Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has a customer ever tried to haggle with you in a haggleless environment?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This issue sometimes that a haggleless environment isn't always haggleless I remember once I was shopping for a TV and I liked this particular TV and the kid kept trying to push the floor model. Yes it was cheaper, but it's the floor model it had a couple of dings, etc. Needless to say he threw in the warranty to get me to buy it. I wasn't expecting it, or said anything about "what else can you toss in" he just gave it. So I can see where people would try because hell if you get it once if you ask maybe you'll get it again. As a side note I'm glad he threw in the warranty cause the TV lasted 6 months.

Honestly though I don't think there's such thing as a haggleless environment. There's haggleless transactions, and small step haggling. Like in my business I think it would be stupid for a customer to try to haggle on a bottle of wine. But we do get customer that come in wanting cases. And I mean there's going to be a price difference for a person that wants one case of wine and a person that wants 15 cases of wine. And there's a price for if they pay with credit or they pay with cash. But there's limited steps in that haggling.

On another note I got a regular that comes in our joke is about haggling. He'll buy his stuff and say it comes to $15 he'll say how about $10 and I'll go how about $16 and I call this increase wasting my time fees
    "It takes people like you, to make people like me" Another Night In London - Devildriver

Comment

Anyone who has seen the prices for game consoles knows the store gets jack-**** when selling them (A markup of maybe 4 cents) and the biggest profit comes from the accessories.

Idiot: (after I return with a 360) So you're gonna give me a free controller with this, right?
      Me: (already in a sour mood) No. You pay for any extra controllers
      Idiot: Come on! you can make a deal for me! I promise you won't get in trouble.
      Me: I don't trust anyone on that claim.
      I2: You can throw in a free controller, I bet you make more than 50 bucks off the console.
      Me: I don't make 5 cents off the console.
      Idiot: You see, now I think you're lying.
      Me: Look, here's how it goes. I'm making zero off of this sale as is, and I do not appreciate being called a liar. So, you either pay full price for the stuff, or I'll put it away.
      I2: Well I bet <other place that's more expensive> will give us a deal. Maybe we should go there.
      Me: That is your choice.
      Idiot: <to I2> Come on, they obviously don't want our business. We'll go to <other place>.
      Me: Good luck with that.

No I didn't get in trouble for that as I was professional and was under strict orders to let someone walk than to give a deal on a console sale without some serious money coming in. (IE: buying a full HT assembly and a full set of stuff for the 360, then I can make a deal) On the way back, the manager told me that he was surprised I lasted as long as I did, as he would have told those two to take a hike long before that point.

And that other place? Located in West Edmonton Mall, and they have a bad habit of doubling or tripling the cost of items, so while they maybe have made a deal, it still would have been more expensive than buying from me.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        they have a bad habit of doubling or tripling the cost of items, so while they maybe have made a deal, it still would have been more expensive than buying from me.
        "Well, yes, but at least I got a DEAL!"

I truly believe that if some businesses (game stores, electronic stores, etc.) doubled their prices and then let people "haggle" a discount of, say, twenty-five percent, the average schmo would then walk away happy, because he had "won."
        I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Yep - In my pharmacy for cold and flu tablets

me - "that will be $15.95"
          cs - "but i only have $11"
          me - "we have eftpos facilities if you need it"
          cs - "but i will be charged a fee for it. Can't you do it at $11"
          me - "no sorry it's $15.95"
          cs - "but i don't want to get money out!"
          me - "sorry the price is still $15.95."

Slightly OT but one day we had a customer wanting her script, came to about $6.00, she had the nerve to ask if she could take it today and pay tomorrow cause she only had a $100 dollar note and didn't want to break it!!! Seriously what did she think we were going to say??

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
            And that other place? Located in West Edmonton Mall, and they have a bad habit of doubling or tripling the cost of items...
            Yeah, good idea. Go to a TOURIST TRAP to buy your stuff, because we know they neeeeever mark up their prices!
            What a tool.

Comment

All the time. One guy tried it with my brother in law. "I buy two, you give discount!!" So my brother in law said ok, and quoted him a total for two..... at more than regular cost. At first the guy was smug at getting his way until he did the math. He rushed back in and said, "No, no, charge separate!!".

We only haggle one way and it's not down.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
              ~Clerks

Comment

The only time I had that happen was my classic tale where a customer wanted to get a discount on a door simply because he "didn't feel like paying that much." It's in a strip on here somewhere.

Natrually, the manager laughed him right out of the store.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Nearly a haggling story...

During my security days I was bodily dragging a shoplifter back in to the store when he issues this gem

"I'll give you £80 if you let me go"
                  My response? Laughter. (to which he upped the money...)
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

One time I had a guy come up to me with a hammer that was three bucks or so on clearance, and asked me "What's the lowest amount you'll take for this?"

Me: Three bucks.

Customer: You can't lower the price any more?

Me: No.

And he put the hammer down and walked away.

Then there was a guy who wanted me to give him a discount on various Green Bay Packers chotchkies, because "you make such a profit on it anyway." I didn't give him his discount. Neither did the store manager, who the guy approached later for a second opinion.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I have no idea why some people equate a computer purchase to a car. You can't haggle computer prices, period
                      Last edited by MadMike; 06-23-2008, 05:37 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

Ages ago when I was working in a department store we were having a sale on seconds and factory excess towels.
                        A lady comes up to me with a 50 cent hand towel.
                        Lady: I'll give you 25 cents
                        Me: It's 50 cents
                        Lady: How about 30 then?
                        Me: No
                        Lady: Come on... it's so little! 30 cents!
                        Lady: 35?
                        Lady: 40?
                        Me: Sure if you bribe me with 10 cents...

She finally paid the whole 50 cents!!

Comment

Quoth daisychain View Post
                          She finally paid the whole 50 cents!!
                          Cheap bastard

I still don't get why people who, seeing that the item has already been marked down a bit, still want to haggle over a few pennies. I'm all for saving money, but pennies? Open yer wallet ya cheapskate!

I've seen people reject items at the hobby shop, simply because they "aren't cheap enough." Usually, they're whining about how 'expensive' Tamiya and Aoshima kits are. (Usually they go for $25 and up...) So when I see those kits marked down, I tend to keep an eye on them. Not long ago, I scored a nice Aoshima Lancia Delta (not rally car, unfortunately), after someone complained it was "too expensive." I don't know about you all, but to me, a $35 Aoshima kit, especially one that's a pain to find at less than $15 is a freaking steal. Of course I pounced on it--Didn't really need it, but the look on that customer's face was great
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

People try to haggle because of all the "news articles" from places like that say you can at places like Best Buy and Walmart. These are the same SCs who troll sites like "that which must not be mentioned for fear of having posts deleted".

Comment

To the OP, yes. D: GameStop is def. a haggleless environment. I had one lady trying to explain to me that she deserved an exchange on an item way past its return policy simply because she shops there all the time! Thing was, it was a controller for a PS2 and I could tell that the reason it wasn't working was because her 3, 4, &5 year olds had thrown it around too much.

I'm sorry, lady. We can't give you a return, without a receipt, three months later and simply because your kids threw the controller at the wall too hard.
                              This message brought to you by a hopeless pop-culture-obsessed social reject.

Comment

One of the girls I work with got this gem. (We work customer service for the Postal Service.)

"Do you have any cheaper 42 cent stamps?"

We also get people who bitch about shipping for their stamps. They'll spend 500 dollars on stamps, and then bitch about the one dollar shipping charge.

Comment

Working...
                                X