, they'll get one specially delivered to her, or she can do the same online from home. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

At this point, my tree arrives from the warehouse. The SC goes absolutely MENTAL: "You said you didn't have any of that tree" "Why won't you sell me a tree" "Why are you hiding all your stock in the warehouse". At this point, I say that it's my tree, I bought it online for in-store delivery like the guy was suggesting she did.

Oh crap I engaged the crazy.

I should give her my tree (nope)
                          It's her grandchild's first christmas, she needs this tree (nope)
                          That's not my tree, it's her tree, she asked for it first (nope)
                          I'm ruining her Christmas by not giving her my tree (nope).

At this point, I just said that she really should learn the true meaning of Christmas (by which I mean too much food and booze but I wasn't telling her that ) if me not giving her my Christmas tree could ruin it, and that her grandchild wouldn't know whether there was a Christmas tree or not, so not to try to guilt trip me.

And then, having signed for my order and thanked the staff and wished them a Merry Christmas, I walked off swinging my tree jauntily and chuckling to myself.

I like ruining peoples' Christmases, particularly when I didn't actually do anything

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                            Well, wait. I was my fault when cars got broken into because someone left their purse sitting on the front seat during holiday season; does that count?
                            That's worse (better?) than a lot of other ruiners.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth cashierbex View Post
                              I have ruined someone's life with toothpaste. Is there a way to beat that?
                              TELL THE STORY! *goes to find popcorn*
                              I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Working...
                              X