This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'But I was told to clean it!'

This is a tossup as to whether it fits best here or in chewing out co-workers...

A few years back I was a nurse working in the operating rooms. I'd been part of a project team that implemented an OR IT system, which had been in use for several years. I was also the 'first point of call (unofficial)' if there were any local PC issues, general trouble shooter and allround dog's body (plus pulling a full clinical load as well).

Well, one day I was heading off to my afternoon OR list, when one of my colleagues came to me and said he had a problem logging onto the computer in his theatre. I went to help him, and he said 'I think there's something wrong with the keyboard because I can't type in my user ID.'

I went to the computer, tried to log in - no go. The mouse worked OK (this was in the days before USB mice and keyboards, it had PS2 ports), so I checked if the mouse and keyboard had been swapped over. No, they're in the right spots.

Then I noticed the keyboard was sitting on a folded up towel. Whaaa??? I picked the keyboard up, and soapy water literally poured out of it. Double whaaa???

Well, on investigation... turns out another colleague had been told to 'clean the keyboard' by a senior nurse. Now, the 'guilty party' is a known clean freak - spends half his shift in hot soapy water up to his elbows scrubbing like a loony - but he wasn't computer savvy, at all. So he asked how to clean the keyboard (they couldn't have needed much cleaning as they all had skins, and were always used with clean gloves anyway), and was told 'don't be blimmin stupid, just damned well clean it!'

So he did. In the sink, full of hot soapy water, he scrubbed the bejesus out of the poor old keyboard. Then rinsed it, tried to dry it (fail!) and dutifully reinstalled it on the computer.

Anyway, the keyboard got replaced (oh really? I hear you ask!) and the 'guilty party' got reamed out (totally unfairly, I thought) by the senior who told him to do the job without explaining how. Firstly, I expect the senior had no idea how to do the job either, and secondly, for a $20 generic keyboard? Please!

Me, I got a bloody good laugh out of it.

I'd say it fits here or brain burps.

Damn, that's funny.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I've run mine through a dishwasher. It's not that water and electronics don't mix, it's water and electricity.

But yeah, you've gotta know what you're doing and I agree; senior nurse should've owned up.

Comment

Also, to clean the keyboard, you CAN get keyboard wipes and whatnot.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

There are certain keyboards -- like the venerable M-90 and its modern "remakes" -- that have removable keys that can be washed in a dishwasher if you put them into a mesh bag (tho the underlying "board" generally isn't water-friendly), but they usually cost a *bit* more than twenty bucks

As long at you dry them out completely before plugging them back in, though, they should still be usable.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

These were bog standard basic keyboards. And no, hospital budget didn't extend to wipes etc, but we had plenty of other stuff to use. Even a slightly damp cloth with a bit of detergent over the touchable bits would have been fine, but I guess Senior didn't allow for the scrub-everything-to-death clean freak.

I've done the emergency coke-spill type breakdowns and cleans, and I've heard of using the dishwasher (never done it myself because I haven't had one till recently - dishwasher, that is!) as a last-ditch, but I don't buy big flash keyboards, and I consider them a consumable.

Comment

I'm currently working with an $80.00 keyboard on my computer, but it's a gaming one with extra special keys for me to key-bind stuff to and all that fun stuff. If someone did that to this keyboard I would've thrown a hiss-fit the size of the Grand Canyon. Then again, I take care of my own stuff

I agree that I think the reaming out was very much unfair. He asked how to do it, he didn't just go off and dunk it into the scrub sink until after he was told "Don't be an idiot!" (Seriously, if I was told "not to be an idiot" after asking how to do something I didn't know how to do, I'd go about it the way I thought made the most sense. Though... I probably wouldn't have dunked it in water...)
              My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I tend to be a little bit possessive of my keyboard these days after a relative broke my last gaming keyboard - thankfully it was old and due for replacing but its ill-timed demise caused me trouble for a couple of days afterwards due to having trouble getting a replacement.

These days no one touches my gaming keyboard except me, if someone wants to use my computer I unplug it and replace it with my generic $15 keyboard that I couldn't care less if they break - it is also handy if anything does ever go wrong with my main keyboard, heaven forbid.
                Violets are blue,
                Roses are red,
                I bequeath to thee...
                A boot to the head >_>

Comment

I am actually considering saving up for an M-90 type keyboard (there is a company that refurbishes them and converts them to USB) -- for those unfamiliar with the term, they're the old 80's style IBM keyboards that have those wonderfully LOUD, clacky keys and, in a pinch, make a dandy improvised melee weapon

I would think that "helicopter" bosses who wanna make sure workers are always busy would LOVE these things -- after all, you don't need to get up and check that your workers are using the computer if you can HEAR it just fine

As for me, I just prefer the "feel" of them; plus, they're nice and sturdy.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    I am actually considering saving up for an M-90 type keyboard (there is a company that refurbishes them and converts them to USB) -- for those unfamiliar with the term, they're the old 80's style IBM keyboards that have those wonderfully LOUD, clacky keys and, in a pinch, make a dandy improvised melee weapon

I would think that "helicopter" bosses who wanna make sure workers are always busy would LOVE these things -- after all, you don't need to get up and check that your workers are using the computer if you can HEAR it just fine

I absolutely LOVED those keyboards. PLUS they were durable a heck. I guess the reason I like them is that I cut my teeth on IBM 029 keypunch machines.

Most keyboards today IMO have a very mushy feeling with little tatical feedback.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      Yeah, operative definition of that keyboard design is "if you fire it into a brick wall at mach 1 it will come out the winner and still function."
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        I am actually considering saving up for an M-90 type keyboard
                        Don't know if their specs are still as high, but the one I have from my old PS/2 machine (RIP good friend) is still going strong. I'm glad I'm a touch typist though, the home row keys, and a select few others are completely blank now.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                          I absolutely LOVED those keyboards. PLUS they were durable a heck. I guess the reason I like them is that I cut my teeth on IBM 029 keypunch machines.

Most keyboards today IMO have a very mushy feeling with little tatical feedback.
                          I'm kind of torn about this, myself. On the one hand, I love loud, clacky keyboards. On the other, I also love the quieter, tap-tap-tap sound of a modern keyboard like my laptop has.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I used a Das Keyboard II for a few years (the blank one), then switched to an ergonomic keyboard with blank mechanical keys last year. I don't have to worry about anybody trying to use the keyboard - without labels, it's impossible to tell which key does what without trying it first.

Comment

I used to have a site where one can get the refurb'd M90's, bookmarked...somewhere >_> I'll look the link up at home, later, and post it here (if that's allowed).

edit: RacketMan -- did you mean "tactile feedback"? <ClippythePaperclip> ^_^
                              Last edited by EricKei; 02-04-2013, 03:28 PM. Reason: forgot to add the quotATION

Comment

Working...
                              X