X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I've noticed, but don't understand

People frequently come into the c-store where I work, and do the following:

They go through whatever motions they intend to do, then approach the counter to check out. Their purchase comes to $x.xx amount. They have plenty of money in hand to pay for it, but either have no change or inexact change to pay for it. No matter what they insist they want to go to their vehicle to get the correct change. To my way of thinking, it's just preferable to pay with what I have, take the change, and be on my way. Yet, these people decide they'd rather go out to their cars to get even just a penny to make exact change. There are variations on this theme. The bottom line is that they have the money in hand to pay for their purchase. The problem is that it would make inexact change, and they act like it would be a travesty just to take the change and move on with life.

It just drives me nuts. I guess because I just take my change, throw it in my change jar in the car or my piggy bank at home, then cash it in later at work when I'm counting my drawer or at the bank.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

yes, but please, do I really have to say it... when it comes to SCs, if it makes sense it isn't allowed...

and I'll admit that there are times that I want to do exact change... but that's when I make sure to bring enough change with me into the store to be able to do that... I would never take the extra time to run out to my car to do that... because if nothing else, if I'm not at work (and even sometimes then ) I'm lazy and that is just way to much effort.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

It's because Pennies eat the rest of your change and turn into more pennies.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Yeah, pennies breed and feast upon other coins.
        "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Hang on ... money comes from money if left all by itself ... and this is a BAD thing?!

Can I have a couple of pennies and a small jar?

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
            yes, but please, do I really have to say it... when it comes to SCs, if it makes sense it isn't allowed...
            *hanging head and sighing* I know, I know, I know..... they do an excellent job of making no sense......... *sigh*

Maybe it's just me, but I've never really been one to mess with paying in exact change. Lately, I've started accumulating so much loose change that I've started taking it to work with me to cash in while there, but otherwise I just let it amount to enough to roll and take to the bank to cash in. I have the same amount of money either way, but it tricks me into spending less money for some reason. I guess my thinking is that if I have less cash on hand, I end up spending less because I leave the change in the jar until I'm out of cash. Then, I have to decide if I really need to spend more money, or just deposit it toward savings, before I cash in the change at the bank.
            The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

The only times I'll use exact change is if:

I know the cashier well and there is no line behind me

The coins are in ridiculously easy reach and I won't have to ferret around for it for five minutes.

Or if I'm at a self-check, in which case, I really don't care how long I dawdle
              The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Back when I was making real money (i.e. get a car repair bill for $1500 and say 'that's all? Here, wait....' and have to decide whether to pay in cash or credit) -- I'd only spend $20s. I'd take out $200 from each paycheck and that was all I could spend in a week. If I bought gum, the $19 couldn't be spent as it wasn't a $20. (granted, most purchases were $8-16).

At the end of a year, I deposited close to $5,000 in cash that was "unspendable" as it wasn't a $20.

Comment

Working...
                X