This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What term would you like?

We're moving a shelving system. I'm hardly impressed with my MiM because the first time we moved it, I had 4 guys, this time around it's just me and an unknown sub-contractor. But that's just another day in paradise with Mickey Mouse Moving so off I go.

We get to site and I'm not happy to see that a clueless moron that I've had to deal with before. Her job as she sees it is to open the door for us. Literally, this is what she has told me before when I try to get instructions and/or clarification from her. I don't know what her real job is, but she could really put in some more effort when she is the person responsible for one of these projects. Tonight was no different, she doesn't even know what floor we're supposed to be on, let alone where anything is, or what we're supposed to be doing there. I don't know how she expected to handle the monumental task of opening a door when she couldn't even be bothered to find out which door it is that is supposed to be opened, but for some reason she still has a job.

Since I know what is going on, I do her job for her and get things rolling. We get the shelving apart and moved to it's new location. Once again, she's completely clueless, she doesn't know where the shelving is supposed to be re-installed in it's new spot. I compel her to actually do some work and figure this out, or she can authorize me to just install it wherever I damn well please. She elects to get the job done right.

Okay, that's done, now you can go back to being useless. But I come across another problem. The shelving system is comprised of three independent units; they have a wheeled sliding system so it is essential that they are level. The first two go in without a hitch, but then I get to the third. Problem 1 is that the floor slopes to the right, so I had to raise things up pretty high at that end. Problem 2 is that the third unit has a different glide in it that is shorter, it is impossible to raise it high enough to match the other units. No big deal, they are all independent units, it just looks off, and poses a tripping hazard. I point out the problem, explain the cause and reasons, and propose keeping them apart by a couple of feet to eliminate the tripping hazard.

She completely ignores my explanation, or it just soars over her head, I'm not sure which. I have to explain it again. She doesn't understand what I mean by this term "level". She doesn't believe me when I tell her that every building has non-level floors. She doesn't believe me when I tell her that they are 2 different glide systems. She doesn't believe her own eyes when I show her the shorter glide falling right out when I try to match it to the height of the other. She doesn't get any of it, but of course rather than believing what the professional furniture technician is telling her, she decides that I'm either an idiot who doesn't know what I'm talking about, or that I'm a sexist asshole trying to pull one over on a woman.

I see her taking some pictures, sending some emails, and making some phone calls. Her final conclusion is that she has to get a man to get me to do this right. I don't know what piece of woodwork this dumbass crawled out of, but he comes out of nowhere and starts talking to me.

DA: The floor isn't bad.
    Me: Okay
    DA: Yeah, this is a 9 foot run and it's only a 1/4" difference along there.
    Me: Okay, the high point is in the middle and it's more like a 3/4" difference if you check properly, but whatever buddy.
    DA: Well that's still not very bad
    Me: Okay, that's a matter of opinion; are you going somewhere with this?
    DA: Well you said you can't level that out because the floor is bad.
    Me: No, I said I can't level it because the glides on the third unit are too short.
    DA: But you said the floor is bad.
    Me: Yeah, what is your point?
    DA: It's only a 1/4" over 9 feet, that's not bad.
    Me: Okay, what is more palatable to you? Imperfect? Not great? Less that good? Close but no cigar? It doesn't make a difference what I call it, I have to raise it this high to have it level.
    DA: But why can't you just raise that one that high?
    Me: You obviously weren't listening when I said that it's a different system with smaller glides.
    DA: But it looks the same.
    Me: You obviously weren't listening when I said that it's a different system with smaller glides

He got pretty pissed with my attitude here and I was already fuming so we kind of just parted ways at this point. Their final conclusion was that I'm stupid and/or too lazy to do things right, and my final conclusion was that I didn't give a fuck. I wrote things up and it's up to my MiM to work it out.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Stupid question, could you have swapped it with another unit that has the other glide system that's on a more level section of floor?

Comment

I'd put (a little) money on the two systems being of some different size so that no part will work with any different system. "Thou shalt buy all accessories through US, forsaking all others"

Comment

I think that Shadow was implying that you should take the unit with the short glides and put it in the position that needs the least height.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          I think that Shadow was implying that you should take the unit with the short glides and put it in the position that needs the least height.
          An option, but given that I had 2 guys to do a 4 man job, I didn't have the luxury of time to go swapping things around and finding the optimum placement for each unit.
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
          Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Working...
          X