This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten ways to kill your laptop?

Seems like windows 10 is one of them. I have been working with one Fujitsu for few days. And it drives me nuts when all old ways to reach for restore or safemode and so on does't work anymore.
    I do get to safemode, but otherwise this thing keeps trying to repair itself, tries to start and repairs again. So no windows.
    I got personal files saved and would like to do factory reset (there is three partions for it) but my eyes are already sore for reading google results... any ideas?

If you don't have a boot disc, try spamming F12 when the boot logo appears. Then 'Recovery and Utility', 'next' (may need the administrator password), 'Recovery', 'Restoring Factory Image'. That's what I was able to dig up. I hope it helps!
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Thanks, but looks like this battle is lost one. I did get to restore factory settings (in win 10 f-keys doesn't work) and start restoring. Now I'm in situation where windows was not able to install itself and needs restart. Fine, but it does not respond any key.

Wonder if linux would be an alternative?

Comment

F keys not working? Do they have alternate functions on that laptop? see if there's an "fn" key you can hold as a modifier.....

Comment

Eep. Even if you hit the f12 immediately on boot -- e.g. while it's still in POST? Odd. Well....

One alternative could be this: Grab a cheap Hard drive-to-USB adapter or case from amazon of wherever (even a shitty $5 one will do). Connect the drive to your working computer, and run a Full Format on it. You may be able to go into Disk Management and specifically target only the Windows partition. In which case, just delete that partition.

Then, put it back into your laptop and try to Recover again; it should be able to re-create the windows partition as it goes (or Linux).
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

You can try following these instructions :

How to fix Windows 10 start-up problems - Blacksc…: http://youtu.be/2f-GorXWkoc
            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

When I say F-keys does not work, I mean that Windows 10 has disabled them. (There is one for bios and another for boot but none others...) I do get along whith choosing between different choices like normal start vs repair (sorry, don't know true translations of them) so I end to possibility to start in safe mode. But that thing kept trying to repair itself with no luck. And also seems like cd-drive does not work. Great.

Young Web is been doing his tricks with it yesterday and spoke about downloading something to usb so we could try it. I have very little trust on that...

Next we shall try EricKei's trick. I have a hard disc reader somewhere on the bookshelf. But I also have 2 old hard discs from broken laptops. Wonder either of them would work in this situation?
              Last edited by Web_Pict; 10-09-2016, 07:17 AM. Reason: Forget bios

Comment

As long as the HDs themselves aren't messed up and are the same interface type, it's worth a shot. You'd need to dig up a ton of drivers, but it may be doable. Possible that the BIOS will reject anything not from an internal list of "what should be in there," but a HDD is generally the most easily-replaceable of all components.

Comment

If you just want to get files off it, stop trying to get Windows to boot. Boot into Linux instead, using a LiveCD on a flash drive. Have another external disk ready to copy the files to.

Once done, nuke and pave.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                    If you just want to get files off it, stop trying to get Windows to boot.
                    Well, I got files off it, in safemode. And had it not worked that way, I would have taken hdd out and connected to some pc with that thing (what is that thing when you plug hdd in something so you can connect it to pc with usb?).

Just that it's not mine laptop, but I'm going to tell the owner that she should think again saving this one and to get new one. Giving up with this now would save her some money to new laptop.

Comment

It's called a USB hard drive adapter; they usually work for both SATA and older IDE hard drives. They are infernally useful; I have two in my data-recovery kit, plus a dedicated 500 gb hard drive. Odds are good that if the hard drive still spins, I can get the data off of it.

Comment

I'm still working with this. I took hdd out and in that adapter thing so I could take a look if I can see anything abnormal there. It did not read. Nor made sound. I thought okay, now I can proclaim it dead. Still, when I put it back, it tries to start windows. No luck but eternal loop of repairing and restarting.
                        I give up.

Comment

Quoth Web_Pict View Post
                          I'm still working with this. I took hdd out and in that adapter thing so I could take a look if I can see anything abnormal there. It did not read. Nor made sound. I thought okay, now I can proclaim it dead. Still, when I put it back, it tries to start windows. No luck but eternal loop of repairing and restarting.
                          I give up.
                          Those USB adapter thingies are often finicky about the sequence in which they're connected together

Data connection to the drive FIRST. Power SECOND. Wait a few seconds and then make the connection to the USB port THIRD.

At the very least, you should hear it spin up. If not, or if it makes strange noises, STOP. Put the drive in a safe place away from static, extremes of temperature, or magnetic fields. Ideally, in a static bag in a sturdy carton or box. If there's important data on that drive, there are recovery services who can probably get to it for you, but the more you dink with it, the more likely it is that it may become unrecoverable.

Comment

If they don't have an external power-supply, your USB-Port might simply not deliver enough power for a Harddisk.

The easiest way to get around this is to you use a powered USB-Hub. (The kind that has Plug to your Computer and another to a power-supply plugged into the wall).

Another try: Connect the Harddisk to the USB-Port, wait around ten minutes, unplug it und plug it in again immediately after that.
                            Native German, so my writing might be a bit ... special. I try my best to get better

Comment

Working...
                            X