This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! That's what Speedy Gonzales sounds like on Meth

I had a call come in that was missing some pertinent pieces of information...such as an address. In order to send a service truck out, this is kind of important, what we had was not valid.

I called our member and she was unsure of the address so she told me to hold on and she'd put an associate from Walgreens on the phone.

Okay. No problem.

I can only describe this associate as sounding like Speedy Gonzales on Meth. She jumps on the phone and I begin to ask her a question and was immediately cut off by this woman who had a thick spanish accent talking 500 mph. I could not make out a damn thing she was saying and she was throwing all sorts of numbers out at me.

I jumped in with "Whoa, whoa, whoa...ma'am? MA'AM!!!" she finally stopped. I explained that she was talking WAY too fast for me to understand her and that she needed to answer MY questions so that I can get the information that is needed rather than all the extra she was spitting at me. She slowed down and gave me the actual address - we were missing one number. I told her this and she was like, "oh."

Yeah, slow down, listen, save your breath, save me getting a bottle of aspirin.

Right after this, I get pulled away from the desk for a little staff meeting and get told that we HAVE to change the way our screens are set up from our own set up that each of us has discovered works best for the individual to a unifor set up that everyone has ........NOT HAPPY!

"I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
    Right after this, I get pulled away from the desk for a little staff meeting and get told that we HAVE to change the way our screens are set up from our own set up that each of us has discovered works best for the individual to a uniform set up that everyone has ........NOT HAPPY!

And the new screen setup was undoubtedly designed by someone who does not, and never will, use the system.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
      And the new screen setup was undoubtedly designed by someone who does not, and never will, use the system.
      or more likely, will be designed by someone who will ever work at the company (that's what our near future set up is... and it sucks)
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Sounds like the dreaded "E" word- Erganomics. (SP?). A computer desk designed by someone who doesn't sit at your desk, nor know what is comfortable for you.

I told the guy at my old job who was working on my erganomics that if he was able to drive my car with out moving my seat or mirrors AND be comfortable, then I'd listen to him drone on about how all our computers should be set up alike.

His reply, "We don't drive with our computers in front of us." My reply, "True, and we don't spend 40 hours a week driving our cars."
        Last edited by Gothicsmurf; 06-25-2008, 01:33 AM.
        You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

Comment

The "E" word More vile to me than any curse word in the english language. I constantly have to re-adjust things by micro-millimeters because their ergonomic assessment says that something has to be precisely positioned.

I understand that it's good to have a uniform system, that way anybody could use any one, but it sounds like these are personal use things. Why not let you have it your way?

And on topic, I can't stand those people who speak 1000 words and say absolutely nothing. It's really becoming a problem for me because I just tune them out, letting it go in one ear and straight out the other; then I realize that there was a tiny droplet that I actually need in that ocean of blah that they were spewing out.
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
          Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

I just let the rabid-talkers spittle along (usually takes about 60 seconds), before they notice I'm not responding... Only THEN do I tell them I couldn't understand a word they said and they have to slow down.

Takes the wind right outa their sails!

As for the Ergonomic screen layouts... Fortunately I'm very adaptable to software changes. Not so however with Ergonomic Furniture. Had a boss insist I use this kneeling chair 'to straighten my posture'. (Nothing was wrong with my back, bloody dolt!) Next day I could barely walk, my back was still fine, my knees on the other hand...

That 'chair' ended up in the closet.
            *There is no greater gift than to be reborn with every heartbeat*
            *Grudges should only be held for as long as it takes to deliver a proper vengence!*

Comment

My company shipped out 4 new chairs to each store to replace the most used chairs. They never told the managers if we needed to actually use or keep them. We still have one just to experience how uncomfortable they are. The other ones were positioned along a wall in the back room(their was a floor drain along the wall, this meas the floor sloped to said drain). We took a pallet jack and picked op a full pallet of bottled water and sent it on its way. Just before the wall we let go of the jack.

Comment

That's the way it always is. Before J finally quit last year, he was constantly telling me that I needed to redesign the database to suit his needs. Never mind that the boss wanted it left alone--it worked for him, so why change it? J simply wanted things to change a bit...because he was too lazy to click through the various tabs. He wanted the main screen to have *all* the info, and to get rid of the summary.

I don't know about you all, but after working with (and helping to design) that database...I really didn't want to redo the thing. Basically, it works like this--the main page is a summary page. There's basic information up there--things like the company name, location, etc. All of the more-detailed crap (customer data, including sales) is on different tabs. Now, I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I could have dealt with the incurring "information overload" with everything on one page; nor did I want to spend 6 months redoing and checking things.

Needless to say, J got pissed when we refused to change things. Why should we, since it works fine for us? I still find it amusing that J now has his own company...and uses a database that's similar to ours...right down to the colors on the main pages. Go figure
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Speedy Gonzalez on meth? Ye gads.

The infamous DipShit the Impossible sounded like Mickey Mouse on crack.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I'm one of those fast talkers. Maybe not Speedy Gonzales on meth fast, but people are always asking me to slow down.
                    But then again I'm the sort of person who when they do something it does as quickly and as efficiently as humanly possible; that goes for speaking as well.
                    A supervisor once joked that when we need tasks done around the store they should just pump me full of coffee and let me have at it.
                    It's sad that my claim to fame at work is being able to sort five carts of back-to-stock and clear out the whole back-to-stock room in like 15 minutes.

Comment

The thing that pisses me off the most is that the people who utilize the system the most were not consulted at all whatsoever about the set up. My supervisor was one of the people setting it up - she's way cool -she's not happy with the set up because she had her own way of doing stuff as well....we all do.
                      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Leopardmadcat View Post

That 'chair' ended up in the closet.
                        WTH!?!?! That chair would've ended up in a bomb fire.

Comment

Right after this, I get pulled away from the desk for a little staff meeting and get told that we HAVE to change the way our screens are set up from our own set up that each of us has discovered works best for the individual to a unifor set up that everyone has ........NOT HAPPY!

This used to drive me NUTS.

I had an employer who insisted my desktop look EXACLY like his, which was in no way organized, but rather had two screens, with Invoices all the way to the right, a quarter of the way down, "My Computer" somewhere on the bottom, Outgoing Orders in the center of the screen - you get the picture. No lines - just willy-nilly.

What pissed me off even more is that he would VTC to my computer (if you don't know what that is, it's where someone can access your computer from a remote location...such as HIS computer...and basically either watch what's happening, or make use of it, thus rendering the local mouse and keyboard COMPLETELY useless) while I was trying to work.

I wasn't there long. I quit after he went ballistic when I took a toilet break and tried to tell me that, if I was going to use the restroom, I had to take along my cellphone in case he needed me.
                          "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

WTH!?!?! That chair would've ended up in a bomb fire.
                            Some of them aren't that bad, actually. It depends on what's wrong with your back, if there is anything wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                            X