Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does that get them completely bright and white again? Not heard of that trick.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
      Does that get them completely bright and white again? Not heard of that trick.

Rapscallion
      It seemed to. Of course, this was nearly 40 years ago, so it was "The Real Thing"... no HFCS or new formula.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

One "up" side to working on the phones is that there is no uniform. Over the years we've gone from business wear to business casual to "jeans allowed as long as you're not seeing customers in person."
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          I'm sure the chips and cards are probably pretty nasty, but can you imagine what lurks in the felt? There's no way that stuff could not be gross.

^-.-^
          Oh trust me, that was the reason my hands were black when I went on my breaks. I'm not even exaggerating there. The cards are probably a lot cleaner than the chips and the felt since they're generally only used for a certain period of time then replaced. Had one guy drop a chip in his drink, he then tried to fish it out and continue to drink it , the supervisor had the drink replaced for him. People just don't realize the level of ick there.

Last job I had we had bright canary yellow t-shirts. I was just working a jewelry counter (it was for a film studio liqudation) so it wasn't so bad, but I imagine that the people working in the furniture area or even the cash would have gone home pretty dirty because man was that place dusty. At least they weren't dress shirts and we could wear jeans if we wanted.
          “Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”

-Charles Bukowski

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
            White shirts do NOT belong in a grocery store!!!!
            And this is why I've dropped a little extra on my jack-of-all-trades closet for when I cover management shifts instead of regular grunt shifts (when I wear a store polo shirt). Shirt and tie, yes, but nice, dark colors. Maroon, navy, charcoal, the sort of shades that hide general dust and dirt and in nice sturdy fabrics (at least compared to the sort of cloth a standard dress shirt is made from).

Longer ago than I care to remember the store I worked for did that white shirt and tie thing for anyone ranking over grunt. Not cool.

Comment

The Pick N Save (oh, I'm sorry, it's Mega now) grocery store I used to work at keeps changing their uniform every couple of years.

Back 7-8 years ago, it was dark navy blue polo shirts. Then about a year or so after I quit, it was light blue button up shirts. Now it's these darker reddish button up shirts.

It's a damn grocery store.

At Festival Foods, they all have to wear aprons over their uniforms. And a stupid baseball cap type hat.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                At Festival Foods, they all have to wear aprons over their uniforms. And a stupid baseball cap type hat.
                the other chain I mentioned is Festival. I think only the backroom people wear the ball cap and a green golf shirts. at least the ones in this area are going dress shirt/slacks and black tie.
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

That's interesting, they all wear aprons and I was certain the baseball caps even on the front end.

Comment

Mr. Skeen briefly worked at a local grocery store and his uniform was a white button-down (long or short sleeve) shirt, any kind of tie he wanted, long black pants, and black dress shoes. Girls didn't wear ties but had to keep their hair back somehow if it was longer than chin length. If employees were stationed at the check outs near the doors in winter they could buy a sleeveless company vest or sweater jacket for a few bucks. If they were on cart duty they could wear their own heavy coats but they had to take them off as soon as they were back in the store. The guy doing carry outs could only wear the company sweater.

And no, Mr. Skeen's shirts were never pristinely white. I replaced them every few months because I got tired of trying to remove whatever it was that was staining them.

Comment

Quoth senor boogie woogie View Post
                      I know this because the assistant manager told me this, and expressly said that his application was rejected for wearing jeans, even thought that is what we wore on duty. It's a respect thing, and it is asinine. .
                      I'm sorry, the business doesn't qualify for Respect™ until they raise the base pay level to at least 175% of local Minimum Wage. THEN we can talk "respect". Moreover, he was just turning in a freaking APP o_O I can understand calling him out for wearing jeans to an interview, but to leave a piece of paper I think that manager was just looking for a reason to not have to read apps that day.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I have to agree that white clothing, or dress clothing, have no business in front line retail. Ever. All I can say about having such dress codes for stockers, cashiers, etc is ...
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

This sounds like the market district store of Kroger in my area. Everything looked perfect in the aisles and you saw a bunch of employees. They all wore white dress shirts with ties although I think one or two may have had aprons on.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                            over the last year or so I have noticed that the local chain grocery stores have been upping their uniform standards as in making them more "office-y"
                            But not the pay, I imagine.

The dress code at my last retail job was kind of weird. We had to wear dress pants, jeans were not allowed. Thankfully, they did let us wear sneakers, since we were on our feet a lot. And since we wore a company smock over our shirt, it didn't matter what kind of shirt we wore.

What really sucked was that this job could be messy -- paint, roof coating, driveway sealer -- all that shit would sometimes leak and get on my clothes. Even lumber would sometimes have splinters that would snag and tear at my clothes. I ruined a few pairs of pants at that job, and by the time I quit my sneakers looked like they had been thru war.

I have to dress up at my current job, which I don't like, but at least it's an office job, where it's unlikely that my clothes will get damaged or stained on the job.
                            Sometimes life is altered.
                            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                            Uneasy with confrontation.
                            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

My job has both relaxed and upped their standards of the uniform at the same time recently. We're allowed to wear jeans now. It was that we had to wear khaki pants, and they supplied us with a red polo shirt thing and a tan/khaki colored visor and/or hat

Now we're allowed to wear jeans, and have to supply our own white polos, and they have given us dark brown hats/visors to wear along with aprons that must stay at the store.

Mind you, I work overnights, and bake, with lots of frosting and glaze, and sugar and all sorts of fun messy things.

Overnights "dress code": Jeans, whatever shirt you want. If you're the one who also has to man the register for the driver-thru, make sure it's nothing offensive and bring your white polo with you so you can put it on when you open the dining room at 5am

Comment

While I probably shouldn't be bitching because I work in a factory and we can be as casual as we want (pretty much), it annoys me that with so much recent "hoohah" about "offensive" and "inappropriate" attire, that we practically are being told to dress nicer to come to our factory jobs. That's just assnine.

Comment

Working...
                                X