This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Story of Angry Lady

I realize I haven't been here in over a year, but my present to you in return is a wonderfully-amusing story. In the time I've been away from the forums, I briefly worked as an IT support person (before bossman went off the rails and caused 99% of the company to quit...which is really unfortunate, because I loved that job). I've not only been a big nerd my entire life, but I've also spent the past 18 years working on both the ins and outs of computers. I build them, repair them, network them, virtualize them...basically, if it's something computer-related, I know what I'm doing.

One day, a very angry woman walked into our office. It's very important to note that her desktop computer was broken, but she didn't bring it into the office for me to look at it. Thus begins this interesting encounter.

Me: Hi! Welcome to <name of computer repair shop>. What can I help you with today?

Angry Lady: My computer's broken! Fix it!

Me: I see you didn't bring it in with you today. What seems to be the problem?

AL: It doesn't work!

Me: How is it not working? Can you turn it on, or does nothing happen when you hit the power button? Does it power up, but it might just be slow from a virus?

AL: You should know this! *thinks for a second* My monitor doesn't work! I bought a new monitor, but it doesn't work! Oh, and my computer is making a loud noise!

At this point, several diagnoses run through my head with one really being a standout as the likely problem--but as you might imagine, it's pretty hard to diagnose a piece of hardware you don't have. I ask more questions.

Me: I'm thinking it sounds like there may be one of three things wrong with your computer. If you could bring it in, I'll take a look at it.

From this point on, she screams at me every time she speaks to me. I'm surprised people in the doctor's office next door didn't run over to see what the problem was. It's not like she's trying to keep our conversation respectful--or at a reasonable volume--anymore.

AL: YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER! TELL ME WHAT'S WRONG!

Me: Ma'am, I honestly don't know what's wrong until you bring it in and let me look at it. Until then, I'm not going to be able to give you the answers you need.

AL: TELL ME WHAT'S WRONG!

Me: Well, ma'am, I think the most likely case is that your motherboard has failed. If that's true, you'll need to buy a new computer. My other two ideas? It also sounds like your power supply may have failed or you might need a new video card. If either of those two are the case, they're fixable problems.

AL: TELL ME HOW MUCH A VIDEO CARD COSTS!

Me: How old is your computer?

AL: IT'S AN ACER!

Me: Ma'am, first things first, I'm going to have to ask you to keep this conversation at a reasonable volume since there is a doctor's office full of sick patients next door. Secondly, you telling me the brand of your computer when I ask for the age doesn't help me. If you could just bring it in to me--

AL: YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! I'M NEVER DOING BUSINESS WITH YOU AGAIN!

Angry Lady storms out of the office like a bat out of hell and nearly tears the plate-glass door off the hinges.

Me (as AL storms out, to myself): You never did business with us in the first place!

I tried to remain as calm as I could throughout the entire exchange, and I think I did a pretty good job given the situation. I mean, I could've used some of my trademark zingers in a few places, but I felt like pointing out the obvious to a person who would never get it would be a waste of zingers.

My boss, his wife, and my coworkers all sat down and had a discussion about this situation later that day. All of us agreed Angry Lady still wouldn't have been satisfied with my tech support services had she stormed out and came back with the computer later in the day.

For the record, I was pretty sure her motherboard was shot. Turns out a friend of mine works across town at our competition and had the (dis)pleasure of dealing with Angry Lady later that day. His diagnosis? Shot motherboard, unfixable computer. I would've loved to seen the look on Angry Lady's face!

Who says I have no idea what I'm talking about? Only the crazies among us, I guess.

It's one thing for a tech guy to be sympathetic toward a customer, but this lady crosses the line at abuse.

Comment

It really did. I almost pointed up to our nice little 720p Ipela surveillance camera to let her know that the police chief was one of our clients, and he would be called in to view the footage and remove her from the property if things got any worse. Alas, I foresaw a situation playing out in my head that involved her throwing fists if I did that...and that's not something I wanted to deal with. That's one reason I tried to purposefully keep her in a certain area. If something did happen, it would all be captured in crystal-clear HD.

This happened a few months ago, and I just remembered another little fun thing she ranted about at length. She wanted her computer diagnosed, yet she flat-out admitted that she didn't want to, in her own words, "drag its a** into the shop." Having worked retail in the last decade and learned how customers work, I know that's either someone being lazy or trying to get something for free. Because she thought I was so terrible, she ended up paying $49 more than I'd have charged her to find out the same thing I'd originally told her all along. I don't know if anyone on this board believes in the idiot tax, but I do. This is proof it exists!

The "drag its a**" rant became a nice little running joke around the office. Every time one of us needed to plug anything into the back of our computer, we'd announce to the rest of the office that we were hot-plugging peripherals into our computer's a**. At least that was something out of this fiasco all of us could laugh about!

Comment

at my last job we had an answer to people who didn't want to bring their computers in for work. we offered them at-home service ... which was of course much more expensive than bringing it in.

Comment

You know those phone call scams that start off with "we've detected a problem with your computer..."? This lady right here is the reason those exist.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
            You know those phone call scams that start off with "we've detected a problem with your computer..."? This lady right here is the reason those exist.
            indeed.

although from a vid i saw where a guy was trying to fuck with them... it took them FOREVER to actually get started on his computer. they kept insisting on calling his landline (he refused & used a burn phone) ... and they could never get his number right.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
              I got one of those the other day. This is how it went down:

Him: Hello ma'am, my name is James Morrison from computer world. I am calling to warn you about the danger you have...

Me: Yes, you're calling about my computer - which is currently turned off and not connected to the internet so you can't be seeing it having any virus problems and you're actually trying to scam me, aren't you?

Him: Yes, I'm trying to scam you, ma'am.

*click*

Me:
              "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth Bob The Random Boy Wonder View Post
                I don't know if anyone on this board believes in the idiot tax, but I do. This is proof it exists!
                I'd wager it's safe to say that most, if not all of us, both believe in and heartily endorse the notion of an Idiot Tax.

Of course, when we propose it to Congress, it'll have to be broken down into smaller chunks:

The ID-10-T assessment, the PEBCAK fee, the "Just give me an answer" supplemental fee (doubled for correct answers), the "Is it plugged in/turned on" section (500 pages right there)...I see unlimited income potential from this one.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  I'd wager it's safe to say that most, if not all of us, both believe in and heartily endorse the notion of an Idiot Tax.

Of course, when we propose it to Congress, it'll have to be broken down into smaller chunks:
                  you'll have your very first chances to officially asses the tax!
                  The ID-10-T assessment, the PEBCAK fee, the "Just give me an answer" supplemental fee (doubled for correct answers), the "Is it plugged in/turned on" section (500 pages right there)...I see unlimited income potential from this one.
                  There, fixed for my own amusement (and hopefully others as well).
                  You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Working...
                  X