This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next week I have 10.5 hours and my coworker has 7

and this morning I saw 4 new hires, one of whom has my first name and the same last initial. I feel like I'm literally being replaced.
    Now, I know full-well management appreciates me; they tend to call me first if there's a shift available and give me more hours when I whine. And I also know these extreme cuts are sporadic (once or twice a year) and rotated through the staff. On top of it, I realize we just lost a whole bunch of people who quit. I really don't believe they are trying to get rid of me. But why can't they give me the salesfloor hours? (Most of the quitters work salesfloor.)
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

This place wouldn't be the big red bulls-eye, would it?

Comment

I've been noticing more new faces at my job too. On one hand, if we get enough normal cashiers I can spend more time on self-scan and/or the 9,452 projects Bossman expects me to finish...on the other hand, it's a finite number of hours spread over more people (half of whom need the max allowed).
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        I've been noticing more new faces at my job too. On one hand, if we get enough normal cashiers I can spend more time on self-scan and/or the 9,452 projects Bossman expects me to finish...on the other hand, it's a finite number of hours spread over more people (half of whom need the max allowed).
        Same thing here. The combination of a remodel finishing up as well as the impending beginning of the school year is most likely the cause in my store. It also doesn't help that the manager who hires in my store seems to have a bad eye for good people.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
          This place wouldn't be the big red bulls-eye, would it?
          I'll bet any amount of money it is the red circles of hell, or in your word, bulls eye. I worked there from 2010-2011 and they did the exact same shit.
          If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

It's what I like most about my position. There are five people in my position and the other four are all in school for one thing or another. Add that to being a high volume store where people are always posting unwanted shifts up on the board and I have a big kettle of hours to dip my ladle into.

Not that are aren't other issues...

Comment

Somehow my 10.5 hours turned into 39, but I had to call out one day to go to the doctor and get mega anti-inflammatory pills (was in so much pain I could barely walk). And this week I have 38 and next close to 40 again. I think my complaint still stands, though. The reason I have the hours is that I pay attention to shifts needing to be covered, and those shifts are an answer to prayer. But I can't allow the blessing to make me complacent. If I don't look for something else, I'll get locked into crazy hours all winter and be left out in the cold after Christmas.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
              X