Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discount Store Rants (ID) (Language) (Very long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kirundist View Post
    You can't buy guns in the UK.
    I didn't think even the POLICE could carry guns until the mid-90s or so?

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
      I didn't think even the POLICE could carry guns until the mid-90s or so?
      Reminds me of that old Robin Williams standup routine, "Stop...or I'll say stop again!"

Comment

I like getting carded. I guess I look under 25. In fact, I was just carded a couple of weeks ago.

BTW, I'm 54.
        I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Hell, I have my ID before I get to the cashier.

Comment

Quoth Kirundist View Post
            You can't buy guns in the UK.
            You can buy airguns (Co2 ones can even handle steel pellets) but if you are caught carrying it in public you are likely to be in trouble. Also most employers would have rules against employees being armed with a gun or a knife etc.

Honestly the best way to deal with something like that is martial arts. No weapons, if they are close enough to you and are threatening you then its self defense.
            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
              I like getting carded. I guess I look under 25. In fact, I was just carded a couple of weeks ago.

BTW, I'm 54.
              In my job, we have to card anyone who looks younger than 40, so I feel your pain. I'm 56, so I'm ready to kiss the cashier if they ask me for ID!!!!!!!

Comment

I got carded for buying a PS3 and 3 R-rated (18+) games about a month ago. For the record I turn 37 at the end of next month.

Comment

I just do NOT get having a hissyfit at the cashier over ID. Hell, the last time I was carded for something age-related, I nearly tackle-hugged the cashier!

Comment

That beefy neck guy in particular... that's scary.

I don't get the id-freakouts either. I always pull my id out and have it in hand whenever I'm buying something I know is age-restricted... 'cause I know I look young to some people.

Comment

Quoth kibbles View Post
                      I love getting asked for ID simply because it means I look younger than 25!! And how stupid are people who say "well I will buy it for them"..instead of being discrete! :S

It does suck that the law requires you to card for regularly used every day items. It it just for aerosol deodorant or any deodorant??
                      Actually, it is just for aerosols; to require ID for roll-ons would just be silly!

Comment

LOLOLOL!! The question did sound silly as I typed it..but it was something I always wondered..hehe

Comment

I am so glad you are out of there. You totally do not deserve any of that crap. I can't believe your manager didn't call the police over Mr. Roid-Rager. Big muscly bully threatening a skinny girl a third his size, he ought to be ashamed of himself and quite frankly, he belongs in jail.

I'm another one who doesn't see the point of flipping out over being asked to show ID. It's a little plastic card that fits easily in a pocket, it's not like it's eight feet across and made of lead. You pull it out and show it to the cashier, who most likely does not have a photographic memory and isn't trying to steal your identity or rob your house or whatever you're so damned paranoid about.

While I do think it's a little silly for aerosol deodorant to be an age-restricted product, I didn't write the law and neither did you, but everyone has to follow it. I know why it is, of course; idiots trying to get high. Same reason Sudafed is prescription-only here when it used to be over-the-counter. It's an annoyance to law-abiding citizens, but it is the law and it must be followed. Screaming at the cashier over it does no good and only makes the screamer look like an asshole.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I get carded on a regular basis for cigarettes or beer and im 30 and balding. I don't take it personally.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                              ... idiots trying to get high...
                              If they'd been trying to legislate sanity in my day, bananas would have been age-restricted.
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I always treat these idiots like I would an unrestrained dog on the street. You clear your mind, clear your facial expression to as neutral as you can, relax your shoulders, step back one pace and lace your hands at your front, making sure you keep your eyes fixed on theirs.

Like most savage animals, they rely on scaring their prey. And they "feed" off your fear, getting their pleasure out of knowing they've frightened you. Treat them with the same sarcastic disdain you would treat a loose animal.

Comment

Working...
                                X