This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very short but quite funny

I work in a clothing store within a large garden centre.

We have been trained to ask 'open questions'. A 'closed question' is a question that the customer can say yes or no to. So if a customer is looking at a garment, we should ask, "What size are you looking for?" This prevents the customer from saying yes or no. Then we can keep talking to them, and perhaps help them find their size. Then they're more likely to buy the garment.

So, a few weeks ago, I saw a woman looking at our t-shirts, so I went up to her and asked her an open question.

"Hello, what size are you looking for?"

Her response?

"No."

haha I hate open ended questions. Especially in the service industry. I probably would have answered "Just looking, thanks". I tend to be a little bit anti-social when I'm shopping though

Comment

Quoth April View Post
      haha I hate open ended questions. Especially in the service industry. I probably would have answered "Just looking, thanks". I tend to be a little bit anti-social when I'm shopping though
      I do too, but I have a lot of sympathy for those who have to ask them. Half the time it makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable. I'm always worrying that I'm going to get my head bitten off, and sometimes I dislike talking to anyone when I'm having one of my off days. A few times I've had blokes think I'm flirting with them too, and they flirt back... most of them are old lol.

Comment

We are also supposed to do this, and I hate it. What gets me though, is we are also required to greet each customer. "Hello how are you, etc" One lady that comes in every now and again will snap, before yo ucan even finish that, "I'm just LOOKING" well okey dokey then.

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
          We are also supposed to do this, and I hate it. What gets me though, is we are also required to greet each customer. "Hello how are you, etc" One lady that comes in every now and again will snap, before yo ucan even finish that, "I'm just LOOKING" well okey dokey then.
          We get those too.

"Hel--"

"Just LOOKING!"

"--Lo."

I like my job but do hate being the annoying sales adviser.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
            I do too, but I have a lot of sympathy for those who have to ask them. Half the time it makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable. I'm always worrying that I'm going to get my head bitten off, and sometimes I dislike talking to anyone when I'm having one of my off days. A few times I've had blokes think I'm flirting with them too, and they flirt back... most of them are old lol.
            That's why these policies never made sense to me. Either the questions piss people off, or it opens an invitation to talk....and talk....and talk. I think the people that make these decisions have never worked with the public. A simple "Can I help you with anything?" may piss off a couple of people, but for the most part, it's pretty inoffensive.

Comment

If yes-and-no questions are good enough for the gods, why not people?
              http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/commune.htm
              "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Imagine this at a repair center, where you're suppose to get information from a customer. We were suppose to greet each customer and find out how we could help them.

Some of the common questions we'd ask and their frustratingly common answers. Oh and my thoughts!

"Hi, how may we help you?" "Just looking.." Umm.. right. We're a repair center. The only place you as the customer are allowed is this small square of floor. There is seriously nothing to see.. unless you're here to pick up chicks or guys. If that's the case, you're in the wrong place. Also, if you're casing the place for heist, I recommend getting hired by our cleaning company. They are quite literal in cleaning us out.

"Hi, how may I help you?" "No!" Right then... I have no idea who you're talking to, unless you're from the future and have a blue-tooth earpiece.

"What's wrong with your product?" "I dunno." Really? *sigh* This is going to be a 300 questions game isn't it? I kinda need to know what's wrong to be able to point out blood hound of a tech in the right direction!

"I need either a name or phone number to bring up your account." "No." That wasn't a question. I seriously can't go any further with this without one or the other. I get that most people don't call their home phones very often, but surely you know your own name!

"Hi, how may..." And it's off to the races, with the customer determined to get all their info out without taking a single breath. These kind of entertained me, because I halfway expected them to pass out before finishing. Sadly, none did.

"What is wrong with the product?" And now I get to hear their life story.. and the life stories of their friends, relatives, pets and even the fleas that bit their pets!

My take away from this job was that customers will find a way to waste my time and try to frustrate me. Fortunately the job broke my give-a-damn switch, so their attempts to frustrate me were as pointless as some the stories they'd tell.
                Last edited by raudf; 07-19-2014, 08:03 PM.
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

They tried to do this to us at work-get involved with the customers on the shop floor-ask them questions about the things they are looking at-pop up next to them and ask 'Who are you buying that ornament for?' or 'Would you like jeans to go with that sweater'?
                  Well,if they tried that with me-my first reaction would be 'What's it got to do with you'?
                  We are a small charity shop-if people want something they easily find it.If not they ask.
                  So that got ignored-once they're at the till and buying it,then I will quite happily chat about their purchase-but accosting them on the shop floor will just put them off...
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                  X