Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Like asking what the meaning of life is.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like asking what the meaning of life is.

Whenever I ask my customers how many scoops of ice cream they want, most of them act like they were just given a Jeopardy question.

It's funny looking in their eyes as they glaze over as the hamster forces the rusted wheels to rotate enough to finally give an answer.

It isn't so bad all the time, but the question is a given for ordering scoops of ice cream. How could they not know by now that it's coming?
    "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

When I worked at Brighams in MA, I used to get that a lot. And then there's the ones who, upon seeing the size of the scoop after finally picking just one, complain that it's not enough.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

It seems any time you give them a choice, they go to THAT place.

Customer: "I'd like a lottery ticket?"
      Me: "Okay, what kind of lottery ticket?"
      Customer: *dial tone -- duh* "What's winning?" or "What's a good one?"
      Me: "I don't play lottery that often. It's either win or lose."
      Customer: *dial tone -- duh* "Pick one."
      Me: *grabs for whatever ticket as I don't really care since I won't be winning anyway*

Customer: "I need cigarettes."
      Me: "What kind of cigarettes?"
      Customer: *eyes glaze over* "Your cheapest pack"
      Me: *asking for specifications like full flavor, lights, shorts, 100s, etc., so that I don't have to make 500 trips back to the cigarette rack until I'm hot*

Customer: "I want gas."
      Me: "What pump? How much?"
      Customer: "The white car"
      Me: *sees 8 pumps with white cars* "Which pump number? There are 8 white cars out there."
      Customer: "I don't know.... that one." *pointing off toward Timbuktu*
      Me: *I guess I'll just wait until I see which white car they approach because they pointed at the dumpster on the opposite side of the lot from the pumps* "How much do you want?"
      Customer: *handing over odd assortment of money* "Whatever this is. I think it's $x.xx, but I'm not sure."
      Me: *counts money* "It's actually $y.yy, not $x.xx."
      Customer: *already heading for the door before I finish counting, drool dripping and knuckles dragging in customer's wake* "Duh, okay, will you make sure it cuts off for me?"
      Me: *sigh, okay, sure* thinking to myself how can people not figure out their pump number when it's plainly labelled on both the pump and the column. I'm just glad they select their own grade at the pump.
      The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

I know that look. The same look appears on my customer's faces when I asked, "Chips, apple or bread?"

COME ONE PEOPLE! IT'S INSANELY SIMPLE - A BAG OF CHIP, AN APPLE, OR A PIECE OF BREAD! ARG?!@!?

Comment

Quoth Custard Chick View Post
          "Chips, apple or bread?"
          I would love an extra hunk of bread to go with my hunk of bread that has been sliced open and modified with bits of dead animals, random emulsions, and slivers of vegetation. I loves Carbs!
          *giggles to herself mostly*
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
            I would love an extra hunk of bread to go with my hunk of bread that has been sliced open and modified with bits of dead animals, random emulsions, and slivers of vegetation. I loves Carbs!
            Man, I hope you're happy.

Now I'm hungry and need to go get food.
            I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
            In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

how can people not figure out their pump number when it's plainly labelled
              Yes, but those labels are a kind of sign and SCs can't read signs.

And I'm not a smoker but don't most smokers have a preferred brand, or at least type, of cigs?
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Oddly enough, I have encoured the dreaded "Uhhhhhh" look at my hotel!

"King or Queen?"

"Whichever's cheaper."

"They're the same price."

"...uh.......err.......mmmm......"

Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                  How did you know what I just had for dinner....runs off to put on tin-foil hat.
                  That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

When presented with questions about food, my brain tends to wage this epic battle in quest of the answer of what i want. But I'm aware I'm terrible at making food-based decisions, so I find out my options before hand and decide before I have to actually answer the question.
                    I think my problem is that I'm not picky enough, I like pretty much everything that is edible, therefore narrowing it down can be difficult.
                    "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

I got that at work al the time. A custoemr want to order a cake. Eventually I ask "what would you like written in it" The respond .... "Yes" I ccan see MAYBE misunderstanding me and hearing "would you like something written on it" if it is noisy and a lot of shoppers talking.

I was talking to one of hour deli employees today and they get they all the time.

Deli Clerk: Hi! What can I get you?
                      Customer: X Brand Ham, or whatever they want
                      Deli Clerk: How much?
                      Customer: Yes.

I can not see how you can misunderstand the question. You asked for some meat or cheesed sliced and they ask how much. DC did not say, "You said *product*, correct? They said how much. The appropriate answer is 1/2 pound, 1/4 pound, etc.

Comment

I am a terribly indecisive person. Deciding between ice cream flavours in the grocery store can take upwards of 20 minutes. But I'm nowhere as bad as these people. I prepare myself for decision-makin time!
                        Tonight I went to a new restaurant for dinner. Since I knew I'd be debating over the menu for ages, I just looked it up online and decided before I even left work.
                        I smoke one particular kind of cigarettes. I have two back-up choices in case they're out.
                        "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."
                        "Free at last from my vegetable prison!"
                        X-Strike Studios: Video game movies done RIGHT!

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                          Yes, but those labels are a kind of sign and SCs can't read signs.

And I'm not a smoker but don't most smokers have a preferred brand, or at least type, of cigs?
                          They might not have been buying for themselves, probably buying illegally for some kid outside. But you'd think even the kid would give him a brand.
                          I myself have bought ciggies for someone else, my mom, but not being completely sucky, I actually asked what she wanted first.
                          "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                            Oddly enough, I have encoured the dreaded "Uhhhhhh" look at my hotel!

"King or Queen?"

"Whichever's cheaper."

"They're the same price."

"...uh.......err.......mmmm......"

i get that on the phone all the time... haven't gotten it too much at the hotel though...
                            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth froglet View Post
                              They might not have been buying for themselves, probably buying illegally for some kid outside. But you'd think even the kid would give him a brand.
                              I myself have bought ciggies for someone else, my mom, but not being completely sucky, I actually asked what she wanted first.
                              The one time I bought cigs for my friend ('can't remember why, but I wouldn't have done it without a good reason, since I don't smoke and don't like my friends coating their lungs in tar), I got it wrong. The were the right brand, the right type, but not the right size. He didn't complain though. "They'll do. Thanks again for getting them for me, anyway", he said.
                              "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Working...
                              X