This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news + bad news with computers.

I'll start with the good news first. Since my Acer's (Aspire 5670 in case you were wondering; by the way, I have several now useless computer things like 2 gigs of SO DIMM RAM and a webcam, if you want them, PM me) motherboard melted like cheese on toast, I finally got myself a Mac. One of the white Macbooks, and got a discount off of it since I'm still in college (whoo!). I'm loving lots of the new features so far, hot corners, Expose, the fact I can put it to sleep without it choking and crashing every once in a while, the speed, the sleekness, the chiclet keys which are so much nicer than the Acer's keyboard, the fact that this thing is cool and stays cool instead of getting insanely burning hot even with a cooling pad underneath, all of that. I just need to get Fusion to run Office and Sims 2. I am aware both have versions for Mac, but $70 for one piece of software versus over $300 to buy the stuff that I already own? Fusion is the CLEAR winner on that.

There's a couple things that have got me bummed out and one of them is feeling lost when it comes to the OS, but I've only had this since Friday so I'm still learning. The other thing that's got me VERY upset is the fact that my Acer's been formatted and had Windows reinstalled and the fact that I didn't back up properly so ALL of my bookmarks from IE plus one album that I downloaded from Amazon are gone. The motherboard has been slowly dying for a while so I backed up onto my external last month before it died but I thought I had backed up my bookmarks and my itunes folder. No. I've lost all of it and I'm so sorry. =/ Yes, I have an ipod and yes I downloaded Senuti, so my music isn't really lost, just that one album that I legally downloaded that's gone since I didn't connect my ipod before the Acer died. So let me be a lesson to all of you. You WILL lose everything when you least expect it!

Two very quick questions for those who have Macs.

1. Said external drive (a 500 gig) shuts itself off and restarts itself on a fairly regular basis, something that never happened on the Acer, ever, plus I can's actually rename the drive. But I can still go into it and access its folders. The older, 80 gig drive doesn't do anything of the sort, it just sits and lets me access it, no problemo. Compatibility issue or merely a virus thing? Because unfortunately, the Acer melted because of the motherboard and because of a Trojan that was on said external that managed to hook itself into a file I backed up onto said drive and which I thought was killed off with Ad-Aware. Ha, no...

2. Airport drops itself on a regular basis as well, usually in the morning and at night. The morning I can understand because of washing machines going in my apartment and the apartment upstairs, but at night? The only thing running in the house is the fridge, my Macbook and its drives several lights in the house and the TV. Bam, Airport is down. The only way I found so far to make it work is by checking the "Network diagnostics" thinger that Safari displays on the "Hi, your computer can't connect to the internet even though it just worked!" page. What might be a smoking gun is that when the external drive goes down and comes up, Airport goes down and comes up as well. Help, please?

Overall impressions of my Mac? I honestly can't see the whole debate between Vista and OS X, both are very pretty and both are about the same in my eyes. But as I said, I only had it since Friday. Give me time and I'll probably be sure to be a Mac fangirl.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill
Working...
X