This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday, all!!

servo_man, I don't think you could have asked for a better birthday present!

And welcome!

Mike
    Meow.........

Comment

Am I the only one that kind of feels sorry for her?

Sure, she was obnoxious and stupid and all the things we hate and she has no excuse for that, but to have wrecked her car engine, have it parked in a dangerous place, have to deal with a tow, to know that it will cost her a fortune, and to know that she has no-one else to blame - that is the most frustrating feeling in the world.
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth aqutalion View Post
        Just a silly question from a non-mechanic. What exactly does it do to your engine if you put in the wrong fuel?
        Diesel engines run on compression-ignition, while gasoline engines rely on spark ignition. A diesel has much higher compression than a gas engine, and ignites the fuel by pressure. Gasoline will compression ignite at much lower pressures than diesels run at, so it ignites too soon, causing a condition called preignition.When your car knocks going up a hill it is preigniting slightly. Gas in a diesel usually wont damage anything, although the engine wont run, but you have to drain the tank and clean out the fuel system, which is a lot of labor and pretty pricey. Diesel in gas engines is pretty bad. As the OP stated, she hydrolocked her engine. Diesel doesn't easily burn with spark or flame, and it doesn't atomize like gasoline does when shot through the injector, so when her pistons reached the top of the stroke, there was too much liquid in the chamber, and liquid does not compress, so it locked the engine up. This can bend internal parts like the rods and crankshaft, and blow out head gaskets among other things, in addition to the damage to the fuel system from running the wrong fluid through it. Hope this isn't too technical.
        I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
          Am I the only one that kind of feels sorry for her?

Sure, she was obnoxious and stupid and all the things we hate and she has no excuse for that, but to have wrecked her car engine, have it parked in a dangerous place, have to deal with a tow, to know that it will cost her a fortune, and to know that she has no-one else to blame - that is the most frustrating feeling in the world.
          She deserved it.

I would feel sorry for her if the "suck" hadn't entered the equation.
          I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Wow...what a moron. But I sort of feel bad for her..kinda.

Happy Birthday!!
            www.myspace.com/queenofevrything

Comment

I kinda sorta almost feel sorry for her, but really, it's an important life lesson.

If she was more aware of her surroundings and less rushed, this would never have happened. Being that unaware could get you killed. A car can be replaced, a life can't.

And, really, the only person responsible for the mess is the lady that has to live with it.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                If she was more aware of her surroundings and less rushed, this would never have happened. Being that unaware could get you killed. A car can be replaced, a life can't.
                In that sense, it was a cheap lesson. Compared to some of the other ways to learn it, anyway.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                  If she was more aware of her surroundings and less rushed, this would never have happened.
                  Precisely! Pay attention to what you're doing when you're doing it. And RTFD! If this SC had actually read the label on the pump, she would've known it was the wrong fuel for her vehicle.

I think a great many of society's problems would be solved if people would start taking responsibility for their own actions, which in turn would lead to them to paying attention to their surroundings and what they're doing!
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

ROFLMAO!!

I am literally having to pick myself up off the floor...I SO want that to happen where I work. I love telling people off for their own stupidity.

Happy Birthday, and welcome to the forum!
                    *~Seeress~*
                    My MySpace
                    Ours is not a lost generation...we know exactly where we are. We just have no idea how fast we're going!

Comment

& to the forum
                      Boogity, Boogity, Boogity Let's Go Racing Boys

Comment

Terrific first post! Welcome to the site & please keep the stories coming!
                        "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                        ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

In all my years as a pump jockey I've only seen 1 car pull up to a diesel pump (maybe the average customer was smarter. Maybe it was just my shift ) When the guy came in to pay, I asked him if his engine was diesel (older car, entirely possible). He said it was, and he thanked me for politely asking.

I guess since he was an older Hispanic gentleman driving an old car, most people assumed he was an illiterate bum and "informed" him he'd have to move to another pump. For the record, there was nothing in his manner, dress, or car to suggest that.

(On the flip side, we were 3 blocks from a subsidized housing complex that was split fairly evenly between those who needed assistance for whatever legitimate reason, and those milking the system. sadly, stereotypes start somewhere, and often don't go away.)
                          Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

thanks folks..nice to be welcomed...

in my line of work, the idiot factor is astounding - not a single day goes by where i don't look out my window, or look out across my store and say to myself "wtf......?".

unfortunately i am a busy man(i'm not quite sure what i do, but i never seem to have any time to do anything...) so i will try to post as much as i can....i have more then enough to post...

back soon...

Comment

Welcome! Joyous natal day!

*chuckle* I have a vw jetta TDI. I can't tell you how many people have tried to "help" me by telling me I'll ruin my car at the diesel pump - maybe because I'm female. "Thank you, no. It runs on diesel, 46 miles to the gallon on average. Thanks."

women like her make it more difficult for women that don't make mistakes like that.
                              Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

i dont feel sorry for her at all.
                                She almost not only got herself killed (if she hadn't been filling up and just toping off, she would have gotten farther) but others as well. And because she didnt go inquire when the pump first cut off the first couple times, or because she figured because it did she deserved free gas, she got her self angry. And because she didnt wait for them to figure out why, she did/almost got arrested.

(something funny, instead of arrested at first i typed married....)

Comment

Working...
                                X