X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The herding of wasps!

It is once again summertime here in Norway
    The only way to avoid cooking to death in my office is by having the window open (we don’t have AC or venitlation). This is of course not risk free as there are now nothing between myself and the wasps which are cruising around outside.

The season officially opened today with the two bumblebees that flew into my small office, one flew out by itself while the other one has made camp on the lamp above my head.

As you may imagine work tends to stop while I try to herd them out from my small office (let me press the part about my office is a small and confined space). I am scared of wasps and bees, so I am unable to do any work until I have gotten them out (got stung many times as a kid). I always try to avoid killing them if I can avoid it.

Last year I got a total of 24 wasps and bees into my office. I wonder how many this year?

The season is officially open. It is going to be fun!

Current wasp/bee coount : 2
    “I don’t have pet peeves, I have major, psychotic hatreds.” -George Carlin

Don't they use screens in Norway? Just get some nice screening, fine weave, and put it in a frame, put the frame in the outside ridge on the window and viola. no bees or wasps can enter.

Comment

Last week I got deemed with the title "Bee Herder." One was a wasp that camped itself out by the drive-thru window. The other was a HUGE bumblebee and it camped at the ceiling by the front counter registers. Both times I grabbed a coffee cup and paper bag and put them outside.

Comment

Also, you can try mosquito netting over doors and windows. Air can still flow, but the bugs cannot.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I used to know somebody that would use a vacuum to get rid of unwanted bugs. Won't save them, but easier to suck them up than herd them out.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Due to how our windows work it is not possible to put any sort of netting over it.
            I have never seen screens of any sort here in Norway. I don't think they even exist here. Maybe because we only have decent summer weather for about 4 months per year.

I normally catch them by putting a coffee cup over them and then shuffling a piece of cardboard under the cup so that they are trapped, I then throw them from the cup and out the window. It usually works very well.

Comment

They do have mosquito nets in Sweden and we even have them in Denmark, but mainly in the country where there are more insects.
              I have a frame with net in myself in the bedroom. It's not fun waking up in the middle of the night, itching and hearing lots of mosquitoes flying around.

Comment

Maybe a skeeter net around your desk then? Sorry, I got nothing.
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                  Maybe a skeeter net around your desk then? Sorry, I got nothing.
                  Not entirely silly, actually. There is portable netting made to set up over cots with its own framing. It might not be too hard to modify for desk use.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

You need some of this,like it says,it'll shoot 22 feet.I once had to clear a wasp nest out of my house,I had a can in each hand,when they came boiling out of the wall I felt like an AA gunner during the Battle of Midway
                    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

If it's a bee, I open the window and say to it "Come on, out you go, there's nothing for you in here. Your place is outside" and they fly out of the window. (I'm NOT kidding)

I used to do the same for wasps, until one little stripy b***** stung me last year in an unprovoked attack in my dining room - they feel my wrath now.
                      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Huh, got curious, took a look around, and found this and other sites. I figure if they make netting to cover king-sized four post beds, you could find something that would fit your desk, with the addition of a few posts to hold it off your head, of course.

Yay internet!
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

As to putting netting around my desk is for various reasons not practical, nor would I get permission from my boss.
                          But I think I shall try to locate some mosquito netting (there must be something here in Norway, though I have never seen anything).
                          With some creative thinking I might be able to seal of my window somehow.
                          I think I shall try this.

Comment

I gotta wonder why you DON"T have air conditioning or ventilation? Or window screens for that matter...I can't escape them here.
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

If you can't get a proper window screen, use fabric. An old sheet, a pillowcase, whatever. And double-sided tape, or even masking tape.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X