This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hints we are closed

1: The protective cover has been pulled down over the fridge.
    2: The door is closed and locked.
    3: The keyholder is standing by the door, jingling said keys.
    4: The staff are staring at you with indescribable loathing.
    5: You are being asked if you need any help every five minutes.
    6: People are trying the door and being turned away.
    7: Staff members partners are standing by the door, playing with their games consoles.
    8: You've been told.
    9: Staff members are saying things like 'I'll be really glad to GO HOME' with pointed emphasis.
    10: You are told again.
    Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

I'm so glad I don't work in any convenience stores anymore, I hated that so much. My husband is a waiter, and he gets the restaurant version of those people. The ones who come in 5 minutes til close and want THE WHOLE MENU.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Hurts, doesn't it?

Comment

we get that ALL the time at the pizza place I work at. after moving to the new store after the beginning of the year we extended our open hours by one hour to midnight.

why is it that at 11:55pm on a weeknight 5 people feel the need to order pizza. by this time we have all of the work and cleaning done and are basically ready to do what little dishes are left and get the heck out of there. BUT NO you have to wait until (after being TOTALLY dead for 2 hours) 5 minutes to close to have your pizza and I KNOW you will stiff me (happened tooooo many times for me to be wrong) on the delivery and the higher ups will complain that our labor is TOOOO FRIGGIN high. DAMN I am realy tired of stoney rushes that late in the day on a WEEKDAY night
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
        1: The protective cover has been pulled down over the fridge.
        2: The door is closed and locked.
        3: The keyholder is standing by the door, jingling said keys.
        4: The staff are staring at you with indescribable loathing.
        5: You are being asked if you need any help every five minutes.
        6: People are trying the door and being turned away.
        7: Staff members partners are standing by the door, playing with their games consoles.
        8: You've been told.
        9: Staff members are saying things like 'I'll be really glad to GO HOME' with pointed emphasis.
        10: You are told again.
        And continuing the list...

11. The electrically-lit OPEN sign is turned OFF!
        12. The OPEN/CLOSED shingle in the window has been flipped to display CLOSED!
        13. It's AFTER the closing time stated on the Store Hours posted in the window!

Why is it so hard for the customers to understand these things? It's not like it's ROCKET SCIENCE!
        Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 09-25-2007, 09:46 PM.
        "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
        --StanFlouride

Comment

14 The lights don't seem to work anymore.

I remember a guy who walked in just as several of us were walking out and as he dissapered into the darkness we heard, "Something wrong with you lights?"
          "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

15. Some mysterious voice comes blaring over the PA saying "The store is closed!" or some such thing.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Dark Psion View Post
              14 The lights don't seem to work anymore.

I remember a guy who walked in just as several of us were walking out and as he dissapered into the darkness we heard, "Something wrong with you lights?"
              I can't believe I totally forgot about that one!

But here's another:

16. If I've just walked out of the store, with my hat (& possibly coat) on, locked the door behind me, and am now walking away from the store!

Yes, I've had people approach me on the sidewalk 2 stores away from my store, as I'm walking to my car, to confront me about the fact that I was leaving "too early"!

"Sorry, pal, but MY watch says 8 O'clock (or whatever my actual closing time is on that day) and that's what time I go by, not by YOUR inaccurately set sucky customer watch! I'm on my time now, my work day is over! There's this wonderful new invention, latest 21st century gadget, maybe you've heard of it? It's called a TELEPHONE! Next time, call the store before you leave your house (or work) to see how late we're open! See ya!"

"Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
              --StanFlouride

Comment

17. Employees are wheeling large library carts of books to various spots around the store (for the next morning's shelvers).

18. (In Store1) The gate between Starbucks and B&N is closed.

19. You are the ONLY fg customer left in the store!
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Some people do this on purpose, I bet, because they get a big power trip on how the store is staying open just for them. I think when closing time comes you should tell them you're closing, then when they don't leave, just turn out the lights and lock the doors. That'll show them.
                  It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                  -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

When I worked the closing shift at a mini-mart eons ago, we had this problem all of time. It always seemed that the fact that the store was closed wasn't enough. The idiots had a problem with the concept of closed. The store also had a gas station, so the doors were still unlocked for about a half an hour after closing so that the pump guys could come in and out to do their closing tasks.
                    "I want a six-pack of Bud"
                    "Sorry, you cannot buy beer."
                    "Why not?"
                    "We're closed."
                    "Okay, but why can't I buy any beer?"
                    "We Are Closed"
                    "Okay, can I get a pack of Marlboro Reds instead"
                    I mean the entire concept was too much for this guy.

Of course he wasn't as bad as the guy who came in when all of the lights (inside and out) were off while I was in the office and the pump guy was in the bathroom and started to nuke a burrito.

Comment

Quoth mariamousie1 View Post
                      then when they don't leave, just turn out the lights and lock the doors. That'll show them.
                      I was a manager in a gym that was open 24 / _6_. Had been closing on Saturdays at 8 p.m. for several years when I started and this occurred several years after that. For security reasons the doors to the street worked normally, but the inner door (across a small vestibule/foyer) locked on closing and you had to be buzzed in by someone at the front desk during the week nights.

On Saturday the routine was to engage that inner door's lock and "sweep" the building top to bottom. Customers could exit, but couldn't get back in. I SWEAR I searched everywhere. This includes the women's locker rooms, showers, change area, and ESPECIALLY the sauna. Why "especially?" Because this mellowed out older hippy woman made it a regular habit to stay late EVERY frickin' Saturday taking a steam by herself. I would go in shouting loudly week after week (NO, you DIDN'T want to "catch" this woman disrobed ) that it was closing time. Every week she would drag her sorry ass to the front doors with me on her heels to lock the outer doors behind her.

So this Saturday like I said, I swear I searched everywhere. No hippy. Yahoo! Early out. And out I went.

At TEN o'clock the police call my house. I'm third on the emergency response list and the owners are 120 miles away. Hippy woman WAS in the building. She walked through the inner door, got to the outer doors, found them locked, and then (no doubt) heard the SNICK of the inner door locking behind her. She is now trapped in a little glass cage about ten by ten.

I don't know to this day if she was down in the sauna for all that time or if it took her two hours to talk some poor schmuck ambling past the gym's front doors into calling the police but in my little heart of hearts, I hope it was the latter. I know that's always how I think of it whenever someone dawdles toward the door to this day.
                      Last edited by sms001; 09-25-2007, 11:35 PM. Reason: Paragraphs are my friends

Comment

18) The shades are drawn down
                        19) The doors are locked
                        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I HATE holidays at the Grocery store. Despite announcements, most of the lights turned off, and the employees standing out front waiting to go home SC still can't figure out why. I;t Christmas EVE we want to go home but can't because you need "just one more item".

Comment

I absolutely love the people who drive up to the bank 10 minutes after we close and wonder why the lights are off and nobody is inside the bank. One time I was staying a couple of minutes late to help a super nice customer (whose transaction started before the actual closing time) when this other dude pulled up behind him (a few minutes after closing time). The lights on the outside of the drive-up are off, the lights inside the building are off, and the closed sign is already in the window. I wrap up with the customer in front of me, and this guy pulls up and starts yelling about how we're closed and how his transaction is only going to take five seconds. My supervisor got on the speaker with him and told him that he should have been here 20 minutes ago when we were still open and able to help him and to not show up 10 minutes after closing and expect to be waited on. If he was nice about it, that would have been one thing, but he was nasty and rude about it. Nasty and rude wins no points at my bank. We do not give in to people like that at all and we have ways of notifying all of the other branches about your antics so they won't give in to you either.

We also have a lot of customers who abuse the system, as it were. If we let this guy be waited on after closing one time, especially after being rude and nasty, he'd continue to do it in the future.
                            Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

Fixed!

Quoth powerboy View Post
                              20) The shades are drawn down
                              2) The doors are locked
                              There, I fixed your numbering.

I WISH I had shades to draw down, or at least a metal security gate! Maybe THEN the customers *might* get the hint that the store is CLOSED... but somehow, I doubt it.

Luckily, the good thing about working in a mattress store is that I *usually* get to leave right at the stated closing time, since I haven't really had any last-minute customers at the current job. But I also don't give them any opportunities to play that game. I lock the door and flip the OPEN/CLOSED sign to CLOSED anywhere from 5-10 minutes before the stated closing time, because there's NO WAY you can buy a mattress in only 5-10 mins. I then do what little closing paperwork I have to do (our closing process is really fast, because the paperwork is really streamlined and simple, just the way I like it) and then I get the frak out of Dodge! So, if somebody rolls up at, say, 8:05 (we close at 8 PM Mon.-Sat.), well, they're SOL!
                              --StanFlouride

Comment

Working...
                              X