Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wherein Irv nearly commits seppuku (Very very long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein Irv nearly commits seppuku (Very very long)

I swear, the workers at the Humanity Factory must have had one hell of a pisser this weekend, because the folks they're sending out into my store are unusually stupid and rude. Or maybe it was because the Packers lost again. Either way, let's just get on with it:

BOGO Banality

We're running a Buy One Get One sale through Wednesday (Or is it Friday? I dunno). Anyhoo, it's more or less a stopgap sale until we hit our Super Uber Mega Stupendous Tremendous Lowest Prices of the Season Sale at the end of the week. It happens that in this sale, you must buy one item at regular price to get the second one free; you can't buy one item at half price. This becomes important later.

First customer of the day, and I overheard the whole thing as I was getting my printer and labels. She bought some stuff one the BOGO sale and the cashier was ringing her up:

Customer: Why did I get charged for two items? Isn't it buy one get one free?
    Cashier: It is. The second one came off.
    Customer: No, it didn't. I see I got charged twice for these dishes.
    Cashier: (points to screen by her register) The second one came off. There's three of those dishes listed there, but one has a minus sign next to it. That means the second one came off. Those two cancel each other out. I can assure you you've only been charged for one item.
    Customer: No, you charged me twice!
    Cashier:

Eventually it got ironed out and the customer was finally convinced she hadn't been double-charged. As the customer left, her daughter, who had come along along with her, seemed to be about 6 or 7 years old, and catching on to the BOGO concept faster than her mom, said to her "Mommy, you're embarrassing me!"

Dear All Of My Coworkers:

You know your signs? All your signholders and backers and clips and such? They go in the sign storage unit in the backroom. Not in my furniture backstock, where they have been residing for upwards of a YEAR.

Because it is the busy season for furniture and we have new pieces arriving on almost every truck lately, I took it upon myself to clean up all your crap and get it to the sign storage unit or the fixture room, where it belongs. So from now on, your backers and signholders and clips go in those places.

I have also made signs, which I put up on the furniture shelves. They read:
    Furniture Only
    No signing, signholders, or fixtures in this area please.

And I had better not hear any complaining about your stuff being moved and being kept neat for a change. And so help me Dog, if I hear any of you whine "Where am I supposed to put all my stuff?" I'm answering "Bend over."

One more thing--why do we even have sign clips anymore? You never use the damn things even though you're supposed to. You just tape the signs to the shelves, which you're not supposed to do because the tape gunks up the shelves and makes them look all groaty. Or you just fold the signs along the crease and slip them into the shelf lip so they fall down whenever somebody's filling or straightening. Fun. Not.

Blah Blah Blah Bling Bling Bling Blah

While heading back to the back room, I got flagged down by somebody who yelled at me "Hey! You!"

Who, me?

Yeah, me.

The purpose of this exchange was so that some dipshit could rant at me about how we had Christmas stuff out too early, and we were causing people to buy things they don't need, and we kick puppies and eat starving orphan children, and how the economy and the country's going to hell if we elect John McCain as President. Or Barack Obama. Or Splotch The Wonder Seagull. How the fuck should I know? I just zoned out for a while and let this idiot vent her spleen until I pretended that an urgent pull got downloaded into my scanner and I had to beat feet to the backroom and do it.

Bonus BOGO Banality

Got to dinner time and went to purchase my 20-oz bottle of Diet Dr. Pepper and candy bar for break, and ended up behind this assbag who had a bunch of socks on the BOGO sale.

Customer: YOU DOUBLE-CHARGED ME!

Cashier: (points to screen behind her register) No, we only charged you for one. The second one came off. The minus sign on the screen indicates the second one was subtracted off your total.
    Customer: No you didn't! I still see two bags of socks there! You're a rip off! I'm telling the Attorney General!

Enter the Front End Supervisor, who has already dealt with a couple of these morons the past couple of days:

FES: Actually, the second one was taken off. You gotta watch for the minus signs on the screen. That indicates you won't be charged for the second item.

Does this convince the moron that she has, in fact, been charged correctly for her socks? Hell no! She kept arguing the point for 5 minutes, while I'm waiting to be checked out. Fortunately the service desk person waved me up to check out so I could get upstairs at a reasonable time and avoid taking out my work knife and turning the assbag into Ms. Potato Head And Her Assorted Pieces N' Parts, by Playskool!

But the assbag got the cashier so flustered she had to do a total void of her items and start from the beginning.

Gift Registry Clusterfuckery

And then after lunch I got summoned for help by a customer carrying the Green-Backed Piece of Paper of Maximum Doom, because that means it came from our gift registry which is PITA for the following reasons:
    • Items on the printout are not grouped by department; they're just thrown together in a long list
    • SKUs for each item are not given, just UPCs which have to be typed into the scanner because there are no UPCs to scan for each item
    • Also, the descriptions of the items are vague and over-abbreviated, such as for example "BRWN PFFFWWW BFFFRRDDD TAGGRTH"

The customer was clearly perturbed from the start, and I can't say I blame her. She told me she'd been in the store for an hour looking for things on this registry. I accompanied her around the store, typing in UPCs to get SKUs, and then trying to locate the items. After doing this about five times, the customer huffed at me "I'm done. Forget it."

Always happy to help I really need to more vigilant for those damn pieces of paper, so I can run the other way.

And right after that...

I got flagged down by a couple old cheapskates? How did I know they were cheap? Because they made me their personal shopper for about 20 minutes, had me scan all sorts of items, and then after I told them the prices said to me "That's too expensive! We're on a fixed income here!"

Yeah, me too. What's your point Grampy Grumpy McGrouchenstein?

They had me carry a big bulky feather bed topper around the store as they kept looking at other items and commenting on how expensive they were. Then they finally had me check the price of the bed topper.

"Okay...it is $52.99." (Which is a pretty good price for a featherbed. It was on clearance anyway."

"Oh I don't want to pay that much. Put it back!"

Seriously, I don't think they bought a damn thing. Just kept wandering around and complaining that everything was so expensive.

Son Of Bonus BOGO Banality (AKA The Big Finish)

My last customer of the day was over in plastics. She asked me where some specific storage totes were that were on BOGO, and so I showed her where they were.

"Great! I want three of them. Will I get charged for the one on the buy one get one sale and the third one at half price?"

"Actually ma'am, this time you need to buy one at regular price to get the second free. If you buy a third, it would be regular price as well."

"Well that's a crock of bullshit! You always let people buy one item at half price in these kinds of sales! Why not this time"

Because I hate you. In fact, had you engaged your eyes and your brain before opening up your festering gob, you would have noticed the print on the sign reading "Must buy one at regular price to get the second free."

I dunno, I guess somebody up there must've decided we weren't getting our fair share or cranks, crabs, curmudgeons and cuntmuffins so they all descended upon us today. At least I have tomorrow off and vacation this weekend.

So in summation: Cookies, now. And booze. Lots and lots of booze.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Wow.

You made me feel much better about the shitty day Im having....

Sorry you had to endure all this stuff for real, but its very comical as it plays inside my head...

Comment

Irv, there is one thing that you should be greatful for, at least there are no naked people involved...

serioulsy, I halfway expect to find a naked person in the hot tub at least once a week (though I may not realize they are naked if the jets are on... that's a kind of scary thought... agh )

oh yeah, back on topic, Irv, how long do you really think it will take before people start dumping their stuff in furniture again... we all know how well signs work
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post

oh yeah, back on topic, Irv, how long do you really think it will take before people start dumping their stuff in furniture again... we all know how well signs work
        I will be surprised if there isn't stuff back in there after the next big ad set, which would be whenever they set the Lowest Prices of the Season ad either Thursday or Friday morning.

I also bet somebody complains about the signs and gets them taken down.

Comment

Well unfortunately I'm still 8 months away till I can legally drink liquid comfort. So cookies it is!!

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
            If it was my store, about five hours. Tops. My co-workers wait until I'm done with my work (which involves fixing their screw-ups), then they decide to pretend to do their work (which involves creating more of the same screw-ups for me to fix later).

And, Irv, I know your BOGO pains. Our store doesn't run BOGO sales often, but we have various package deals. Stuff like $50 off if you buy camera, case, and memory card. Our registers don't process the package discounts during the transaction; they wait for the cashier to hit the total button. We get customers who panic about that, too.

SC: Why is this so expensive?! The tag said it was on sale for a lot less than this!
            Cashier: It's because the discounts haven't been applied yet. The price will come down once I get everything scanned.
            SC: But they're not scanning at the sale price! Are you sure you're doing it right? Did I get the wrong stuff?
            Cashier: I know. The discounts will show up when I hit "Total."
            SC: But it's wrong!
            Cashier: Okay. There's your total.
            SC: Oh. That looks a lot better! (awkward chuckle)
            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
            - IPF

Comment

That second BOGO, twerp: I woner if she was trying to get the cashier flustered so that she would make a mistake and the SC could get something for free. That old couple I wouldn't have lasted have as long as you did with them. And as for that last woman, you are getting two for the price of one! what more do you want you cheap twerp! <sends assorted booze to Irv>

Comment

Maybe beside the Furniture Only sign, you could hang the "signholders and backers and clips and such" with little nooses around their little parts and post an arrow saying Do it or this could be YOU.
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                  Maybe beside the Furniture Only sign, you could hang the "signholders and backers and clips and such" with little nooses around their little parts and post an arrow saying Do it or this could be YOU.
                  I like how you think, but management has already talked to me about my...ahem...attitude, and I don't think they would like it if I were making death threats about my co-irkers, much as they deserve a little fear put into them sometimes.

One of today's fuckstrations I didn't mention because I've complained about it so many times before is people not backstocking stuff correctly. I found a recliner chair thrown on the ground instead of in its location a couple steps away. Last week the morning people spent all day reorganizing housewares backstock, keeping like items together and putting up signs indicating what should go in a particular section (small appliances, dishes, glassware, plastics, cookware, laundry, etc) and it's all jacked up again.

I think I'm going to have to make more signs and plaster the backroom with them. They will be insulting simple to comprehend, like "Pillows Go Here," "Condoms Go Here," "Toy Dolls Go Here," and so on.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    her daughter, who had come along along with her, seemed to be about 6 or 7 years old, and catching on to the BOGO concept faster than her mom, said to her "Mommy, you're embarrassing me!"
                    Must be adopted.

Comment

I'm taking a swig, just for you!!! *glug glug glug*

Thatsh, betta...I, I love you Irv...I reaaaaaaaallllllly, really do. *burp* *giggle*
                      Check out my cosplay social group!
                      http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

I also bet somebody complains about the signs and gets them taken down.
                        And then stores them in the furniture backstock.

Comment

"BRWN PFFFWWW BFFFRRDDD TAGGRTH"
                          Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn?

Anyway, abbreviation on labels always cracks me up at work. It's hard to explain to someone that I'm laughing 'cause a tag says "ass. fragrance" or "large woody" or one time "plmr fragrance" which I read as "plumber fragrance".
                          wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
                          ----
                          Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

Comment

poor irv, he is sad
                            the blade is the only chance
                            seppuku for peace

Comment

I like how you think, but management has already talked to me about my...ahem...attitude, and I don't think they would like it if I were making death threats about my co-irkers, much as they deserve a little fear put into them sometimes.

I think I'm going to have to make more signs and plaster the backroom with them. They will be insulting simple to comprehend, like "Pillows Go Here," "Condoms Go Here," "Toy Dolls Go Here," and so on.
                              Here's what I used to do. All the extra "crap" that got dumped haphazardly in my storage areas got thrown away. Extra signs, fact-tag holders, things like that which ended up in the wrong areas got tossed.

If someone asked me if I had seen the stuff "they knew was stuck inbetween the scanner boxes and the parts bin overstock" my answer was "nope!" and they had to re-print, or re-order the stuff they needed.

Being the assistant mgr of a store that had a tiny back room where everything had its place rocked! Eventually all the other employees learned to keep things stored in the right place. It sure kept the manager happy, too.... he hated back-room clutter!

-Wembley
                              Originally Posted by edible_hat
                              (also, wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?)

Comment

Working...
                              X