This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth PepperElf View Post
    What really annoyed me was..... Watching people list items as "rare" and charging 2-3X their worth.
    They do that on plastic model kits as well. It's always annoying, to see *new* kits listed as "rare" or "vintage." What I find amusing, is to see about a dozen of those supposedly "rare" kits listed at the same time. Guess they're not so rare
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
      Yes. Making a personal copy for yourself is OK.
      Also known as Time Shifting. As in you wheren't home and taped the show.
      The other legally allowed "shift" in the US is format shifting, for example getting an (unencrypted) CD and ripping it to MP3 for use with your MP3 player is legal.

Then if the CD has drm or encryption, it becomes ilegal as it's in violation of the DMCA (circumventing protection measures), which does not allow for fair use or normal rights given in copyright.

BTW IANAL.

Quoth Dips View Post
      Yes. LOANING your personal copy to a friend who may want to see the show he missed is also OK.
      On the USA. New copyright laws in Australia for example make this practice illegal. You can invite your friend home to listen to music or watch a movie. But if you lend a CD or a movie to your friend you're commiting a crime.

Quoth Dips View Post
      But, no. Copying and distrubuting copyrighted works without the copyright owner's permission isn't OK. Even if you give it away.

I'm not going to argue whether that should or shouldn't be the case here, but that is the case.
      Rigtht very close to fratching material it's an interesting topic I might see if thetre's a thread open over there.
      I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

But if you lend a CD or a movie to your friend you're commiting a crime.
        so you can't just hand someone your purchased dvd and say "here watch this"?

wow. .... course... um, how do they enforce that?

Comment

1984. 1984.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
            But, no. Copying and distrubuting copyrighted works without the copyright owner's permission isn't OK. Even if you give it away.

I'm not going to argue whether that should or shouldn't be the case here, but that is the case.
            Thanks for the info.
            You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Purchased is legal, since the rights for that certain DVD were bought, and it's loaned.

If it was burned, then given away, THEN it's illegal in Australia...

Though I don't know how to enforce that, either.
              Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

A friend of mine had a weird issue with this...

He bought a legitimate copy of a movie on VCD while on vacation in Asia. Came back to the states and after a few months decided to sell it.

Even though it was an original movie that was perchased legally in another country, the auction was pulled and the studio demanded he send them the disc so it could be destroyed.

I really never understood why if it was legal in another country, no copy of it was made, and the original was being sold...it was illegal.

Comment

Quoth Namrepus221 View Post
                  He bought a legitimate copy of a movie on VCD while on vacation in Asia.

[cut]

...the auction was pulled and the studio demanded he send them the disc so it could be destroyed.
                  Um, are you completely sure it was a legit copy? Some countries have no copyright laws past their own borders, so you can get legitimate looking copies that are pure pirate. What country did your friend buy it in?
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
                    Yes. Making a personal copy for yourself is OK.

Yes. LOANING your personal copy to a friend who may want to see the show he missed is also OK.

Copying video period is not permitted... even if it's for "personal" use.
                    The DMCA is very clear on this. Fair Use doesn't cover this situation either.
                    When you read the FBI warning at the beginning of each video, it is clear that there is not to be any reproduction of the video for any reason.

Quoth Bliss View Post
                    Also known as Time Shifting. As in you wheren't home and taped the show.
                    The "Time shifting" amendment to the DMCA was created to allow for things like DVR/TiVo.
                    It does not grant anyone permission to retain that copy indefinitely. It also has nothing to do with DVD copying.

The DMCA allows for certain amendments to be added. These amendments are added and are only valid for a period of 3 years. Every 3 years they must be reviewed and if necessary, renewed.

I am not saying that I agree with it either, but the copyright laws of the U.S. do not allow for any backing up or copying (with the intent of indefinite storage) of copyrighted broadcast video/motion picture material of any kind.
                    The law is clear on this and like it or not, it is simply illegal to copy movies in the U.S.

For the laws regarding copyright in the U.S., you can check out the U.S. Copyright Office's web page here:

http://www.copyright.gov/
                    "It's not easy being evil in a world that's gone to Hell" ~ Anton LaVey

Comment

Quoth DevilBoy View Post
                      Copying video period is not permitted... even if it's for "personal" use.<snip>]
                      Right. But I wasn't talking about copying videos; I was answering a specific question about recording and copying TV shows.

Copyright law is a fascinating topic. There is a thread on Fratching where anyone who wishes to debate the issue or expand the discussion can go:

http://www.fratching.com/showthread.php?t=438
                      Last edited by Dips; 10-31-2008, 11:53 AM.
                      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                      X