This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth greek_jester View Post
    So, has everyone else watched the latest episode now? Talk about hitting you in the feels...
    Yeah, that one was kinda sad, but you know when I almost burst out crying?

When the aliens explained that now, instead of killing, they come to witness a death so that no one dies alone. That was one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. I kinda have a thing about that, I guess, and to me this is a supreme act of kindness.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      When the aliens explained that now, instead of killing, they come to witness a death so that no one dies alone. That was one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.
      Yes, this. All the way through, the characters were fully fleshed out enough that you cared. Even the "demons", you could feel the grief and guilt and determination pouring out of the screen.

As for the lead-up to Prem's death, I was curled up around a cushion. You knew it was coming, but all the way through there was a part of you hoping that they could find a way around it. Prem was too nice a person to die like that.

One thing that this episode did highlight, though; although there are some things Britain can be genuinely proud of, when it comes right down to it we've also got a heck of a lot to be ashamed of. There's a good reason why a good portion of the world really doesn't like us.
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

when it comes right down to it we've also got a heck of a lot to be ashamed of. There's a good reason why a good portion of the world really doesn't like us.
        If it counts, I like you! And the good ol' USA has got a lot NOT to be proud of, too, but there has also been progress (up until recently *cough* will say no more).

Comment

Doing things to be proud of, and things to be ashamed of, is called "being human". Even the most wonderful people have done things that are pretty crappy. And even the most despicable people have done things that are good. That's why I take a moment to internally celebrate when I hear of something good being done by someone I think is awful.
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I do think we've got better, although there are still people in living memory who have good reason to dislike us (Wales, for instance; up until the 60's Welsh was banned in schools and nothing official, road signs, official documents, etc. was ever in Welsh).

We are improving, but until everyone who was alive in these situations have passed away and we've spent a lot more time trying to repair some of the damage (*cough*Africa*cough) the last couple of generations are going to keep taking a lot of stick for the actions of the previous few.
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

That's why I like to see episodes of something like Dr. Who address some of these issues. It shows an awareness that a wrong was done, and sometimes, there might be something you can do to help mitigate the bad stuff. And there's nothing wrong with that in sci-fi and fantasy. The most popular sci-fi shows have always been about fairness, equality, compassion, empathy, and righting wrongs. Star Trek did it, and did it so well that a lot of fans did not even realize what they were looking at. They thought it was all about blasters and aliens, but that was just window dressing for the story.

Comment

So was last week's episode (#10) the season finale?? All of ten episodes for the whole season?

Comment

Yep, it was.

Comment

Is there not going to be a Christmas episode this year?
                    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

OK, so I found out there's an animated short Christmas thing about Santa's sleigh "not working" which makes no sense because reindeer, so he borrows the Tardis. It's literally just a couple of minutes long. And there's going to be a New Year's thing on January 1.

And then the new season doesn't come out until 2020.

WTF DOCTOR??? I have to go a WHOLE YEAR without any Dr. Who???

Yeah, yeah, I could catch up on all the ones I've missed, but....A YEAR??

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        OK, so I found out there's an animated short Christmas thing about Santa's sleigh "not working" which makes no sense because reindeer, so he borrows the Tardis. It's literally just a couple of minutes long. And there's going to be a New Year's thing on January 1.

And then the new season doesn't come out until 2020.

WTF DOCTOR??? I have to go a WHOLE YEAR without any Dr. Who???

Yeah, yeah, I could catch up on all the ones I've missed, but....A YEAR??
                        Wait...what?

They're doing that "wait a whole year" (or more) thing AGAIN!?

Is the New Years thing going to be a "marathon"?

Comment

It's a New Year's Day special. An hour, which makes up a teeny tiny bit for making me wait a whole year for Season 12. XD

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a87157...stmas-special/

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            It's a New Year's Day special. An hour, which makes up a teeny tiny bit for making me wait a whole year for Season 12. XD

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a87157...stmas-special/
                            So is the animated one being shown in the States?

I've been looking for info on when it might be shown, but can't find any info on it. Is it an online exclusive or something?

I checked BBC America's site, and they don't say anything about an animated one on Christmas day.

Comment

Here is where you can find the animated thing.

Just scroll down a bit past the trailer for the New Year's special.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                                Here is where you can find the animated thing.

Just scroll down a bit past the trailer for the New Year's special.
                                I thought the animated one was supposed to be 15 minutes long, or something. I've only been able to find the one minute one. Is that the full thing?

Comment

Working...
                                X