This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asbestos?! What the hell!!!

Today my co-worker informed me that the company who owns the building that we rent office space in is going to redo the entire roof of our building next week. My co-worker also informed me that I should keep my window closed as there is most likely asbestos plating up there (the roof is that old), and since the roof ends just above my window there is a short trip into my office for any asbestos.

This is where it gets fun.

The building is old (around WWII). Because of that we do not have any ventilation. The only way to keep the office cool during the summer is by having the window open, which I can’t do next week.
    It gets so warm in my office that my brain starts to shut down, I can’t concentrate and I start to doze of. It is going to be interesting to see how much work I can get done next week. And with several deadlines coming up in the next few weeks I really don’t need this
    “I don’t have pet peeves, I have major, psychotic hatreds.” -George Carlin

Will they allow you to bring in a fan. It really does help (my home has no ac, I work in my bedroom which gets extremely hot 80+ right now and the fan is the only thing that keeps me going.)

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
      Will they allow you to bring in a fan. It really does help (my home has no ac, I work in my bedroom which gets extremely hot 80+ right now and the fan is the only thing that keeps me going.)
      If the asbestos starts breaking down, the fan could make it worse. Even the slightest air current is enough to 'redistribute' the fibers. Not exactly something you want to breathe in! I know this, because my high school was being renovated...and they spent a crapload of cash on asbestos removal. Even though they tried to be careful, I'm sure quite a few of us inhaled that shit
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
        I know this, because my high school was being renovated...and they spent a crapload of cash on asbestos removal. Even though they tried to be careful, I'm sure quite a few of us inhaled that shit
        They did the same thing at my old high school as well. And they'd only let the workers in for I think half an hour at a time and then they'd have to step out for a little, for their own safety. But they didn't have the students or teachers do that. Guess the powers that be didn't care about them.

One of the teachers got a statement from her doctor saying that she had been exposed to asbestos at the school, just in case she started developing problems in the future, and needed to sue the school.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

the building where i work is old... not quite sure how old 1940s maybe? anywho. we have a large basement and one section of it had to be cleaned out due to asbestos. that was fun knowing that spending any amount of time down there, i couldve be breathing it in. who knows what else there is. the paint is really old, and flaking, and the ceiling is gross lol

Comment

There's asbestos fibre in the siding of our house. It's going to be fun getting THAT replaced - especially since we'll be moving out for the however-long it takes to get the stuff off.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              If the asbestos starts breaking down, the fan could make it worse. Even the slightest air current is enough to 'redistribute' the fibers.
              If the asbestos is breaking down, get the fuck out, fan or no fan.

Comment

It is now the end of Tuesday and they have not yet started on the roof. Most likely because my boss called the building management and gave them a piece of his mind (politely of course). He was not happy that we got less than a week notice.

In Norway you can’t even think about removing asbestos without complying with a metric fucktonne of regulations and sending in a shitload of applications for various permits.

What they will most likely do is to carefully remove any asbestos plates and wrap them in airtight plastic while they are still on the roof. Then they will carefully transport them to a proper facility that can handle asbestos.

Asbestos is rather safe as long as you don’t break it up. It is the dust that is dangerous since you breathe it into your lungs.

I don’t think I will come into work if there is any chance of asbestos getting into my office. I don’t think anybody will come into work if there is a chance of breathing asbestos.

I just hope they will wait until our vacation (less than 3 weeks left ). The building will be empty then.
                “I don’t have pet peeves, I have major, psychotic hatreds.” -George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                X