This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
    She has, count 'em, 45 $1 off coupons for said Chapsticks. All well and good you say? Well, here's the thing, we have Chapsticks on sale for 99 cents. So she wants to buy these 45 Chapsticks and not only get them free, but get a penny back on each one
    Ya see, here's the difference between a "normal couponer" and a "batshit insane/extreme couponer" --- Methinks the OP was referring to the latter. ^_^ Regular ones are cool
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
      Had a similar situation in my store last night. I wasn't the cashier involved, but heard about it today.

Couponer comes up to the register with 45 (yes they were counted!) individual Chapsticks. She has, count 'em, 45 $1 off coupons for said Chapsticks. All well and good you say? Well, here's the thing, we have Chapsticks on sale for 99 cents. So she wants to buy these 45 Chapsticks and not only get them free, but get a penny back on each one. Cashier denies it, manager on duty (MOD) is called.

But Teefies2, you say, it's only a total of 45 cents! Yes, however, store policy is that you cannot use a coupon that is more than the price of the item, not to mention that in this state you have to pay the tax on any item you get free. Cue ::catbuttface:: and much yelling!!!!!!!!!! MOD denied her request/demand and then went the extra mile of calling the store manager at home to verify that she did the right thing. Gasp, he said she did!

Of course, Couponer is "NEVER SHOPPING HERE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yeah, right!
      Funny, my store's system overroad that policy. No tax and it was all free.

Comment

I read today that stores are starting to push back against the couponers . . . they're losing too much money.

Explains why the manager didn't cave.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
          I read today that stores are starting to push back against the couponers . . . they're losing too much money.

Explains why the manager didn't cave.

I know there's articles about extreme couponers and their use of stacking that's causing a loss of profit for stores, is that what you're referring to?

Comment

I know 2 extreme couponers. One of them is a delightful lady who always reads the coupons and selects the correct items. She once told me that she had to stand at the service counter and explain that she got too much money taken off. As I recall, it was about 5 bucks.

The other one screams and bitches to get her way. Her husband brags about how she "doesn't take any shit" while berating people. The husband also bragged about a cashier only ringing up half of his expenisve BBQ, so after they loaded it into their car (they didn't want anyone to check the receipt), they went back in and bought the rest of the stuff they wanted. I hates him and her.

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post
              I know there's articles about extreme couponers and their use of stacking that's causing a loss of profit for stores, is that what you're referring to?
              No, I actually read that stores are actually starting to fight back against extreme couponers. http://www.usatoday.com/money/econom...vvy/53323788/1
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                No, I actually read that stores are actually starting to fight back against extreme couponers. http://www.usatoday.com/money/econom...vvy/53323788/1

Yeah, those are the ones I was taking about.

Is that the right article? Mentions the Kardashians?

Comment

Yesterday we had somebody try to stack a friends and family coupon (which I hate, go die) with an employee discount card that was no longer valid.

Yeah, didn't work.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                    Which is why I don't. If a manager want's to and keep the SC "happy," they can and let it come back to haunt them again, and again, and again.
                    My store has a few of those, mainly involving morons using expired/not-our-store/wrong-product coupons (none of which the store will actually get reimbursed for, one FEM throws a fit when she finds bad coupons in the register).
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                      The article seems to be that they're pushing back against coupon use in general. More people are using coupons, which means the manufacturers aren't making as much profit, so they're reducing the number of coupons they give. JC Penney apparently decided that they wanted a more consistent income stream, so they're cutting out most of their sales and dropping their prices in general, instead of depending on sales and coupons to bring customers in.

I didn't see it in the article (I only skimmed it, so I could have missed it), but a lot of coupons now say that no more than four may be redeemed at a time. Many stores that issue their own coupons will only allow one to be redeemed at a time. I like shopping at CVS because they usually limit their Extrabucks offers to one or two items, which helps thwarts the crazies who think buying fifty tubes of toothpaste at a time is normal. Some stores will also limit how many you can buy of an item, no matter whether there's a limit on coupons or not.
                      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                      HR believes the first person in the door
                      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                      Document everything
                      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

That's why I love working where I do. We get exactly 1 coupon a year, and it's only good for about a month.

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                          (she was in her hospital scrubs)
                          Dear god, I hope I never wind up in her hospital. I pray the scrubs are purely for show and that she doesn't actually have access to anyone's meds.

Alternatively I hope she gets saddled with the nastiest, surliest patients and the most demanding elderly ladies in the ER.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                            JC Penney apparently decided that they wanted a more consistent income stream, so they're cutting out most of their sales and dropping their prices in general, instead of depending on sales and coupons to bring customers in.
                            It might work. I don't shop JC Penny's much anymore because their prices are too high. If they come down just a bit consistently, it'll be worth my while to shop there--I prefer the quality over what I can get at Wally world.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                              I don't shop JC Penny's much anymore because their prices are too high..
                              I have a friend who insists on going clothes shopping at JCP because it's "cheap"....Compared to Macy's maybe >_>
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                                JC Penney apparently decided that they wanted a more consistent income stream, so they're cutting out most of their sales and dropping their prices in general, instead of depending on sales and coupons to bring customers in.
                                I work for a competitor of Penney's and really don't think that their new plan will work in the long run. We could beat Penney's prices before they changed their coupon policy and have a better inventory than most Penney's locations. Penney's changed their policy for a couple of reasons. First, it benefits their larger volume and traffic stores, not the smaller stores. These are the stores that have most of the products featured in the ad and the Sephora locations. The smaller stores with less inventory and reduced specialty shop sections won't benefit. Second, it will save them mailing costs. USPS is really struggling and they've increased the cost of direct mail. I also read somewhere that Penney's is planning on renovating the store that are in the top 10 percent saleswise to compete with Macy's. They also snagged Martha Stewart away from Sears. It'll just be the big stores that benefit from these changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X