Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually just recently had an internet fight with someone regarding extreme couponers, apparently they'd gone out and bought something like 50 boxes of cereal and 40 razors (or was it toothpaste...), and were trololo-ing over it. I linked them the USA Today article, and some other stuff, and asked if they felt that it was worth causing so much of a problem over stuff they weren't sure they were going to use in time.

Aaaand that was like opening a massive can of worms.

Seriously, I think they only do it because of the whole endorphins release that you get from finding out you "saved money". They never, EVER think about how much waste they're causing. Eugh.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
      Seriously, I think they only do it because of the whole endorphins release that you get from finding out you "saved money". They never, EVER think about how much waste they're causing. Eugh.
      Some do, yeah, not everyone does though.

Quite a few buy a lot for donating. Others simply give the coupons to organizations to either buy themselves or pass on to needy families. Others just have larger families. And yes, others buy for the sake of buying because it's cheap or free.

Take the 50 boxes of cereal. For one person, you can't use it all that's for sure. For a family that might go through a box a week? They'll all go before they expire. Cereal goes on sale often enough that you don't really need that many on hand, but eh. I'm the only one that eats cereal so I buy about 2-3 boxes per sale and that's plenty.

Those that do it for charity will often preorder to avoid removing all the stock from the store. That's probably not done nearly as often as it should be, I bet.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
        And she is a perfect example why you DON'T make exceptions, do it once and they expect it forever.
        Exactly and it gets worse with SC's if you tell them no even after they've been told that the credit was a one time deal or otherwise. I love managers with a spine!
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
          they'd gone out and bought something like 50 boxes of cereal and 40 razors (or was it toothpaste...)
          razors, sure, if they're stored properly...but cereal, yeah, as was said above, it depends on the family setup...
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

There was a special on extreme couponers once. Sorry, dont remember exactly when or what channel or anything, Mrs. Rainman was watching it and I was just in the same room. But they showed all sides of that hobby (or whatever you wanna call it) One woman just saved and matched coupons all month and then bought her household's groceries in one big shopping day, I mean she would get hundreds of dollars, once over a thousand dollars, of merchandise for almost nothing. I dont see anything wrong with that, she carefully planned and took advantage of deals when they came, and it was all stuff she was gonna buy anyway. Of course, this show also showed the crazy lady couponer too, the one who will buy in bulk of stuff she doesnt even intend to use (she was single and was buying men's beard coloring gel) So I guess it takes all kinds.

As for the OP's SC, set fire to her.

Comment

Working...
            X