Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if a store employee gives another customer the coupons? I know at Target, coupons sometimes print out at the end of your transaction. The cashiers there always seem to have them stacked on their register if the other customers leave them behind. I've had the cashier tell me I can take them... I wonder if they track those?

Comment

First off EVERY transaction is tracked somehow, for some period of time, some have more details than other

We still have one major retailer around here that doesn't do rewards cards but has a print out of coupons if you buy certain stuff together or spend a certain amount. However, let me speculate on how they caught him, computers are strong and smart.

They might have a subroutine built in that notices if you use X number of coupons in a transaction, pull up details on where/when they originated. So they learn what date. 3 of them from Marks register, they pull tape. Watch customer throw coupon in trash. Then Mark digging it out.

We have a rewards program, we not allowed to use our card for anyone else, or keep coupons given to us as we can lose our job, so if someone really doesn't want their free drink (VERY RARE) I will give ti to next person (or someone we like)

To get back on point, It sucks for Mark as I am sure they have a rule against using customers coupons for yourself as my company does, stupid yes but with the way the economy is we are forced to deal with stupid policies, no breaks, no discounts, and need to smile. Little bit far reaching to have him arrested, I think firing him would have sent enough message but maybe they really want to make sure NOBODY ever tries to keep their wages by retrieving coupons from the trash.
      I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

I kind of thought stores tracked credit card numbers with those coupons, but maybe not. I'll get coupons for female hair products while my coworker will get male hair products even if all we're getting is some kind of food. Then my one boss received diaper coupons which I never received till after I bought stuff for a baby shower. I also rarely get repeated coupons unless I switch to my other debit card. We just started the equivalent of a store card and this seems to have been going on for a few years before the store number. On the other hand, I don't know if tracking credit card numbers like that would be legal.

I know when I worked at Kroger, I had to use a special Kroger card along with my immediate family so I wouldn't be eligible for some of the promotions that were going on and to get my discount. They made it clear on the first day that I had to use that Kroger card.

Comment

When I was at C-Store, I frequently terminated people for using discounts meant for customers. That was simply a matter of policy, which was reinforced several times so that no one could say that they didn't know if they didn't read their handbook.

The criminal part usually came because they were using these coupons, discounts, and promotions to pocket money. If they are scanning in a $1.00 coupon on a customer's transaction and pocketing that dollar, that's theft. Slippery slope arguments aside, experience has shown that most of the people that I have questioned about this have admitted to other theft as well.

Sucks that your friend got caught up in this. It sounds like he didn't mean any harm, but that's why stores treat this stuff so seriously.

Comment

Working...
          X