Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A blocked, closed, locked door obviously means "enter" right?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A blocked, closed, locked door obviously means "enter" right?

Today, one of my co-workers and I spent the better part of the afternoon washing the exterior doors and windows. They are all glass, and TALL, which required a lot of ladder work.

Normally, we have one dedicated "in" door and one "out", (both are motion sensitive so they open when you approach,) but while upon the ladder, we closed and locked one of the doors and left the other open so people could go in/out.

Now, answer me this - you're walking up to a store and the normal "in" door is blocked with a 12 foot ladder, with a woman up on the ladder washing windows, with a big "PLEASE USE OTHER DOOR" sign on the inside of the glass.

Do you:

1) Read the sign and use the other door
    2) Read the sign but ask if the door is really closed, and when instructed, go to other door
    3) Ignore sign, ignore ladder, try to crawl THROUGH ladder, and start banging on locked door, then act indignant when told its locked, and the reason why.

If you chose "3" then you've obviously worked with the public before. I wonder how they manage to survive sometime.

BONUS: I had stepped down off the ladder to get some fresh paper towels when a woman came up to the ladder and door, noticed the door wouldn't open, then tried to move my ladder. When I instructed her to use the other door (about 50 feet further down the walkway) she got upset and said "But the item I want to buy is right THERE! - she pointed to a display of product just inside the door - "you should open the door for me - I'm old and I shouldn't have to walk to the other door!" - never mind that even if she DID get through the door, she'd still have to walk to the other side, as that's where the registers and exit are!

On a cute note, I had a lot of regulars ask me if I'd come do their windows - one lady even said she'd bake me cookies!
    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

None of the above.

Like most (or all) people who post here, I would see the ladder and just go to another door anyway.

Comment

I would have said, "Since you've just displayed your ability to walk from you car to this door, you can most certainly walk to the other door and grab what you want..."

Comment

Quoth dbuzman View Post
        None of the above.

Like most (or all) people who post here, I would see the ladder and just go to another door anyway.
        I'd probably be in a daze, not notice the ladder or the sign until I got close, startle awake from the daze, see the ladder, read the sign ... and go to the other door.

But that's just me.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

It's also shorter to cut across the Grand Canyon than
          to go around it. :-)
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Just as Thelma. Or Louise.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

One of my favorite local eateries - for whatever reason - has had a broken front door for over a year. One door works, the other doesn't, and the broken door is kept locked and has a sign indicating to please use the other door.

One of my favorite hobbies is sitting at the counter watching people try to come in through the broken door. At least once or twice every time I eat there someone tries the locked, broken door, peers through the window, tries it again, and finally realizes there's a big, bright sign pointing to the other door.

I kinda hope they never fix the broken door... I'd hate to lose my entertainment. The food is cheap but the floor show is free.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                It's also shorter to cut across the Grand Canyon than
                to go around it. :-)
                Quoth Seshat View Post
                Just as Thelma. Or Louise.
                Wouldn't it have been easier to strap on a rocket booster before sending the car across the Grand Canyon?

Somehow I'm picturing Wile E. Cyote trying that one.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                  I kinda hope they never fix the broken door... I'd hate to lose my entertainment. The food is cheap but the floor show is free.
                  There's a diner I go to for lunch at least once a week. They have a sign on one of the doors that says "Please Use Other Door."

Even though I go there once a week at least, sometimes, for reasons unbeknownst to me, I reach out and grab that other door. I can be looking right at the sign and still do it. Why? WHY DO I DO THAT?!

Fortunately no one inside actually sees me do it.
                  Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Well, people are stupid.

I do have to say I really find it annoying when a store has a double door and one side of it is locked (at random times) and there's no sign indicating this. You never know which side is open. Arrgh, stop doing that!!
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Well, people are stupid.

I do have to say I really find it annoying when a store has a double door and one side of it is locked (at random times) and there's no sign indicating this. You never know which side is open. Arrgh, stop doing that!!
                      Thats frustrates me to. Its laziness IMO and in case of emergency a bad idea.

Comment

Happened when we were setting up the shop I work at. A woman and her friend wanted to use the exit that was blocked off because we were setting up in front of it. There were ladders, piles and piles of curtains, stacks of boxes, basically the place was a complete mess. But her car was right outside the door in the car park and it was apparently bad service to not let her and her friend crawl under ladders and over boxes and the like to get to her car. Yet if she'd injured herself doing it, then of course she'd blame us for letting her do that and would probably have tried to sue us for breaking health and safety

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                          Happened when we were setting up the shop I work at. A woman and her friend wanted to use the exit that was blocked off because we were setting up in front of it. There were ladders, piles and piles of curtains, stacks of boxes, basically the place was a complete mess. But her car was right outside the door in the car park and it was apparently bad service to not let her and her friend crawl under ladders and over boxes and the like to get to her car. Yet if she'd injured herself doing it, then of course she'd blame us for letting her do that and would probably have tried to sue us for breaking health and safety
                          What's really stupid is that she'd probably argue that she didn't want to "walk that far" if told to use another exit. Yet, crawling under, over and through a bunch of potentially dangerous items is no problem??
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            What's really stupid is that she'd probably argue that she didn't want to "walk that far" if told to use another exit. Yet, crawling under, over and through a bunch of potentially dangerous items is no problem??
                            You assume she would stoop so low to crawl under/over stuff? No, the true SC would not only insist on opening that door, but also moving all the blockading stuff out of the way, having the floor mopped, hand dried, swept, and a red carpet rolled out to the gem encrusted shopping cart just for her, along with a personal register for her to checkout and exit through the same door.

Comment

Working...
                            X