Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of you who have a problem with the 'gutted display case for a new game' trend, might I make a suggestion?
    GameStop now allows full returns on used games, within the span of 7 days after buying the game. I think it's 7 days...
    My suggestion? Buy the used game, play it a few days, if you like it, return the used copy and put the money they give you back toward a brand new copy. If it's gutted, then you know you like the game. If it turns out to be defective in some way, they'll probably replace it, and if you happened to get the floor copy, more than likely by the time you return with your defective copy, they'll have new, unopened copies in the store.
    Another thing, while GameStop does allow employees to borrow games to try them out, so they'll be more knowledgeable about their product, they're really only supposed to do so with used product, nothing brand new. I'd imagine there are stores that'll ignore that rule, however...
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Our return policy and, to the best of my knowledge after two and a half years of doing it, why:

Used games: In the first 7 days, you can return the game for ANY reason, no questions asked. 30 days, we'll switch the game out for a copy of the SAME game if defective, or give store credit (at least, that's how my store works.) The why of this is obvious. By accepting a used game in trade, we've essentially made our money by not having to pay a manufacturor for new product. Gamestop loses nothing on a fully returned used game.

New games: 30 days (since last week, it used to be 7, but they extended it), if the product is defective we will switch it our for the SAME game. Says it on the receipt. If you didn't like it, tough shit. Reason being that if we give money back for a game that was bought new and can't be displayed as new again, we lose money. That's a sitting-in-limbo between new and used game. Sucks, but it's at the bottom of the receipt.

As far as the gutted games go, yeah, agreed, if you don't want it, don't buy it. I fully, fully agree with gutting one game for display. I cannot count how many times I saw empty cases (which was assumed to be filled by the person) walk out of my store by some moron looking to steal crap. If an employee takes out a new game, if it's not returned in new condition, they get to buy it.

The thing with the MMO is a big wtf. While we're not supposed to take back PC games, we're fully under command to switch it out for another copy if the game is defective, which, in that case, I'd go ahead and consider that defective. Whatever store denied that is full of suck. And as far as I know, if a PC game is over 19.99, it gets gutted as well, with the gut being both the game AND the key so that people can't swipe them...still happens sometimes, blech.
      Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Quoth marty View Post
        The thing with the MMO is a big wtf. While we're not supposed to take back PC games, we're fully under command to switch it out for another copy if the game is defective, which, in that case, I'd go ahead and consider that defective.
        The problem with MMO games though is that the discs are handy but non-essential, what gets you into the game is the license key provided. Without the discs it's pretty easy to set up your account and download the whole lot from the provider.

The problem occurs when;
        1) People slit the boxes and make a note of the serial code (if live product is on the shelf)
        2) Unscrupulous employees making a note of the code when it's been gutted
        3) A manufacturing issue with the codes occurs making it either plain wrong or just unreadable
        4) You get sent another stores stock and they're returned products (despite company policy to the contrary)

Most of the MMOs I've played have policies in place to get this sort of situation sorted quickly and normally involves a couple of pics, one of the Serial code and one of the receipt, they'll normally issue a new code and if you're lucky boot the other player off their account
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Quoth tamezin View Post
          Honestly, I wouldn't like this situation either. I probably wouldn't have made the purchase. Not your fault obviously...but I am one of those picky peoples. If I am buying a new game/movie/whatever...I want to be the first one to pop the seal on the item. Anything else just isn't the same.
          Personally I would have asked for a discount since the packaging was already open. I know that most stores will tell you that they can't, so that's why I would have asked for a manager even before the item was rang up.

In customer service I know the headache of one employee saying something and being completely wrong, and then being the customer service guy that takes the full brunt of customer aggression when I tell them that the employee was wrong. I always ask for a manager first and get their name in writing should anything happen.

Does that make me a 'stupid customer' now?
          --AmericanZero8503--
          Telling Stories from the Front Line a.k.a Customer Service at a Grocery Store

Comment

Naaman, we're actually supposed to take the product key out with the discs when we gut those types of games (and just stick it in the sleeve with the discs). Some people forget or just don't do it. 'S stupid.
            Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Quoth marty View Post
              Naaman, we're actually supposed to take the product key out with the discs when we gut those types of games (and just stick it in the sleeve with the discs). Some people forget or just don't do it. 'S stupid.
              Different companies have different procedures though and it would still being easy for unscrupulous staff to get the code.

For us new stuff used to get 'deaded' (gutted) and anything over a certain price, disc was stuck in the manual along with all the other bumph and shrink wrapped immediately. When Star Wars Galaxies came out it was routinely gutted, but after a few months, when the price dropped, we just used to tag it and shrink wrap it (it was one of those oversize boxes that only get security seals at the factory).

Couple that with a head office who didn't know much about MMOs it took us a little while to explain to them about how the serial keys worked, I only knew because I was playing them, before we were allowed to refuse returns on those items (after explaining fully to the customer). Undoubtedly a few stores were unaware of the problems and so took returns on them, a percentage of those would have rendered the key unusable and they would have had unsellable stock on the shelves. When stock take comes around their large stack of them get distributed to other stores and then it's someone else's problem..
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

I don't mean to play devils advocate here,

But on the topic of wondering if you're going to like a game even if you haven't played a demo, you could always rent the title first at a Blockbuster or something.

Yeah, it might set you back 5 or 6 bucks, but at least that way you'll know if your purchase is waranted.

On the flip side, most of us would complete a game given the rental time, so, there's also that endevor.
                Screw normal. You know why? 'Cause if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader.

Christopher Titus.

Comment

I have no problems with using a gutted movie or game. Only MMOs I play is WoW (which I need to get a new sub for my next computer) and Guild Wars (EQ's Account since she stopped playing). If I'm buying a new video game it's generally of a series I've tried out at a friend's or a re-do of an older game (TEKTRIS!).
                  Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Working...
                  X