This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two frightening things to consider in the modern computer world

first one is about FaceBook and how 3d party apps are Leaking even private data
    http://www.switched.com/2010/10/18/a..._lnk1%7C178643

the 2d one is scarier esp with all of the mobile or wireless type devices that now surround us like in cars and medical devices. we all should know by now about the webcam one

http://www.aolnews.com/tech/article/..._lnk2%7C178643

the one they did leave out was all of the electronic/wireless stuff on an airplane.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

seems a bit sensational to me

popular apps on Facebook were handing over your data to third parties,
    I don't play facebook games, but I'm sure you agree to this in the TOS or you don't get to play.

Once a company has your user ID, anything public on your page
    Anything public is public. If you don't want it to be public, make it private.

Click the "edit settings" button next to "info accessible through your friends." After the shock of seeing all those checked off boxes subsides, uncheck all of them.
    The only thing checked on my facebook (i just checked, and havent altered my profile settings since i set it to private... over a year ago) is "current city" and "places I check into."

I dont "Check in" anywhere and my current city isn't exactly private info.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I stay well away from social networking sites. As far as I'm concerned, they're just trouble waiting to happen.

Electronic and wireless things on a plane aren't as much of a problem as you might expect: stuff on a battery is by definition not going to make much "noise", and devices sold in civilised countries is subject to extensive testing and certification to avoid interference in the first place. The main remaining concern is that a malfunctioning device could cause false readings in navigation equipment, and this has been noticed a few times - and that is why you are still asked to turn things off during takeoff and landing, which is when navigation faults can be serious problems.

Comment

They mention cars and their computer units, but those require a hardwire connection, so while it is possible to do it would be nigh on impossible (without the addition of extra hardware) to do remotely.
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
          They mention cars and their computer units, but those require a hardwire connection, so while it is possible to do it would be nigh on impossible (without the addition of extra hardware) to do remotely.
          no necessarily. there have been recent commercials for GM cars about a smart phone app that gives you details about your car, lets you remote start it, check fluids levels, tire pressure, lock/unlock doors, remote start,etc. either wireless or desktop.

and do not forget OnStar. the cars have some sort of wireless or cellphone type device so OnStar can access your car or be notified of a problem or accident or to communicate with the driver for directions, help, etc.

see this link for details
          http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/10/07...o.beyond.volt/

or

http://wot.motortrend.com/6671183/te...nes/index.html

If some hacker can figure out the encryption and the protocol who knows what they can do
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
            no necessarily. there have been recent commercials for GM cars about a smart phone app that gives you details about your car, lets you remote start it, check fluids levels, tire pressure, lock/unlock doors, remote start,etc. either wireless or desktop.

<snippage>

If some hacker can figure out the encryption and the protocol who knows what they can do
            Well that's just crazy, for exactly the reason that you've pointed out! I'm not aware of any car that's made it across the pond which has those features yet...
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Working...
            X