Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once got locked out of my flat: the front door had the chain on, and the back door, which was a patio-style door, had jammed and would not open. Since I rent all maintenance goes through the estate agent (well it's supposed to (glares at washing machine)) and they sent out a locksmith who got to me within an hour. He unjammed the door, and after he told me he was the one who oversaw the installation of the doors, showed me how the open-wide-and-it-fastens-open mechanism worked, and WD40'd the lock.

The cost for it came from the landlord, but since he was the first of only two maintenance call-outs we've had to initiate in nearly four years (!!) of living here (the other one to repair a heated towel rack that was wobbling its way off the wall) I don't think they mind too much. ^^ If I had to pay for it myself, I think I still would have done it; I wanted to get inside and I wanted to fix my door!
    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
      Just like me and unbreakable. If it's labeled as unbreakable, I take it as a challenge. Sadly I rarely have to do anything to break something.
      This made me think of this.

SC
      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Call the locksmith!
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
          GTFO of here and find a payphone!
          What's a pay phone?

I spent two summers with my grandparents back when I was a teenager, so I could get a summer job. My parents live out in the middle of nowhere, so finding a job near home wasn't really possible. During one of my days off, I locked myself out of my grandparents' house. They both still worked, so they wouldn't be home for hours. They usually left their garage unlocked, but that was as far as I could get.

As luck would have it, they were getting some work done on their house, and someone had left their toolbox on the back porch. I forget exactly how I did it, but I was able to use a screwdriver to get the kitchen window open. It was kind of a tight squeeze, and I had to climb over the sink to get in, but I made it. I was somewhat proud of myself.

When my grandma got home, I told her what happened and how I managed to get back in. She just looked at me and asked, "Why didn't you just use the key that was in the milk box?"

Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth aulocksmith View Post
            Lock picks or a pick gun (which makes it SOOOO much easier).

No need to take the lock apart at all, usually.
            OOO. I'll have to look up a "pick gun" to see what that is.

And you're right the wait wasn't that long. I was just cold… especially since I'd taken my coat off and wrapped it around the dog. Although my BF kinda laughed at that cos dog was probably better equipped for the chill than I was.

Although personally I don't entirely trust biometric locks. Mainly because … well if someone cuts off my thumb and keeps it warm wouldn't it still activate the lock?

Or that stuff I saw on myth busters where they made a xerox copy of the thumbprint. I'm not sure how realistic their attempts were though.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
              ... "Why didn't you just use the key that was in the milk box?"

I'm so busy being smart and you expect me to have brains, too?
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

Although personally I don't entirely trust biometric locks. Mainly because … well if someone cuts off my thumb and keeps it warm wouldn't it still activate the lock?
                Most of those "Oh just kill the person and then take X body part needed" ploys don't actually work.

Current technology for biometric locks have programs and additional safeties install that check multiple factors to see if the thing being used is actually alive.

So in case of your thumb, the biometric lock would not only check for heat, but also probably a pulse.
                My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

The $1,000+ readers that check temperature, multiband spectroscopy, and pulse oximetry wouldn't.
                  The < $10 readers on computers, USB sticks & knob jobs?

Pull the other one, it's got balls on it.

Comment

This is why I pay the $35 a YEAR for Triple A Plus...the Plus service is definitely worth the extra $8 a year. Just under $3 a month, and they've been lifesavers for me on multiple occasions. Just ONE 3+ mile tow, car door unlock or other service they provide MORE than pays for itself.

Very nearly out of gas an hour from my house and realized I didn't have my debit OR gas card on me? Triple A.

Best friend somehow managed to lock my keys in my car while we were at the mall? Triple A.

Going down to Cali and my tire decided to explode on a very lonely stretch of highway? Triple A.

Those are just the times off the top of my head they've helped me out , and I've gotten nothing but awesome customer service from them.
                    Never stand between a computer technician and their morning coffee.

Comment

When evaluating lock security, keep in mind what's at stake, and who the likely crooks are.

If they have you, and know where you live, why not just make you open the door? Body part removal attacks risk damaging the finger in question, and aren't really worth the trouble for gaining entry to houses - It's easier and safer for the crook to just hide nearby and push you inside as you open the door.

Or that stuff I saw on myth busters where they made a xerox copy of the thumbprint. I'm not sure how realistic their attempts were though.
                      Depends on the lock. A bigger problem is that some readers used to be susceptible to an attack using the oil left on the pad from the last activation.

Personally, I won't have electronic locks because I don't want to have to depend on an electronic device to get in and out of the house. Too many things to go wrong in my mind.
                      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                        Personally, I won't have electronic locks because I don't want to have to depend on an electronic device to get in and out of the house. Too many things to go wrong in my mind.
                        I've seen what happens when there's no mechanical override to those electric-only locks and the power is out long enough to kill the batteries.

IIRC they actually had to dismantle the door itself. (let's just say it wasn't your average house lock )

Comment

OOO. I'll have to look up a "pick gun" to see what that is.
                          I wonder how many people have a pick gun, know how to use, and left it inside the house in a tool box when they locked themselves out? I'll be sure to remember to take my pick gun every time I leave my keys inside.

In my case, Mrs. IA and I both managed to leave our keys inside one day. The locksmith got us back in. I now carry a spare key in my wallet.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            I wonder how many people have a pick gun, know how to use, and left it inside the house in a tool box when they locked themselves out? I'll be sure to remember to take my pick gun every time I leave my keys inside.

In my case, Mrs. IA and I both managed to leave our keys inside one day. The locksmith got us back in. I now carry a spare key in my wallet.
                            I hang the spare key on Souage, our 100 pound husky shepherd mix. She doesn't like strangers.
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                              Call the locksmith!
                              It won't open!
                              "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                                It won't open!
                                Who ya gonna call?

Tankbusters!

When warthog knocks, the door OPENS!

Comment

Working...
                                X