Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sickbay

IBS?
Old 08-02-2018, 04:56 AM
I'm not bitter. I'm informed.

Default IBS?

Anybody else on here dealing with this? I don't have an official diagnosis but I have all the signs/symptoms (getting in to see my doc can take weeks or even months; my next appt with her is for JANUARY!)

Anyway, what I'm wondering is - why the hell do I feel like crap in the morning and afternoon, when anything I eat or drink goes right through me, but in the evening, I start feeling better and better. Dinner doesn't usually upset my gut, and by 11 PM or so I feel FINE. Even if I eat or drink something late in the day, it doesn't upset my stomach.

Obviously not looking for a medical diagnosis, just wondered if anyone here has IBS and has this kind of weirdness throughout the day.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:20 AM
call centre support

Yes, I have this it's quite common in the morning , from lying down all night , or from stress about the coming day or past day, or from food , I work at call center so it's very hard , because I can't just pop out to the bathroom .

Old 08-02-2018, 06:58 PM
former floor monkey

Pretty much every morning for me. It takes my gut a couple hours every day to find equilibrium. And if I have to get up earlier than normal, I'm off balance all day.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:42 AM
I need a life

If the time frames can be switched on those symptoms then I must have it.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:02 AM

I'm trying an experiment. I am skipping my thyroid meds for a couple of days to see if that makes a difference. That stuff is brutal.

This morning I wasn't too bad, and after having some ginger peach tea and a cookie, my stomach felt better than it has all week. I try to avoid carbs because of my blood sugar, but the only thing that settles my stomach is a carby thing like a cookie. And the ginger probably helped, too.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:39 AM
Area Manager

I have IBS-C, which is the opposite of what you have. (As well as IBD, which is a bigger problem.)

I'd like to suggest trying even more fiber in your diet, and experimenting with some things that you'd think might make it worse, like prunes.

Also, stress can exacerbate this, and can even result in a positive feedback loop; more gut problems means more stress, which means more gut problems, etc.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:47 PM
Bagger

I was diagnosed with IBS, right before they found out I had a gallstone (I actually told them I had a gall stone - found in a prior ultrasound by a gynecologist - but what would a patient know right?). At which point the diagnoses changed to severely inflamed gall bladder. The real problem with most IBS diagnoses is it's a catch all - they use it when they haven't (yet) found some other cause. And yes, like many others have said, stress makes it all more complicated.

You'll probably have to go longer than a couple of days to judge if you're taking thyroxine - the half life of it is 5 to 7 days, so it takes a really long time for a dosage change to actually make a significant difference. My doctor usually waits a month before doing a blood test to see the effect of any dosage changes. That said - you should probably consult with a GP before going too long without, thyroid hormones are impressively complex and important.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:45 AM

If this is IBS, it alternates between one effect and the other, if you get my meaning. I spent most of April in one mode - which I believe is why I lost some weight around then - and then it changed in May. It goes back and forth.

I am looking into foods and other things that reportedly can exacerbate it - caffeine, carbonated drinks, artificial sweeteners, other stuff.

Stress is definitely part of it.

I'll start taking my thyroid meds again. I could wait out the 5-7 days but there's no way to get a scrip for more bloodwork without seeing the doctor, and it's so damn hard to get in there.