This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop keeps shutting down

Any idea what could be wrong with my daughter's laptop?
    It's an Acer running Windows 10.
    It's about 2 years old.

It will suddenly just freeze. Can't use the mouse or anything.
    Then, the fan will kick in and run really loudly.
    I have to hold the power button down to shut it off and then turn it back on again.
    Sometimes, even holding the power button down, it seems to take several seconds to recognize it, and actually shut down.

It was happening only once in a while and very random, but now it's happening numerous times a day.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

See if it's still under warranty (should be a code on there somewhere) and go to Acer's site; you can look up warranty info there.

My first guess would be overheating. Was the computer trying to reboot Windows when the fanns went into overdrive? If the fans revved up for just a moment on startup but it didn't boot, I'd say to replace the CMOS battery (commonly a $3 watch battery on desktops, unsure about laptops)...Not really sure here, tho.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It happens no matter what I am doing on the computer. It's usually when I am browsing or typing on a website, but even when the laptop has sat idle and gone into sleep mode, I will hear the fan start to go crazy and when I try to bring it up, nothing happens, and I have to shut it down with the power button and then restart.
      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

As a temporary fix until more folks can chime in, I'd say to disable Sleep and Hibernate entirely. Go to Control Panel > Power Options and you should find the settings in there.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          I'd say to replace the CMOS battery (commonly a $3 watch battery on desktops, unsure about laptops).
          On my laptop (Thinkpad series) the CMOS battery is a manufacturer-specific item - looks like a CR2032 (battery that desktops use in a snap-in holder) with a cable soldered to it and heat-shrink around it.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

That's the battery type that most desktops use, as well -- they're just not soldered in/permanent fixtures.

Comment

Its still a simple button battery. It's just on the mobo and you have to crack the case open to get at it.

Comment

Working...
              X