X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate computers ...

I have a Mac Mini, about 7+ years old.

I have installed on it Microsoft Office for Mac (2011).

Last night I rebooted my computer, for reasons unrelated to M.O.

Now when I try to open it, I'm getting the "Welcome" window, demanding that I either enter my product key, or sign in to an existing subscription.

Word (which is what I use most often) worked fine before this reboot. I doubt I have my product key anywhere, nor do I remember my existing subscription details (fer crying out loud, I installed this SIX YEARS AGO).

Anybody recommend any other options? It seems to me this happened once before, but of course I can't remember what I did to fix it that time either ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

http://openoffice.org

Free alternative to MS Office.

Comment

Try here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...11-application
      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Thank you for both suggestions; I will try both of them.

I have heard good things about Open Office and really should finally give it a try. However, I don't want to give up completely on Microsoft Word because who knows, I might yet get an office job and it's not a bad idea for me to at least have some idea how the program works (my version is six years old, but still ...)
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
          http://openoffice.org

Free alternative to MS Office.
          Strangled in 2011 after Oracle bought Sun and dumped it to Apache OpenOffice.
          Most of the talent and effort went to LibreOffice: http://www.libreoffice.org/
          LibreOffice Whackypedia page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I've gone 25 years without having Office installed on any machine I've ever owned. If you can use the built-in help menu, you'll easily be able to learn enough to blag most jobs that require product knowledge (which usually only means "knows what the Office icon looks like, can double-click on it without assistance.")

I once had to do a timed test performing various tasks, and even looking up every other action I still passed it with flying colours.
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
              (my version is six years old, but still ...)
              So you have a newer version? I'm still using MS Office 2007. It works fine.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                I have heard good things about Open Office and really should finally give it a try. However, I don't want to give up completely on Microsoft Word ...
                Most of the stuff you actually do is very similar in both. I wouldn't worry too much about getting rusty in Word if you're using pretty much any other modern word processor...

And OO/LO/most others can export into Word format...
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Well, I'm on a Mac Mini that's about 7 years old. Does that qualify as "modern"?
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    Strangled in 2011 after Oracle bought Sun and dumped it to Apache OpenOffice.
                    Switched back and forth a few times, wasn't happy with Libre, finally stuck with OO.o. The talent may have left but seems they have new talent.

Comment

Working...
                    X