Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 of our delivery drivers likes to stiff his fellow drivers!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 of our delivery drivers likes to stiff his fellow drivers!!!

I am posting this story in the "Sucky Customers" section, because even though it deals with a fellow coworker, he was still a sucky customer, and he technically was the customer in this story. We shall call him "M".
    M works with me at our store, pretty cool guy, never had a problem with me or anyone else. Like other drivers, he's complained about bad tips or getting stiffed altogether. We all have to deal with it, unfortunately its just part of the business. However, how many of you would expect it from another person who deliveries food for a living too, especially when you work in the same store
    Basically M has pulled off this ridiculous shit 3 or 4 times, ordering delivery from either our store or 1 of our other locations in his area (he was at a friend's house once when he did this). When 1 of our drivers came back from a delivery one day and seemed more pissed off than usual, he told me that M had stiffed him. We soon found out that this was not the first time he had done this.
    BTW before this gets into a wild debate about how tipping is optional, I just wanna say that doing it do your fellow drivers is just evil, and if you're going to do that, then don't complain to us when you get stiffed too. Matter of fact, don't even order from us at all, cuz many of the drivers wanted to tell him off for pulling shit like this, only they didn't because they didn't want to get in trouble and so opted to keep the peace. Point is, if you work for tips for a living, you dam well better tip. The only exception is if you go out to eat and the service is just awful.
    Now some of you might say "No big deal, people don't have to tip, even if he is a driver". Well, I can tell you right now, the managers had gotten so many complaints about this guy, and they felt just as strongly about the situation, as he felt it was very wrong to screw over your fellow drivers. What happens next might seem a bit extreme, but me and the other drivers support the managers 100% all the way with their decision.
    Turns out he was just as upset as we were, and he couldn't fathom just how stupid someone could be so cheap, when that person relies on tips for 3/4 of their income like we do. So he firmly told him that if it happened again, the driver would be fired on the spot. I this manager. This may seem pretty extreme, but to me and the other drivers, when another driver does that to you, it almost feels like they're stealing from you. Getting stiffed by a customer is 1 thing, but getting stiffed by a fellow driver for no reason at all?
    Last edited by BowserKoopa1; 07-21-2014, 07:00 PM.

They'd be better off refusing to deliver to him rather than firing. Tipping as a customer isn't a job requirement so it could end badly if he is fired for that. Agreed, though, it's awful behavior.

Comment

Regardless of the tipping debate, these are the facts:

1) M relies on tips for his living.
      2) Fellow drivers also rely on tips for their living.
      3) M commiserates with fellow drivers re: lousy tippers/being stiffed.
      4) M orders from work, gets delivery from fellow drivers.
      5) M then stiffs fellow drivers.

Any way you slice it, that's a Dick Move.

That's how I see it.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Jay 2K Winger summed it up perfectly. The guy is an ass.

Does he really do this and then come in the next day acting like everything is normal? He's got more problems than you know.

Comment

Instead of M, I suggest HM, as in "Hypocrisy Much?"
          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I delivered pizzas for a few years, about 10 - 15 years ago. I still overtip to this day. A delivery driver should know better. And if you can't afford a decent tip, then don't eat out. Buy some bread and peanut butter and make a sandwich.

Comment

Next time he complains remind him that he has no room to talk.
              I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Wow, that's just awful! Why complain about getting stiffed and then do exactly what he hates so much to you guys?

Comment

I have delivered to former drivers from my store and they too pulled the "SORRY we had just enough money for the order, SORRY we could NOT tip you."

YEAH fuck you, you hypocrite.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

M is an ass, however, unless you live in an At Will state, firing him over not tipping can open the company up to lawsuits.

Comment

A pizza driver (i.e. someone who knows how drivers depend on tips) stiffs his co-workers when he orders? Rather than firing him (which can open a can of worms), why not put him on "pickup-only" status?
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                        Wow, that's just awful! Why complain about getting stiffed and then do exactly what he hates so much to you guys?
                        Perhaps he thinks "I'm the customer now, so I don't have to tip if I don't want to."

Firing him probably isn't a good move; tipping for food delivered to him isn't part of his stated job duties and thus probably not something management can go through a disciplinary process about. But I do like the idea of putting him on pickup only.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

He's being a bit dickish, but I don't think he's doing anything wrong or worthy of workplace discipline. Tipping is at a customer's discretion, and I say that as someone who has worked in a tipping business in the past. If it were mandatory it would be built into the price on the receipt, and I have a major problem with disciplining an employee for something they did off the clock, in their own time - if you want to control your employee's behavior 24 hours a day, you need to pay then 24 hours a day (or put them on a salary where they don't have to depend on the charity of their customers).

Comment

I think we all live in at will states except Montana. He can be fired for this if the manager wants to. Non-tippers are not a protected class. But it may not be worth the effort to hire and train someone else if his work is decent. I like the idea of telling him pick up only. There are others told pick up only for various reasons. He'll have to pick up if everyone refuses to deliver to him. A little public shaming can go a long way.

Comment

Keep in mind that there have been several posts in this forum about store clerks that act like SCs when shopping in their own stores. Just like every other group on this planet (and probably some others), store clerks and delivery drivers have their share of SCs.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X