This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicotene fit?

Ok due to a couple of requests in my last post about selling cigarettes, I decided to go ahead and post about the wacko who threatened to sue. Seriously, this guy didn't have issues, he had subscriptions. It's been a while (it was in '06), so this is how it happened, to the best of my recollection.

So I'm sitting at work, minding my own business, and a guy comes in and asks for a pack of Basic Light 100's. I stand up, get them off the shelf, and the following conversation ensues.

CM - Crazy Man
    M - Slightly less crazy cashier

CM: THOSE CIGARETTES ARE OUT OF DATE I DON'T WANT THOSE!!!!!
    M: Okay...*flips pack over, reads coded date, sees that they are, indeed, out of date*
    CM: I BOUGHT A PACK IN HERE LAST NIGHT THAT WAS OUT OF DATE!!! I LIT ONE UP AND IT TASTED FUNNY!! THAT LITTLE PAPER IN THERE SAYS 2004 ON IT!!! THEY ARE TWO YEARS OUT OF DATE!!!
    M: *Thinking: Okay, you bought a pack in here last night, smoked them anyway, and came back in to buy another pack?* I'm sorry, I only have these four packs, and I don't have another carton...
    CM: I WANT TO BUY THOSE SO I CAN SHOW YOU THAT PAPER!!!!!
    M: Legally I'm not supposed to sell you out of date products...
    CM: NO I AM GOING TO BUY THOSE!!!
    M: *Thinking: If it will shut you the hell up and get you out of my store, FINE.* *rings them up, takes his money*
    CM: *Proceeds to open the cigarettes to show me the paper* SEE THIS SAYS '04!!!! THESE ARE TWO YEARS OUT OF DATE!!!
    M: *Thinking: Actually, no. They're a year out of date, because tobacco has a one year shelf life, fifteen months if they're cold-storage* Okay, sir, but you didn't have to buy them.
    CM: YOUR BOSS IS INTENTIONALLY SELLING OUT OF DATE CIGARETTES!!!
    M: Sir, I don't think so I think it was just a mistake...
    CM: I'M GOING ACROSS THE STREET TO BUY A PACK OF CIGARETTES THAT ISN'T OUT OF DATE!!!
    M: *Thinking: THANK GOD!

Oh, but it doesn't end here. He went across the street and bought a pack of cigarettes, then CAME BACK to my store.

CM: YOU TELL YOUR BOSS THAT I KNOW HE IS INTENTIONALLY SELLING OUT OF DATE CIGARETTES AND IF I EVER COME IN HERE AGAIN AND GET OUT OF DATE CIGARETTES I WILL SUE HIS ASS OFF!!!!!
    M: Sir, it was probably just a mix up at our supplier, we sell enough Basic Light 100's that there's no way they would go out of date on our shelf.
    CM: NO THAT'S NOT IT!!!! HE IS SELLING THEM ON PURPOSE!!! I WILL SUE THE HELL OUT OF HIM!!!
    M: How about I give you his number and let you tell him that?
    CM: NO YOU WILL TELL HIM! I WILL SUE!!!! *goes out door still screaming* I WILL FUCKING SUE!!! I WILL SUE HIS ASS OFF!!! I WILL SUE!!!

I mean, holy tapdancing moses on buttered toast! This guy was insane. If he had come in and brought the pack of cigarettes from the night before and said "Hey, look, I bought this pack of cigarettes last night, and they tasted a little off, I think they're out of date" I would have checked the date and saw that they were, and given him either another pack (had I had any) or his money back. But no, instead he goes completely BATSHIT about it. He literally SCREAMED at me the entire time. And I'm sure he called and told my boss that I was SOOOO RUUUUUDE to him. Seriously, it WAS a mix up with our supplier, Basic Light 100's are one of our more popular varieties, there's NO WAY they stayed on our shelf long enough to go out of date. The '04 that was on the papers wasn't visible unless you opened the cigarettes and unfolded the paper. Apparently we sold five packs of them before anyone realized they were out of date, because after he went batshit I had four packs left on the shelf, which I immediately pulled.

I wanted to stab him with a plastic fork. Seriously, he gave me a headache.
    *~Seeress~*
    My MySpace
    Ours is not a lost generation...we know exactly where we are. We just have no idea how fast we're going!

Ummm . . . so I take it smoking *out of date* cigarettes is hazardous to his health or something?

Geez. As I always say, some people should not be wandering the streets alone or without a leash.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Sue for what, dare I ask?
      Oh, my Gods! Those cigarettes are out of date! There're laws against selling old cigarettes!
      Oh, wait, no there aren't.
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth seeress_83 View Post
        Seriously, this guy didn't have issues, he had subscriptions.

What did your boss have to say about the matter? Did CM go batshit on your boss too, or did you never see him again? (I hope the latter!)
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          What did your boss have to say about the matter? Did CM go batshit on your boss too, or did you never see him again? (I hope the latter!)
          Never saw him again...if he called and complained about me being rude, I never heard anything of it...then again, they apparently get a lot of calls like that. I'm not that rude, I just don't take shit from customers.
          *~Seeress~*
          My MySpace
          Ours is not a lost generation...we know exactly where we are. We just have no idea how fast we're going!

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
            There're laws against selling old cigarettes!
            Oh, wait, no there aren't.
            I don't know if there is or not, seems like that would fall under the same category as anything else that goes out of date.

Either way, my logic is this:

Smoking cigarettes will kill you.
            Smoking out-of-date cigarettes will...kill you?
            There's a difference where?
            *~Seeress~*
            My MySpace

Comment

Quoth seeress_83 View Post
              Smoking cigarettes will kill you.
              Smoking out-of-date cigarettes will...kill you?
              There's a difference where?
              Living kills you, too, but I don't see anything about *that*.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                Living kills you, too, but I don't see anything about *that*.
                Neither have I, but then I'm considered more harmful without a cigarette than with one.

Getting back to the OP . . . the customer's behavior is definitely SCish. I know from experience that old cigarettes taste funny, but still all he had to do was to go elsewhere and get them.

But that would have required common sense, and as we all know SC's don't possess it.

And as a side note: let's not let this get into a debate - if you want to debate, go to Fratching.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

So, he did buy the out of date cigarettes just to prove they're out of date . . . then went across the street to purchase another pack of (non expired) cigarettes to prooooove what now?
                  This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
                    So, he did buy the out of date cigarettes just to prove they're out of date . . . then went across the street to purchase another pack of (non expired) cigarettes to prooooove what now?
                    To prove hes an idiot who likes to waste money.
                    The customer is NEVER right! Unless they're nice...

Comment

Ok, why is it so difficult for some people these days to understand that if you're nice and pleasant with a clerk after something goes wrong, then chances are the clerk might be willing to work with you to rectify the situation. Unfortunately what has happened these days is managers tend to hate complaining and would rather kiss the rear ends of the complainers, especially since it usually means more sales for them.

I'm glad you don't take crap from customers. We need more people like you in the world.
                      Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

Basic sue

I always like to point out that the most basic way to sue someone without the use of lawyers will cost a min of $100 to file the papers. That money is NON-refundable.

Of-course, if you use a lawyer it will cost you more, but at-least your lawyer can tell you if the suite will be thrown out of court the moment it reaches a judge, thus saving you more time and money.

No-one in the heat of anger who has ever threaten to sue me have ever done so. I am sure some would have liked to because they think they could shut me up, but that little expense always stops them.

Judge Judy's show is classic, she throws out at-least 95% of the the claims for a law suite as soon as the claimant stop speaking.

Comment

Working...
                        X