This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer doesn't recognize cell phone

I bought a BLU Life XL in the States last summer, because I wanted a phone with a dual SIM card. It's worked well, for the most part, until recently.

Over the last couple of days, the battery has run out quickly, even when I didn't have any apps running and wasn't making any calls. Today, when I saw that the battery had gone down from 99% to 70% in a few hours, I plugged it into my desktop to charge.

Well. It's charging, but the computer tells me it doesn't recognize the device. I've been looking for driver software to download, but I don't know which sites are legitimate, and which are not.

What caused this, and where do I find the driver? My OS is Windows 7, 32-bit.

Here's the manufacturer's product site for XL, from what I can tell. Amazon says BLU Products makes it, and this was the first (non-ad) result from a search on the name:

http://bluproducts.com/life-xl
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If it's an Android device, you might need to change the connection method on the phone to something the computer works with. Sometimes there's up to four different options to choose from.

Comment

on my phone (android based) under Settings/PC Connection I have 3 options

Charge only
        Media transfer
        Phone as Modem
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Media transfer should be the correct mode
          Perhaps check google for an Android sync app if it's not opening as a device in Win7

Comment

What I forgot to mention is, the computer has always recognized the phone before. I checked the types of connections, and the right type of connection has been chosen. I am currently rebooting the phone to see if that will work.

Comment

Did you recently update the Android OS? The newer Android OS requires you to make a selection on the phone to configure the USB software. The selection is on the pull down menu.

It nearly drove me crazy until I Googled it and found out about the change.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

1) If its charging OK the try a new cable, I've seen them fail like that (I presume one of the data connections goes).

2) For the battery, try running it down, charge overnight then repeat, often the battery is OK it's just that the charge indicator needs recalibrating
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

I turned it off, then on, and now it works.

Thanks for all your help!

I do need to have a heart-to-chip talk with this device.

Comment

Working...
                  X