Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm starting to see a LOT of incorrect spelling and grammar sneaking into print ads in major newspapers and the like. Meanwhile, in the email I get from City Chic they had a picture of their new season "Crotchet jumper". Sigh.
    Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
    It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Quoth rapana1 View Post
      I'm starting to see a LOT of incorrect spelling and grammar sneaking into print ads in major newspapers and the like. Meanwhile, in the email I get from City Chic they had a picture of their new season "Crotchet jumper". Sigh.
      I'd quaver at the sight of that. Then again, I probably wouldn't spare it more than a minim's glance, so perhaps it wouldn't be so bad.
      "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
        As I said, not sure which is totally proper (or if American English has different rules than the Queen's English)
        When I wrote professionally for a US publisher, I had to use the Chicago Book of Style. Which differs from what I was taught (Oxford style). I can verify that American and British English have different grammatical rules as well as different spellings.

However, the differences are only enough to make them two dialects of a common language; not two entirely different languages. We should be able to understand each other.

I'm not sure I'd be able to breve* after laughing at that.

* Note for those without music history in their background: many ancient pieces used minims or even semibreves and breves as their base count (we use crotchets or quavers). In modern times, if we want an 8-crotchet note, we use two semibreves - one per bar, slurred. In ancient times, they often had 8-crotchet bars, so they'd use a breve. A breve is drawn as two semibereves, overlapping.

* Note 2: puns aren't as funny if you have to explain them.
        Last edited by Seshat; 03-10-2013, 06:52 AM.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          * Note 2: puns aren't as funny if you have to explain them.
          Well, we can go all MJ and just "Beat It" out.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

In my experience, breves are written as a semibreve flanked by pairs of vertical lines. And a "slur" that joins two notes of the same pitch is called a tie - so the two semibreves would be tied together to become equivalent to a breve.

Bizarrely enough, a lot of recent successful musicians are unable to read musical notation. They use modern "pattern" software instead, or play by ear, or just make it up as they go along.

Comment

Even worse are the ones still under the mistaken impression that English is based on Latin. Therefor; one should never end a sentence with a preposition, like those nasty Germanic languages.

Comment

Misspelling bugs me mostly when it's clear that someone used the spell-checker and just took whatever the "first" option was.

Use of "loose" when "lose" was intended (or vice-versa) drives me to take big, ragged bites out of whatever I'm reading.

For some reason, a lot of folks seem to think that "trailer" is spelled "trailor", and this was a popular mistake even before texting made it possible for such mistakes to happen so often, some people thought that the correct spelling was wrong....
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I wish I could play be ear. That would be an amazing skill.

Also there are (much fewer) differences between Scottish English and RP English. None of which I can remember at the minute so y'all just have to take my word for it.

Comment

Quoth bunnyboy View Post
                    Even worse are the ones still under the mistaken impression that English is based on Latin. Therefor; one should never end a sentence with a preposition, like those nasty Germanic languages.
                    Ah yes, the joys of prescriptive grammar vs descriptive grammar. The first grammarians were Latin trained monks, so they prescribed Latin grammar rules, since an infinitive in Latin is just one word, conservative English grammar still forbids the split infinitive.
                    Modern linguistic grammar theory is mostly descriptive, they watch how people write and speak (there is a huge difference between written and spoken language), next to nothing of this has reached school grammar, which is highly prescriptive. Non-linguistist see language as static and not really changing, which of course is wrong.
                    My own personal pet peeve with German is the spelling reform we had lately. How we spell things is by agreement and not some natural law... aaaaarrrrglll... I better stop ranting....
                    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                      Some colloquialisms are different. Slang's different. A rubber to a Brit means an eraser, to me it means a condom.
                      Well, both of them are used for rubbing, one way or the other...

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      * Note for those without music history in their background: many ancient pieces used minims or even semibreves and breves as their base count (we use crotchets or quavers). In modern times, if we want an 8-crotchet note, we use two semibreves - one per bar, slurred. In ancient times, they often had 8-crotchet bars, so they'd use a breve. A breve is drawn as two semibereves, overlapping.
                      For Americans:
                      semibreve = whole note = 𝅝
                      minim = half note = 𝅗𝅥 (no idea what font contains those. I don't have one here either.)
                      crotchet = quarter note = ♩
                      quaver = eighth note = ♪
                      demiquaver = sixteenth note = ♬

We didn't learn about breves and longas when I was taking lessons, oh, thirty-odd years ago. A whole note was as far as we ever got.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                        For Americans:
                        semibreve = whole note = 𝅝
                        minim = half note = 𝅗𝅥 (no idea what font contains those. I don't have one here either.)
                        whole note = °
                        half note = ♭

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                          So, he thought that it should have read "Library staffs"?

If so, Well, sure, if you'd been issued customer-beating sticks of wood, then yes, that would be correct.
                          Nope. That would be "staves".

On my ships we've had people play "grammar police" on some of the signs. Normally it's fine because the signs were usually wrong.* However once in a while the grammar-police actually got it wrong and tried correcting an accurate sign. IIRC the one time I saw it happen someone corrected the "fix" and left a note on the sign about it as well.

* seriously those were some pretty interesting failures. My favorites were a misspelled professionally printed copy of the Sailor's Creed and a misspelled sign advertising education opportunities.

Comment

Just got a flyer from National Demonic Branded Pizza co.
                            It was entitled "Offering's".
                            Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
                            It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Quoth bunnyboy View Post
                              Like the classic example:

"What did you bring that book I didn't want to be read to out of up for?"

(Count the prepositions!)
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post

Use of "loose" when "lose" was intended (or vice-versa) drives me to take big, ragged bites out of whatever I'm reading.
                                That irritates me as well.
                                Others that I seem to frequently see are:
                                Affect and Effect being used in place of each other
                                Insure & Ensure
                                They're, there and their.
                                and of course your and you're

Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

I'd use it at a signature but it would be rather ironic as I know that my grammar is poor at the best of times
                                Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

Working...
                                X