This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth ditchdj View Post
    That's becoming a major peeve of mine when I purchase something at a retail store and the cashier begins interviewing me about where I live, my phone number and all that crap. I really got irritated about it when I read this piece.....

I notice that the local Best Buy where I live stopped doing that so I'm guessing their corporate office has been getting a lot of complaints about it. In fact, it's even illegal in California for a cashier to request ID if a customer pays for a purchase with a signed credit card.
    Most gas stations in my area uses address verification if you a credit card at the pump. You put in you ZIP code when you swipe the card and if it matches you billing address it accepts the card. If a thief steals you card chances are they wont know your ZIP code.

I don't know why retail stores don't do it on their on PINPADS.

Comment

And again this morning! I'll have you all know, one man single-handedly saved the planet just this morning.

I wonder how these people would react if I turned things around on them and started in with: "You don't really need a bag for that do you? What the hell are you thinking?"

(I think I need another happy pill today)

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
      ~Clerks

Comment

Quoth VenomX View Post
        I am guessing you missed this part?

Note: A retail company can ask to see a photo ID card, but it cannot write down or store this information.
        A retailer may only ask for photo ID if the signature on the card and receipt do not match. Visa and MasterCard specifically prohibit their merchants from requiring photo ID as a condition of purchase - it violates the merchant's contract with the card company.

Most employees who ask to see the ID are doing so because they believe they are preventing fraud or are told by management/coworkers they have to; however, some people out there can and do use this information for criminal purposes.

I always refuse to show ID when asked in these situations. I will abandon my purchases and go to a different store if I have to. I'm sure a lot of people think that I'm an SC because of this - but having been confronted with unscrupulous employees who have done exactly that in the past, I've learned that you can never be too careful when it comes to that.

That said, I also have a piece of card stock paper that I've cut out to slide my license into if I should ever need to show it, as in for proof of age - it displays the state, photos, name, date of birth, and signature. There's no reason for anyone to ever need more than that information from me. But, again, that's only for say, buying alcohol. If I'm at the bookstore, you ain't seeing my ID, no way no how.
        WoW addict: Rogue, Paladin, Hunter, Priest!

Comment

And I've compared enough signatures to see that they don't always appear to match or watched people scribble a line and call it a name so I will always demand proof. It protects them from someone, who may be able to match a signature close enough, as well as me. I'm the one who gets hit with the chargeback fee if it isn't really legit.

Today I had an annoying man who, when I asked if he wanted a copy of his receipt spoke to me as if I were a moron.

Me: "And would you like a copy?"
          Jerk: "Of course I do" (said slowly with a roll of the eyes)
          Me: "Well, as often as people hand me their copy and ask ME to throw it away for them, I will ask EVERYONE from now on. If they don't need it, it saves my paper so there is a reason I ask this"
          Jerk: (conceded that point as a possibility and dropped his condescending attitude)

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
          ~Clerks

Comment

Quoth jaya9581 View Post
            I always refuse to show ID when asked in these situations. I will abandon my purchases and go to a different store if I have to. I'm sure a lot of people think that I'm an SC because of this - but having been confronted with unscrupulous employees who have done exactly that in the past, I've learned that you can never be too careful when it comes to that.
            Now see, I find that strange. I have "See ID" written on the back of my card, right next to my signature. I WANT them to see that the name, and smiling face that they're looking at belong to the same person.

Of course nowadays too many stores have self-checkout where nobody even ask for signatures any more. I've sent both my nephew and niece with my visa more than once to use it this way...

Quoth SuperB View Post
            Me: "And would you like a copy?"
            Jerk: "Of course I do" (said slowly with a roll of the eyes)
            Me: "Well, as often as people hand me their copy and ask ME to throw it away for them, I will ask EVERYONE from now on. If they don't need it, it saves my paper so there is a reason I ask this"
            Jerk: (conceded that point as a possibility and dropped his condescending attitude)
            I actually get asked this a lot lately. More and more retailers are not printing receipts unless people want them. That's fine with me, but I'll always take one because I use a Debit card, and I NEED the receipt to keep track of what I spend.

Eric the Grey
            In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
              And I've compared enough signatures to see that they don't always appear to match or watched people scribble a line and call it a name so I will always demand proof. It protects them from someone, who may be able to match a signature close enough, as well as me. I'm the one who gets hit with the chargeback fee if it isn't really legit.
              I'm strictly talking about situations where the two signatures don't match. If you've got a receipt where the signature matches the one the bank has on file, they should be denying the chargeback. That's why you're supposed to verify the signatures, and then if they do not match verify with photo ID.

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
              Now see, I find that strange. I have "See ID" written on the back of my card, right next to my signature. I WANT them to see that the name, and smiling face that they're looking at belong to the same person.
              If people want to do that, that's great. I don't have a problem with people wanting that extra security. I, however, don't. I prefer to take care of my own security - and like I said, I've seen people jot down license info, or even just remember it - not hard in an area you live in to remember a street address, for example. If I spend $10K at Best Buy on new TV/Stereo equipment, video games, and a computer, and you get a glance at my address and realize I'm just down the street, who's to say you won't show up tomorrow while I'm at work and haul out that nice new stuff I just bought?

I'd be sad if someone took my computer and my 360, so I keep my info private.
              WoW addict: Rogue, Paladin, Hunter, Priest!

Comment

If in the course of a day in retail someone has the ability to remember any specifics on someone's license I would be very, very surprised. When I ask for ID all I want to see is the name and picture for credit cards and birthdate and picture for age related purchases. I guess I just don't understand the tin foil hat thing with regard to ID. I've had some people want to scratch off their number and name from my copy before. (not happening) Credit isn't a right, it's a responsibility. And in reality, if someone wanted to screw with someone's credit, anyone with access to the machine could. I've even had people demand to know where we keep our signed slips.

I've been getting a lot of people thanking me for asking for ID lately but I've had a few complain who actually had "ask 4 ID" on the back. What's really annoying is getting someone with a "ll" or "lll" (so-and-so the second/third) on their license but not on their card.

~Clerks

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
                  If I do ask if they want a bag I damned near get a lecture about the environment.
                  The other day a man spent the entire transaction muttering about the environment after I told him we were out of paper. Listen, sir, if you're that concerned about the environment, get some re-usable fucking bags. Then you'll never have to get plastic again, and you can save a fucking tree.
                  The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post

(I think I need another happy pill today)
                    <Primer offers SuperB an extra Happy Pill.>

As for asking for ID's for CC purchases, I have no problems showing mine. Several places have even stopped requiring signatures for purchases, usually under $50 worth. My vet clinic knows me well enough that they don't even ask for a signature on $1000 (that's three zeros) CC purchase. They know I'm good for it, and they know I'll be back! Heck, a few months ago one of my pups needed emergency (minor) surgery, and I got her there right before closing (yes, I had called ahead). The doctor stayed late to do the surgery, let me pick up 4 hours later, and told me not to worry about paying till the next time I was in.
                    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                      More and more retailers are not printing receipts unless people want them. That's fine with me, but I'll always take one because I use a Debit card, and I NEED the receipt to keep track of what I spend.
                      The store I used to work at finally had the register receipt printer go nuts in such a way that itemized receipts did not automatically print, you had to hit a few keys after the transaction was completed in the system. I was told to tell customers that we couldn't print receipts and offer to handwrite one (lessee, formfeed the receipt tape, find a working pen, hope the register hadn't cleared the transaction and if it had call it up again which could take anywhere from 2 seconds to 2 minutes depending on what the server's mood was...OR hit two keys and get it reprinted*). Even gamers like to know exactly what they're spending.

* If the register receipt did not print, there would be no hard-copy record of the transaction at all...that couldn't be good
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                      X