This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because the picture on the box isn't good enough

So J and I are walking through our departments one fine day, and we see a customer opening a power washer box and looking in. The damage is already done, so we just wave it off and keep walking.

A minute later said SC comes up to us and asks if we have any more of that power washer in stock, because the box is opened and kinda torn.

J replies, "Why sir, I do believe that we just saw you opening that box just now."
    SC stutters out a "Well... uhh... it was, already open, and I just looked in it."
    "Well I'm sorry sir, but we don't have any more of those in stock."

Of course, we had a metric fuckton in the back, but you know.
    Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Im sure this was one of my first posts so i'll make it a short version.

Lady asks for a demo of a camera, i have 2 left, so i open one for a demo. Yadda yadda yadda, she realizes its not on sale, still wants said camera so she asks for the camera WE OPENED and asked for a discount on it.

Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

Why that sneaky, conniving, cheap-a... uh. Ahem. That man is not a good customer.

Quoth Department stores *sigh* View Post
      Lady asks for a demo of a camera, i have 2 left, so i open one for a demo. Yadda yadda yadda, she realizes its not on sale, still wants said camera so she asks for the camera WE OPENED and asked for a discount on it.
      The HawaiianShirts solution to that problem!

Customer: Do you have this sale laptop?
      Me: Yes. We have it in stock, but we don't have it on display.
      Customer: Why not?
      Me: Because that only came in for this sale, and once we sell out, we'll never get that particular model again. It looks very similar to this notebook, though. The design is the same, but the screen is one inch smaller.
      Customer: Can you open a box so I can see it?
      Me: Sure. (Gets out box, prepares to cut the sealing tape and open it.) You have to promise me one thing first, though.
      Customer: What's that?
      Me: IF you decide to buy this computer, you have to take the one I open for you to look at.

I've had that conversation several times. It has worked every time.

Of course, it only works if you get to the customer before they pick up the box. Unlike the guy in the OP. That stingy, dishonest, disrespectful little s... uh. Ahem. He and others like him aggravate me.
      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
      - IPF

Comment

And this is why I'm glad that all our games and stock are kept behind the counter and customers have to make due with display copies. :\ Though, since we have to open at least one to have on display, it presents completely different problems... which reminds me of a post I've been meaning to make...
        This message brought to you by a hopeless pop-culture-obsessed social reject.

Comment

Quoth kiokushitaka View Post
          And this is why I'm glad that all our games and stock are kept behind the counter and customers have to make due with display copies. :\ Though, since we have to open at least one to have on display, it presents completely different problems... which reminds me of a post I've been meaning to make...
          I will admit I have opened boxes before. I will not open a box that is taped or sealed shut. If I do open a unsealed box it will be very carefully and only if it cna be done without damage.

If it is a item in a box and I feel the need to hold said item, and i have looked at all the other items and am sure i want said item, assuming it feels right when holding it, i will find an employee and ask them for help.

Comment

...I open boxes in stores... but I always buy the product I open.
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Ditto. And I don't open if there's an open one nearby, or display version.

Honestly, why would anybody in their right mind NOT want the one you just opened? You just affirmed it had all the parts and will meet your needs. What if the one in the unopened box doesn't?

Comment

I had one customer open a twist-top bottle of wine, take a sniff, and then put it back on the shelf.

And then looked confused when I scolded him and made him buy it. He didn't understand what he had done wrong.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I spent 5 years in retail after college. I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore.

I had one lady ask me to open a box containing a lamp. She wanted to make sure all the parts were there. I had no problem with this. I certainly prefered that they ask me for help so I can clean it up afterwards. After we spread out all the pieces and determined that everything was there, and as I started to put them back in the box, she grabbed another unopened box off the shelf and walked away.

I could only laugh and hope real hard that that box was missing something.

Comment

Quoth mae View Post
                    What did the SC say after J told him you were all out?
                    He left. Probably to go find someone else to ask.

J was complaining afterwards about people like him. "What are you going to do with the box two minutes after you get it home? Chuck it in the garbage. Who cares what it looks like?" Everyone, apparently.
                    Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Oh man, my mom is one of those people. I remember this past Christmas during the rush she and I were out looking for one of those steering wheel and pedal controllers for my brother's PS2 and she wanted to get just the right one.
                      So we're in an EB Games and she opens one of the boxes to make sure it had exactly what my brother said it should have (he gives great detail with things like that so my mom knows exactly what to buy) and then she just leaves it there!

I spent the next several minutes painstakingly trying to reassemble the contents of the box so they fit neatly, which as we all know come sometimes be near impossible.

Comment

The only time I open things up...is if the box is already damaged and it's been marked down.

The other, is if I'm looking at those wonderful model railroad cars from Athearn. These come in blue cardboard boxes, and usually aren't sealed. Since Athearn is notorious for painting models in 'fantasy' schemes (that is, the car or locomotive is too new to be wearing the paint scheme), or for railroads that never had that particular car or locomotive. These include those goofy light green Pennsylvania RR F units (PRR Fs were dark green, pretty close to black), or the "bankruptcy blue" Rock Island E units.

Since most of us are hobbyists, nobody says anything. They'd rather people look to make sure what they're buying. There's nothing more annoying that finding that the kit you just bought doesn't fit in with the era you're modeling, or that the paint scheme on it is fictitious!
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                          ...I open boxes in stores... but I always buy the product I open.
                          My wife does the same thing and also buys the product she's opened (because she knows THAT one's in good condition, as she's already seen the actual product).

Comment

Just the other day at Target I opened a box. It was a set of wine glasses, it wasn't taped, and I wanted to make sure the set I was buying wasn't broken. having checked, I placed that box in my cart.

Of course, this happens with more than just boxed merchandise. I work in clothing. One of my favorites is "do you have another of (item), this one is stained." I take item, and discover deodorant stains that weren't there when I handed them the item in the first place. Luckily I have a couple tricks to get that off, and the customer is rarely any wiser.

Comment

Cloth brush ?
                              "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Working...
                              X