This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the ...

Okay, here's a new one (for me, anyway). An online friend (not a close one) just sent me a PM on Facebook to tell me he got the following text:

"Hi (Person) there is a new invitation from (my FB account) 8 minutes ago to connect now" with a link.

His PM is a little unclear in terms of a timeline, but very shortly thereafter he got a further message saying "PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK; This message was removed because it contained blocked or harmful links."

He says it was "definitely" from a U.S. number, possibly from Oklahoma. I am not in the U.S. I am certainly not in Oklahoma.

We are both going to change our Facebook passwords, just to be safe, but I'm wondering if there's anything else either or both of us should do.

He also has two further questions:

1) If they stole my info idk why they used your fb name?

2) But if they stole your info idk how they got my number?

I don't know either of those either, especially since I'm fairly sure he's never had any reason to give me his cellphone number. Nor can I imagine why he'd have anything pertaining to me on his cellphone -- so why did the message purport to come from my Facebook account?

Anyway, any advice and/or explanations would be more than welcome.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Based on similar incidents I've heard about, the data breach was probably at Facebook itself - someone managed to grab a piece of a database.

It's an example of social engineering - you're more likely to click on a link a friend sends you than one from an unknown person. The crooks usually grab a bunch of contact lists, then send their spam to everyone on person A's list making it look like it came from person A. Lather, rinse, repeat for everyone whose list they grab.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
    X