Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Don't give up your day job, buddy
Old 03-28-2020, 02:43 AM
Chairman of the Board

Default Don't give up your day job, buddy

This was my customer, but I wasn't the one being annoyed.

We now close at 8 p.m. This couple came through my register at about 7:50 p.m. They'd obviously been rushing but were not cross (at least not towards me) about it. IIRC, they were buying for some relatives who are in self-isolation.

C - Customer
CW - Customer's Wife
Me
MoD - Manager of the Day

C and CW are at my register. I'm ringing through their stuff.

C: "What's wrong with that guy?"

Me: "What?"

C: "That guy!" He points to a guy in our uniform near the front doors. I have no idea who the guy is, so I just say "I don't know" and get back to work. The customer keeps talking (good-naturedly) about how grumpy the guy is ("He wants me to go home!) but he doesn't actually appear to expect an answer so I say nothing.

CW: "HE wants to go home!" She is busily and briskly piling stuff on the belt. C is just standing at the end of the belt continuing his monologue.

Meanwhile, the guy (who, it turns out, is MoD) comes past my register and C collars him.

C: "Hey, what are you so grumpy for? You sounded like you were gonna throw me out!"

CW: "Eddie!" (Not his real name, obviously)

C: "Well, he does! He's really grouchy!"

CW: "EDDIE!!!"

MoD tosses off a throwaway comment and moves off ... FAST.

Me: "Um ... do you know him?"

Wife: "NO!" (Again, she was not angry at me, but she was becoming increasingly irritated with her husband, telling him several times to "Knock it off!!")

I try to defuse the situation by saying if he wants to annoy somebody, try me, because I am notoriously un-annoyable (okay, not entirely true, but ...) and also, he should come by on Tuesday, when I have a starting time of 7 a.m. and will be working 8 hours ...

Eventually they pay and leave. I would not be surprised to find that hubby ended up in the trunk of their car, LOL.

I didn't see MoD again but joked to one coworker that the guy's wife was about ready to strangle him. CW said "MoD would've beaten her to it; he was ready to clock the guy."

Me: "I thought they were neighbours or something, and that's why the guy was being a pest towards him."

CW: "Nope."

So apparently this is hubby's idea of humour or comedy or something ....

Last edited by Pixelated; 03-28-2020 at 02:46 AM.